1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

'99 PSD shuts off sporadically then starts back up. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 04:27 PM
Sun
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck will just shut off. Sometimes it will start back up on it's own before I can even turn the key and sometimes I have to throw it in neutral and restart it.(while rolling down the freeway)The tach will go to zero during this time as well. Usually it runs perfectly but occasionally it will idle quite rough for a short time before resuming it's usual smooth idle. I went ahead and dropped a new fuel filter in it but that made no difference. Also the injector seals were replaced under warranty recently.
I've heard of problems w/ cam position sensor's on the older Ford Diesels. Maybe the same thing. If so, how would I test it and replace it?
Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:34 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search on here for Cam Position Sensor or something similar too that, you should find good information. I saw a post a while back on how to test it, but it was a few months ago if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.

basstardo

Old 09-27-2002, 05:38 PM
fatbob
Junior User

I began having the exact same problem, and it is the cam position sensor. It tells the electonics when to inject fuel, and if not working properly there is no fuel. Someday it ain't going to restart. You better go ahead and get it replaced.

Old 09-27-2002, 06:22 PM
Sun
Junior User

I have not been able to find any info on it. Any tips. How accesable is it? Where is it? How do I test it?

Old 09-28-2002, 01:15 PM
dale i
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Sep-02 AT 02:24 PM (EST)]Sun -- The CPS (actually called a CMP by Ford) is located on the front of the engine about 10 or 11 oclock if you are standing at the front of the truck looking at the engine. [link:community.webshots.com/photo/30530056/28397988sbHPzeNJEj|Here is a pic of one] so you can see the location. They are held in place with a single 10mm bolt, but it can be quite a bear to get out sometimes. I would recommned using a 6-point socket and a breaker bar while coming at it from under the truck. First, unplug the sensor (it has a plastic clip like most other sensors). Then, remove the bolt. Once the bolt is removed you will need to wiggle it a little to get it out. There is a seal to prevent oil from leaking. If you have a rel hard time getting it out, you can carefully use the positioning bracket as a pry bar. Carefully slip a screwdriver under the bracket between the sensor and the end of the bracket and push on the bracket end to force the sensor out of the hole. Please be carefull since breaking the sensor will make your day a whole lot worse...

If you round off the bolt, you can pick up one at a local hardware store. But, you may consider doing this anyway. Most 8mm bolts have a 12mm head, instead of the 10mm head this one has, which makes getting the bolt out easier the next time you have to take it out. You will want to coat the bolt that goes back in with some anti-sieze to help you out the next time also.

The camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor) is a Hall-effect type sensor that generates a digital frequency while windows in a target wheel pass through its magnetic field. The frequency of the windows passing by the sensor, as well as the width of selected windows, allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to detect engine speed and position.

Old 09-30-2002, 10:31 AM
Sun
Junior User

Guys, Thanks for the help. One more question. Should I just assume this is the cause of my problem and replace it or is there a test of some sort?

Old 10-04-2002, 01:51 AM
Aaron S
Senior User

The only test I know of is on the 99-01 trucks, the tach will not move while cranking when the CPS is bad. You said that your tach would drop off so I would think a new one would solve your problem. Buy it at an International dealer for half the Ford price.
Aaron.

2001 F250 PSD 6-SPD 4x4 SCMT Banks Monster Exhaust EGT, Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp/Trans Temp Gauges

Old 10-04-2002, 09:56 AM
Johncos
Freshman User