Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Which clutch is best??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:49 AM
94.5turbodiesel
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which clutch is best??

I have a 94.5 F-350 CrewC with a 5 spd. It is time to replace the clutch in this rig. I do some pulling and hauling with this rig. I was wondering what people thought of the LuK kits and Valeo kits and how much are people paying for these kits? What is included in the kit, do i need to get any dealer parts for the change over? Ford dealer said it would be $1600-1700 for there clutch....I know there has to be something better out there. Thanks to all who post on this site, i have learned so much about my rig i never know before.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:39 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1600-1700 for a clutch?!?!?!?! I just talked to a dealer the otehr day for a clutch in a 2002 6 spd and it was 960. That's almost double. I skipped the dealer and ordered the LuK kit with flywheel. I would say your best bet is to get the Luk kit with a single mass flywheel replacement. The kit will run you around 550-600 depending on who you buy it from. It has a larger mating surface for the clutch plate and is a HUGE improvement over the stock unit. Just my .02.

Terry

Old 04-21-2004, 03:09 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
16-1700 is not really that bad. When mine needed done three and a half years ago the Ford dealer that owed me a favor quoted 2800 in a two wheel drive. After I finished laughing I went to another shop and had it done for $1400, but that was two weeks BEFORE finding the internet resources, several web sites and the LUK single mass flywheel conversion. For $550 plus $250 labor I could have had the LUK, had a larger and better clutch without the dual mass flywheel problems and had several fancy dinners for me and Lovely Wife in the bargain.

Or a microtuner, downpipe and exhaust.

Or gauges and stainless running boards.

Or new CD player and speakers.

Or - I better quit. I am getting depressed again.

Dave / Believer45

Old 04-21-2004, 03:51 PM
94.5turbodiesel
Mountain Pass
Thanks guys...i think I will look into the Luk kit. I once heard that the reason for the dual mass flywheel was because of vibration, what kind of miles are prople getting out of these aftermarket kits like LuK? Thanks for the help.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:28 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
I haven't seen a mileage posted on the LUK or any of the other single mass conversions. I have, however, seen several posts involving replacement of a dual mass flywheel in under 40,000 miles from a clutch/flywheel replacement due to the flywheel failing again, long before the clutch itself wears out. I will say, though, the design of the dual mass flywheel seems OK when dealing with stock horsepower and torque, it seems the short life comes about when folks start having fun with their trucks.

There are several sources for the LUK and a few other conversion kits.

You can call Dale Isley of TYMAR Performance, his prices seemed best when I was looking into it. www.tymarperformance.com - he does not have an active web site but this gives you his eMail address and phone number. I would call rather than eMail - or do both. He is a busy guy. Great one to work with, though.

CAROLINA CLUTCH is another, there are many more.

Dave / Believer45