Sponsored by: DP Tuner

dilema of mine

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 10:54 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dilema of mine

just straight piped the rig this weekend and it sounds great! couldn't get any better then that. So im ready to move on to the next mod which im thinkin is gonna be shimming the fpr, 10k mod, and 3" downpipe. Now i have some questions for you diesel guru's out there. Ok so i talked to a guy who works at a diesel injection service shop and he has a pretty good chunk of his life wrapped up in diesel injection systems and he was sayin that by shimming the fpr you are bound to blow up a fuel pump or if not that you are sure to screw up your injectors. Is this true? has this ever happened to anyone? next question, regulated map line? what is it? what does it do? is it worth at? any downsides to this mod in the future?where do i learn to do it? any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:59 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
This mod actually makes the engine run smoother. If you raise the pressure too high it could cause damage. There are guys over at The Diesel Stop that have been running with shimmed fuel pressure regulators for years so longevity isn't a problem. Ford actually sells a part for CA engines that raises the pressure, presumably for emissions reasons. I've honestly not heard of any engine problems from this mod. Here's a link that will tell you the how to:

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_i...az/index3.html

You can use either a ball bearing, an allenhead screw, or the California regulator kit from Ford.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:02 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
yeah, i've checked out how to do it and everything and i know how its just i wanna be sure there arent gonna be any problems. Any idea about the regulated map line?

Old 04-20-2004, 11:12 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I have no idea about the regulated map line. Sorry.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:15 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
you wouldn't happen to know which downpipe works best on the '94 - '97 PSD's would you? im wanting to go 3.5" but dont know if its possible? any recommendations? is 4" a possibility?

Old 04-20-2004, 11:21 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I'm not sure if you can use the 3.5" without altering the firewall. I know some people have done it though. Even with the 3" you will be getting rid of that ugly squashed piece of junk that came from the factory.