Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

"Cummins 24V vs. Powerstroke vs. Duramax!!"

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 07:01 PM
bigfordman70
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The size is unnecessary.
Then why did you rent it?

BFM
Recycle...crush a chevy

Old 07-25-2001, 10:53 PM
logan_85
Senior User

I wasn't the one who chose to rent it, will a Ford V-10 out-run a GM 8.1L V-8?

Logan

Old 07-27-2001, 03:37 PM
red99sdv10
Senior User

will a Ford V-10 out-run a GM 8.1L V-8?

Logan
NO

Old 09-03-2001, 10:53 AM
2002PSD
New User

The cummins has the largest journals of them all. Good for 500k miles. Best bet unless you want a crewcab as Dodge doesn't offer it at this time.

The Duramax has aluminum heads on a cast iron block. Remember the Vega? They say the ceramic head gasket will take care of the differential heat expansion rates for the mixed materials.
Also, the manufacturing of the journals is done by some freezer splitting process. See Sep/Oct issue of Truck Trend Mag. Only time will tell and the engine has not been out long enough or in enough trucks to get the feed back. I'd wait on this one.

As for the PSD, It is lighter duty than the Cummins in the amout of iron used in the journals. Good for at least 300k miles. The motor can be upgraded with a good chip, etc to match the power ratings of the Duramax. If you want a crewcab over a longer lasting engine this is your choice.

I did my homework before I ordered My 2002 F250 with the PSD and it comes in 3 weeks. Can't wait

Old 09-03-2001, 10:26 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why people are brainwashed that Cummins is the best engine on the planet and its not. International has been building engines for years and use the 7.3s in their medduty trucks. I like the sound of the PSD myself as it doesn't have that loud clatter like the Cummins. If International and Ford ever figure out how to drop in a 466E engine in Ford trucks that would be cats azz.

Some of these people keep harping about how long Cummins last but who keeps a P/U for 500,000 miles because a truck here with that many miles its in the junk heep.

I'am gonna keep buying Fords because its number 1 in my books and atleast Ford doesn't have to beg people to buy their vehicals like Dodge does.

Old 09-04-2001, 06:40 PM
logan_85
Senior User

I'd deffinatley agree about people saying "The Cummins is SO wonderful." I hear of lot of "while I can add this", and I don't understand why people always say that the I-6 is the obvious choice, because it isn't. In American Semis, I-6 rules. In eruopean countries V-8 rules. In pcik-ups alone, 2 of the Big 3 went with V-8, but the other went with I-6. That makes me wonder what Ford and GM see in the V-8s, or what Dodge sees in them. The best thing I can think of is to have more universal mounts by using all V engines in their line-ups. Straight engines are probbably cheaper to make(one bank of cylinders = half as many of some parts), but you almost never see them.

Logan

Old 09-04-2001, 11:06 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru

Logan the V8 configuration is more compact alowing for more displacement engines used in P/Us. I have no problems with V8 diesels as the old IHC engines are pretty durable.

A Cummins B is about the largest Inline engine you could squeeze into a P/U truck for lenght and height. The reason why semi trucks use Inline 6 engines is V configuration engines are too wide but enough length and height for a Inline engine. The 8v92 detroit and the 3408 Cat were used in trucks and did produce alot of power but burned alot of fuel.

The one benefit of the PSD it has more power stock than a stock Cummins B. International rates the 444 engines upto 330hp and 600 ftlbs in its truck applications and thats before any other high performance add ons.

Have to wait an see what the new Mercedes diesel is going tobe like when Dodge starts using it when Dailmer says bye bye to Cummins.

Old 09-05-2001, 02:50 PM
rupert
New User

Where can I find real mileage #'s for diesel pickups? With & without loads, ect.? Did some homework before getting a '01 F350 2 wheel PSD. HEARD BAD THINGS ABOUT Dodge front ends, brother-in-law loves his Duramax but he's 100% Chevy no matter what. Duramax too new for me. Have heard from unreliable sources (internet) that besides the heads the block is also aluminum..Anybody knowm for sure?

Old 09-05-2001, 11:27 PM
stroker96
New User

cummins run 500,000 miles, so what? my 96 psd has more than that on it and i know several other hot shot drivers here in okc and texas that also have psd's with half a million on them, and no my truck is not in a junk pile it is running horse trailers 2 at a time (empty) to dallas from okc and back with an travel trailer or something else 6 days a week at 80+mph and still does not smoke. cummins is ok but dont knock a psd till you have driven one half a million miles!!!!!

Old 09-08-2001, 06:39 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru

The Duramax has a cast iron block and aluminum heads.

Old 09-09-2001, 07:35 PM
derehe
New User

Joe,
Do you know if the 6.0L Powerstroke will be Alum heads on Iron block? Also, are the specs published yet? I'd like to do some comparing to the 7.3L before I buy. I emailed you before and thought my mind was made up but now I'm not sure.

Bryan

Old 09-10-2001, 07:34 AM
nothingbutford
Senior User

Joe,
Do you know if the 6.0L Powerstroke will be Alum heads on Iron block? Also, are the specs published yet? I'd like to do some comparing to the 7.3L before I buy. I emailed you before and thought my mind was made up but now I'm not sure.

Bryan
I am not sure but I think it will have iron heads. It will have 305 hp @3600rpm and 550 torque @2000rpm. It is supposed to get better fuel economy. BUT like the duramax it gets its power at a higher rpm and will be quieter.

Old 09-10-2001, 11:54 PM
logan_85
Senior User

you know, the suprising thing about this, is that I'll bet a lot of people around here will praise the 6.0L for its extra 5HP even if it higher up in the RPMs, just like Chevy people praised the D-Max for its extra 10HP? at a slightly higher RPM.

Anyways, I think Ford will probbably add Aluminum heads simply because the D-max did it. I have read that Aluminum heads will add more power simply because of the meatal, so I wouldn't be suprised if Ford put Aluminum on. I'd imagine that those Aluminum heads are probbably somehow treated for the heat. It just doesn't make sense, no matter how much you hate GM, to think they would do something so stupid.

Logan

Old 09-12-2001, 04:19 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru

The new Power Stroke will have cast iron heads and block. When GM first announced the coming of the Duramax they said they would produce 100,000 units the first year and because of their aluminum heads they immediatly started having head gasket problems (keep in mind that this is a medium duty engine that is likely to be called upon to tow fifth wheel trailers and the like). Also, they affiliated themselves with Isuzu because of their reputation regarding diesel engines in the past. Our people were talking all sorts of stories of doom and gloom because of their expectations of how deep GM was going to cut into our market share. We've got a few people laid off but it has more to do with the slowing of the economy than the loss of market share. Anyway, they produced somewhere in the neighborhood of 16,000 units and about half of those went for other than heavy pick up trucks (so I've been told). I was told that we have tested aluminum heads on our engines and we haven't been able to get the longevity we want from aluminum (keep in mind that although aluminum is easier to machine it is much more expensive than iron). The tooling we are installing to produce this new engine is designed for a cast iron head so I wouldn't expect a change from that plan on this engine.

Old 09-13-2001, 07:47 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru

Saw my first Duramax powered Chevy yesterday. GM must not be too proud of the engine. The little decal on the fender is so small, it looks like a dirt spot.

Quick Reply: "Cummins 24V vs. Powerstroke vs. Duramax!!"