Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

"Cummins 24V vs. Powerstroke vs. Duramax!!"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 08:02 PM
FseriesForever
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What good is a truck that has a motor good for 500k miles, if the steering has to be rebuilt every 20-40k miles. Besides the last information I had was that Ford owned about 40% of Cummins, yet they still use the International engine.

Old 09-30-2001, 01:48 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Power Stroke's engine management system is more in line with Ford's gasoline engine management system in that they both operate in a similar manner (sequentially fired injectors and computer controlled automatic transmissions). We also build what we call an H215 engine which is a Power Stroke Hi-torque engine for the F650 and F750 applications. The Cummins engines are used in heavier applications. That is why Ford doesn't use the Power Stroke type engine in all applications, not to mention the fact that we are close to our production capacity which means we couldn't produce enough engines for another line of trucks if we wanted to. Also, it is my understanding that Ford has divested some of their Cummins stock. They may have been using that stock as an arm twisting device that didn't have anything to do with gaining ownership of the company (I'm just speculating -- I have no knowlege of what Ford's stratigy is).

Old 09-30-2001, 10:16 PM
Tomohawk
Senior User

You may have driven a lemon. Of the experiance I have had with the V10 all have had good acceleration. You can't expect them to accelerate like a car. I know it will outrun the GMC 6.0 V8 and Dodge 8.0 V10. Everyone I know that has a 6.8 loves it.
Ha! What a joke! I own a v-10. They accelerate good. BUT THEY DONT EVEN COME CLOSE TO A GM 5.7 OR A 6.0 !
infact the only thing a ford has on chevy or gmc trucks is 2" of ground clearance. Plain and simple.

~Tomohawk~
https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/User_files/Tomohawk/3bb304fd78e9d567.gif
http://diebinladendie.tripod.com

Old 10-01-2001, 07:15 AM
nothingbutford
Senior User

Ha! What a joke! I own a v-10. They accelerate good. BUT THEY DONT EVEN COME CLOSE TO A GM 5.7 OR A 6.0 !
infact the only thing a ford has on chevy or gmc trucks is 2" of ground clearance. Plain and simple.

First off the GMC 5.7 gets 255hp@4600rpm and 330 lb-ft torque @2800rpm whereas the MIGHTY FORD 6.8 V10 get 310hp@4250rpm and 425 lb-ft torque@3250rpm. In similiar vehicles which do you think is going to have the best accleration? Next, the GMC 6.0 has 300hp@4400 and 360 lb-ft of torque @4000rpm again which do you think would have the best accleration? Also theck out Truck Trend's Sep/Oct issue and you will see that the Ford V10 will almost outdo the Ch**y 8.1 V8. It sounds to me like you love ch**ys so I will not respond to any more of your false accusations on Ford.

Old 10-01-2001, 12:26 PM
Tomohawk
Senior User

I don't care what either of their ratings are. Fords will not build hp as fast as GM's. Proven fact. That is why most hotrodders use GM engines.(excluding the Lightning)
I traded a 97 Silverado in on my 00 F-250. The Chevy was a 1/2 ton 4x4. The F-250 is 4x4. Both have 3.73 gears. The Chevy will absolutely rip my Ford in half.
BTW- for my own info, i don't understand the big problem with aluminum heads on iron blocks. Ford has been doing it with their mighty Triton engines I suppose from the time of introduction.
Along with plastic intakes, valve covers, and fuel tanks.
Atleast they still make their beds out of steel.
~Tomohawk~

Old 10-02-2001, 02:41 AM
lvstang
Senior User

chevyhawk, do you know ANYTHING about trucks or hot rod motors????

Yes, a 5.3 or 6.0 in a 1/2 ton or light 3/4 will out accelerate a V10. It has more to do with the fact that a Super Duty weighs nearly a ton more than those trucks.

Here's a simple question for you: What acclerates faster when unloaded, an OTR tractor with 1500 pound feet of torque or a chevy 5.3 1/2 ton. Does that mean the 5.3 can "rip the Kenworth in half" ???

In other words put 10K behind a V10 and 10K behind a 5.3/6.0 and see what will rip what in half.

You're so far off in your hot rodder statement it's not even worth the time to type why.

Old 10-02-2001, 06:59 AM
Tomohawk
Senior User

Yes, a 5.3 or 6.0 in a 1/2 ton or light 3/4 will out accelerate a V10. It has more to do with the fact that a Super Duty weighs nearly a ton more than those trucks.
Good point. Did not know that.

As far as the hot rodder thing goes, let me make it clear right now I am not one and DO NOT know that much about it. Just what I've been told. Yes I do know people who have Ford hotrods. And I was told this by the same people who have hotrod Fords. They prefer Fords and stick with them.

~Tomohawk~

Old 10-02-2001, 07:00 AM
nothingbutford
Senior User

AMEN. Benjamin

Old 10-02-2001, 07:02 AM
nothingbutford
Senior User

That is AMEN to lvstang. Benjamin

Old 10-02-2001, 07:40 AM
alanscott
Posting Guru

This thread has moved off topic, please remember that this is the Diesel forum.

alanscott

[link:ford-trucks.com/users/alanscott/|http://www.ford-trucks.net/users/alanscott/clubftesml.jpg]...Click!

Old 10-02-2001, 07:59 AM
ryanstruck
Elder User

Tomahawk, I've talked to you before in other threads, laughed, gotten info, but that statement about a 97 Silverado ripping a 2000 Superduty in half is completely off, very far-fetched. When I was in the market for a new rig, I of course went right to Ford. I eat, sleep and breathe Ford. I took out a pre-owned 1999 F250 XLT SD with the 5.4L Triton, the dealer told me to take it for a few hours, I think he really wanted this sale. So I spend a while driving around, cruising everywhere I could think of to get a feel for this monster. It was sweet, and incredible acceleration. Suffice to say I came up to a Z-71 ext. cab at a red light. He was a hot head, had dual exhaust, and felt the need to attempt to intimidate me by revvin the engine. Of course, I'm in the bigger truck, looking down on him, knowing I could tear down a garage with this thing while he'd be stuck in the mud. Light turns green and he lays on it and takes off, I almost but not quite lay on it and stay right along side him. He looks over at me with a real mean look on his face, and that's when I pegged it to the floor and ripped out of there. Took off way in front of him. Next set of lights, rather than pulling up along side me and getting the same embarassment as before, he pulls behind me and didn't bother me anymore. Because of the fact that the SD was upwards of $30,000, I settled for a F150 XLT. And the truck I have now, the 86 F250...don't even think about it! I have not once been taken off the line by any other truck, Chebby, GMC, Dodge, Toyota...nothing. And all I have with that is minor mods, Edelbrock intake and carb, Flowmaster 30 series and headers. So about that whole ripping the SD in half with the Silverado...I don't think so.

Ryan
1986 F-250 HD 4x4
4.10 gears, C6 trany
351W, Edelbrock 351 Performer intake
Edelbrock Performer 600cfm 4bbl carb
Edelbrock Pro-Flo air cleaner
Extreme 4x4 camshaft
Flowmaster 30 series dual exhaust
Custom headers
3" Warn body lift

Old 10-02-2001, 06:01 PM
lvstang
Senior User

Good point. Did not know that.

As far as the hot rodder thing goes, let me make it clear right now I am not one and DO NOT know that much about it. Just what I've been told. Yes I do know people who have Ford hotrods. And I was told this by the same people who have hotrod Fords. They prefer Fords and stick with them.

~Tomohawk~

Very nice response.

I will give you a "little" info on Ford vs. chevy re: hotrodding. The "basic" SBC has been unchanged(up untill the last few years) longer than almost any motor in history. This is why the aftermarket embraced it and spent R&D on it. Ford on the other hand likes to change things. From bellhousing bolt patterens to valve train layouts to front covers to W's and C's and M's and on and on. chevys USED to be much cheaper to build to go fast. About the mid to late 80's this all changed. The Mustang used basically the same motor combo since '79. It took a while but the aftermarket jumped on the Ford band wagon with heads, intakes (both carbed and EFI)
headers and ANYTHING to match the SBC and at the same price. Right now Ford vs. Chevy is a matter of brand loyalty when it comes to the small block since both motors can be built at close to the same price with close to the same power output. Companies like Edelbrock, AFR, TFS make heads for both motors @ the same price(actually TFS might be cheaper for Ford now)

Now back to the topic, the Allison/Duramax is a better diesel combo than anything Ford has.................at the moment.

Old 10-02-2001, 06:31 PM
Tomohawk
Senior User

Ryan. I only speak about my own trucks and my own experiences.
And I know absolutely nothing about the 5.4 Ford.
IVstang. What are the major differances between the Ford diesels and the GM diesels? I've been thinking of trading in on a truck with the PSD. And I do not know anything hardly at all about either brand. Rest assured I am leaning towards the Ford.
But I will invest my money in the best product. Not in the one I THINK is the best.
~Tomohawk~

Old 10-02-2001, 07:34 PM
nothingbutford
Senior User

The PSD has iron block and heads the D-MAX has iron block and aluminum heads. I have heard of problems with the aluminum heads so I don't think the Duramax is as reliable as the PSD. It does have a little more power and the Allison tranny helps all the more but before you get a Duramax you might want to wait a few years to see how reliable it is. The PSD has proven to be very reliable in the past 7-8 years (not sure if it came out in 94 or 95). You might want to waight until next year when the 6.0 PSD comes out. Benjamin.

Old 10-02-2001, 09:21 PM
Tomohawk
Senior User

Ok. Thank you for the advice. I have to say I'm still leaning towards the powerstroke. Except for little small quirks, I've heard nothing but good about them.
~Tomohawk~

Quick Reply: "Cummins 24V vs. Powerstroke vs. Duramax!!"