1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

98 Ranger Issues

Old 04-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Wmeyer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Ranger Issues

Sorry i'm a newb to these forums, I no longer have any internal Dash lights, and my tail lights are out, I was wondering if it was a fuse issue, and which fuse those are on. Incidentally my break lights still work and the door ajar check engine lights all work when the truck starts.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:17 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
The instrument panel fuse is number 7 on the interior fuse panel. It is a 7.5 amp fuse. I'm not sure if the tail lights are on that fuse though. Check number 3 on the same fuse panel. It is a 15 amp fuse. Not sure if that will help though.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:01 AM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at the fuse page in your owners manual. If EVERYTHING thats wired to a particular fuse isnt working, check the fuse.

Last edited by 87 XLT; 04-21-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Wmeyer
New User
So I tried using fuses from the other parts of the truck to go to the ones you had said, and they didn't work, and incidentally number 3 wasn't a 15 amp fuse there was a 7.5 in there and it was intact ... also I bought the truck used so I don't have the owners manual with it. I don't know if it makes a difference but the Ranger I have is a 98 XLT. I can't imagine that the fuse box is different but well hey i've seen weirder things.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Ford's owners site has a link that allows you to download the owners manual, that might help you with the fuse locations.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 04-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Wmeyer
New User
alright new try, I took a voltage meter to all the fuses, and they all read correctly. So let me see if I can't define the problem a little more in depth. when the car starts all dash icons light up fine and when the external lights are turned off they seem to stay that way (for instance the cruise control light) but as soon as I turn my external lights on the cruise control light and some other dash lights dissapear leaving me in the dark.
As far as the external rear lights go, I guess it could be the bulbs but it just seems to me that it's very odd that all those bulbs went out at the same time... and incidentally at the same time that I started to have dash problems.
Any of you cats have any other ideas for me?

Old 04-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Two questions for you...

The lights that go out, are they the illumination light for the dash/gauges, the lights on the steering wheel, the climate control lighting or some other lights?

And not being wise, but you do have the dimmer **** set in the bright setting?

Old 04-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
looking at a 98 wiring diagram when you put on the light switch it switches over to the dimming module. It may be the dimming switch is open or turned so low and the lights are not getting much power. I am a little confusesed as which lights are out. but it sounds like are the ones on the dimmer, instrument,fog switch, 4 wheel switch, dash, speed control, heater, ect. dome, parking,tail,brake, are not on that circuit. is that right?
Dave

Old 04-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My '98 Ford Manuals says this, maybe it'll help with the troubleshooting:

Condition: The Instrument Cluster Illumination Is Inoperative

Possible Sources: Illumination bulbs, Instrument cluster printed circuit, Panel dimmer switch, Circuitry.

GO to Pinpoint Test B

PINPOINT TEST B: THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ILLUMINATION IS INOPERATIVE

B1 - CHECK VOLTAGE TO THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

Place the headlamp switch in the PARK position.
Rotate the panel dimmer switch to the full illumination position.
Measure the voltage between instrument cluster circuit 19 (LB/R), and ground.
Are the voltages greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to B2.
No
REPAIR circuit 19 (LB/R). TEST the system for normal operation.

B2 - CHECK THE GROUND

Measure the resistance between instrument cluster circuit 57 (BK), and ground.
Are the resistances less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to B3.
No
REPAIR circuit 57 (BK). TEST the system for normal operation.

B3 - CHECK THE MINIATURE BULBS

Measure for continuity between the terminals of the miniature bulb(s).
Does continuity exist?
Yes
REPLACE the instrument cluster printed circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.
No
REPLACE the miniature bulb(s). TEST the system for normal operation.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Wmeyer
New User
the lights that are out are the instrument panel lights, and now that I think about it the lights for the AC panel. As far as external lights my tail lights are out. And no I know you're not being wise but yes the dimmer switch is all the way up I work in computers normally so I know all about the smallest things being the correct ones. Incidentally I don't have a dome light I had to take it out because it wouldn't turn off when I tried to turn the truck off, i've had so many problems with this vheicle it's not even funny.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
could be ground.

Again looking at the diagram I see that ground 103 is used for the dash lights and the tail lights. Look under the hood and on the drivers side, just where the big wiring loom goes fordward there should be ground coming out and connected to the body(to inner fender or where the fender bolts to the outer fender.) looking for a heavy black wire with a connection to ground. sorry i can't describe it any better, but you deffenity need it grounded there. if this fails brake out the test light or vom and start looking at the voltage on the dimmer and then grounds.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Check out the tech info thread at the top of the forum and look for the door ajar fix, that will correct the inside light staying on.

Old 04-22-2004, 02:12 PM
bigbellyking
Freshman User
2000 Ford Ranger

Old 07-24-2005, 11:15 PM
dds1043
New User
I have the same problem with my ford ranger and I can tell exactly when it all happened.. I had just installed a new cd deck and an amp with sub. It all worked and I could hear it all. I drove to work. It was light out so I didnt notice anything wrong with it yet. I get out at 12:30am and my front pannel doesnt work, I adjust the drimmer and it doesnt go. I thought, I will just leave my dome lights on and I will get home and fix it. PS my dome lights stay on too you have to push it between the middle and the driverside and it will only have one on then it will turn off, it takes a half hour though. I am driving down the road and I get pulled over. He asks me to get my tail lights fixed. I thought it might be the radio,I tried a few things in the park lot nothing. I checked ever fuse. I knew that it couldnt be a bulb out because all of them went out at once. I even put the stock radio back in and disconnected the amp and sub.. nothing.. have you got yours to work???

Search this Thread