1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I WANT MORE POWER! Engine swap to 460 Big Block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:16 AM
jvcajw
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I WANT MORE POWER! Engine swap to 460 Big Block?

Hey, how is everybody doing?

I’m new here (as you can tell). I have a 1981 Ford bronco with 302 and 4 speed. I have pretty much completely restored my bronco, like: paint, interior, drive-train (tranny, wheel bearings etc. etc. etc.) 4” lift kit with 33” tires and, so on…

The one thing that I have NOT replaced is the engine, I have put a few mods like: intake, new carburetor, headers, ignition system, and that’s about it.
But, I’m still very unhappy with the power it has. I’m not interested in burning rubber for a city block or anything like that. I just want to maybe chirp the tires once and a while, or when I tow some thing like: a 6x12 Uhual, or a small utility trailer loaded up, I want the engine to be able to hold the 65 or 75 MPH as I’m driving, not bog down and slow all the way down to 45 MPH in 3rd gear when drive up a reasonable grade.

So, I’m determined to put a 460 big block in, I have ran across a few sites about swapping a big blocks but there kinda vague on exactly how and what to do in the swapping process. Some people say you need a 2” body lift others say the engine will fit without the body lift. Some say, you need to change the power steering pump others say you don’t need too. Also, what about the Air Conditioning can I use my original AC compressor (that I just replaced) or do need something else? The oil pan. Some say: “you must have the deep sump oil pan” others say the original oil pan from the 460 (if it came out of a truck) will work fine. Almost every body says: “get an engine out of a van and all the hard to find parts or done” usually that means all the automatic trans linkage is the “hard to find parts” I don’t have an Automatic nor do I want one. So, will an engine and manual trans out of a F-350 work will in my Bronco?

I already have installed a 4 row aluminum radiator that capable of a handing a 460 and I have 2 1/2” dual exhaust installed so, some of the item’s that everybody says you need to upgrade is done.
One idea that I had is: buying a 460 with trans for $100 (some guy is selling) and using the engine as a trade in to a Checker Auto parts or a engine exchange place, so I can buy a new rebuilt engine and then I would use the trany off the $100 engine trany purchase. Is this a good idea? Or can I use my existing trany with the new 460 engine?

One main question is: Does anybody have or know of a complete list with part numbers of every thing that needs to be done to complete the swap? I want to go with a carbureted 460. What years and models of engines and tranys would work well in my Bronco?

Thank you for taking the time to read all this. I would very much appreciate any suggestions or help anybody can offer. Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2004, 11:27 AM
68torino
Posting Guru
You can swap in a 460, I believe you will need the body lift for clearance of headers, plugs and such. A small block trans will not bolt up to a 460, different bolt patterns. You will also need to upgrade your springs to handle the weight. So you are looking at motor mount, crossmember change overs. New springs, shocks and new driveshaft.
For that amount of time,work and money you could do a small block upwards of 454 cubic inchs, somewhere around 600 horses and when you open the hood it will look 'stock' except for what would change for valve covers and intake. If you go aftermarket. I like 'sleepers' that run like scalded apes and look stock when you pop the hood.

Met a guy that had an '88 T-bird with a stroked 351W. It would run 11.5 in the quarter, hit the traps and he would kick on the air, turn up the stereo and cruise back. Pop the hood and the only thing different was headers and a DUI distributor.

Old 04-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Capone
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a stroker engine, you can get a stroker shortblock with some Edelbrock Perf or AFR 165 heads and slap a smog happy edelbrock performer intake along with your current carb (if emission laws allow you to upgrade carbs, do so)

this way you won't have to make chassis mods, trans mods, drastic cooling upgrades etc etc...

Stroker shortblocks will be same dimensions as a 302 but will give you the kick that a 351 or better has. (depending on cam and compression as well as intake/head flow)

Or...you can go with a stroked 351 and slap a smog happy intake and carb on it....and get the most HP for your buck.

you won't need chassis upgrades..just an alum $175 radiator.
your trans should bolt right in....your Y pipe will need upgrading (351w are slightly wider)

I am assuming you will do your exh anyway.

Last edited by Capone; 04-20-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:48 PM
ksparks
Freshman User
When I moved, I traveled 1800 miles on I-80 from Nevada to Minnesota, pulled a small trailer with extra tires, spare parts, tools, etc..and the Bronco was full, to include the front bench seat. I estimate I had about 2500 lbs between the trailer and Bronco.

It was summer and the AC was never turned off. I easily cruised 70-75 mph with my trusty 302 with 140K on it. Never an issue with maintaining speed except when climbing the mountains coming out of Salt Lake City.

Good luck on your conversion though...if you're gonna do something, do something big !

Old 04-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Broncobirdy
Senior User
I vote for the 351 stroker. It comes out to a 393 I think??? I love the sleeper look, kinda sneaky. A stroked 351 could easily get you over 375 HP. It all about the $$$.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:12 AM
wiggit
Senior User
have an 80 here with a 460 and no lift needed.I you get a 460 that had or has ac brakets yours should fit on it.If not machine shop with make them for you as i did for 100.00 Ran all my original equipment no changes except motor mounts,oil relocation unit,powermaster starter.everything fits with headers and all.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:24 AM
90ebbronc
Elder User
Or you could rebuild, bore out, and supercharge the 302 .

Old 04-21-2004, 01:56 PM
jvcajw
New User
Info Needed

Thanks everybody for all the info!

BUT, there’s contradictions! witch is the one thing I was trying to avoid. 68torino says: I need a body lift. Wiggit says: I don’t need a body lift. Witch is it?

Is rebuilding a 351w out to a 393 going to be cost effective than just putting a stock 460 in, with considering all that the 460 in tells?

Rebuilding the 302 and super charging it would most likely cost, way more than the stock 460 swap. A super charger is around $3,000 plus the cost of the engine rebuild. (1,000-2,000) Also if I super charge the 302 then I would need to rebuild the 302 to be able to “handle” the added HP that the super charger would create. Plus is worth or, is it cost effective on a daily driver to super charge this Bronco just so it will hold 75MPH on a reasonable grade on the free way towing a small utility trailer?

Hey WIGGIT,
Is there any way you can list or tell me exactly what all you did to swap your Bronco? Like: year of engine and what it came out of (truck, van), year of tranny and what model, motor mount part numbers, header part numbers, what transfer case did you use and model year of, did you need to move the cross member?, did you need to lengthen or shorten the drive shaft?, cooling upgrades, exhaust mods, did you pull the front clip to install the engine or did it fit thru the hood ok?, and any thing you can think of would help me greatly!

Old 04-21-2004, 05:32 PM
wiggit
Senior User
Well here goes, engine came from a 71 lincoln and it bolted up too the c6&transfer case that was in the truck.Went in through the hood.Motor mounts i ordered for the swap didn't work so i had an machine shop make them and the ac braket.The rest of the stuff bolted up with the brackets that came from that year.Needed an oil filter reloction unit now the filter sits up by the drivers side batt tray.My headers where just a set to fit this app and i had them ceramic coated.The three core rad was brand new and worked fine.No longer or shorter parts needed .Look at my gallery the engine bay is in there.It is pretty simple swap for me with the 400m out 460 in.One thing i did notice was the heat under hood from the bigger motor and the headers so i got another set and ceramic coated they and it helped a lot(hot air under hood)not engine running hot.I thought it was a big deal too until i did it.If yours has a 302 you will need some springs from a truck with a bigblock or just buy them there cheap.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:00 AM
jvcajw
New User
Question

Thank you WIGGIT! But, are you sure your talking about the 1980 thru 1986 broncos? I have a 1981 what year is yours? Because I don’t think 1980 thru 1986 bronco originally came with a 400m? But, I could be wrong… Maybe you can clarify it for me?

Old 04-22-2004, 04:45 AM
Txquadhunter24
Elder User
easiest way is to find a 80+ truck with a 460 and 4spd. it'll drop right into your bronco with 460 swap mounts found at www.landlproducts.com you won't even need the whole tranny. Just the flywheel and bellhousing. your 302 bellhousing will unbolt from the tranny and mate right to the 460 bellhousing. use a set of headers for a 80-86 4x4 F150 you'll be set. I planned to do this swap to my 86 but backed out to to the trouble of swapping a EFI system back to a carb'd system.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:34 AM
4xBroncoMF
Junior User
460s are dogs not worth the time and effort you can get more power out of a 351 for cheaper than u can get the same power out of a 460. 460s are good for big works that tow 24/7 less strain ont he motor but besides that unless you are building the drag bronco and are willing to put up a morgage for your truck go small block dude....i agree with the stroker

Old 04-22-2004, 09:00 AM
wiggit
Senior User
Take a look at my gallery ,truck came with a 351 and i blew it,put a 400 in it and blew it so now in the hole sits a 460 with 450hp & 550 fpt. Look at the truck,click on my name drop down box appears and veiw my gallery.80 bronco changed the mirrors too newer but its an 80 for sure.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:27 AM
ddfunnyfarm
Freshman User
If you are interested, we just finished rebuilding our 302 for about $1100. Thus far, (we are still breaking it in), it is quite impressive. If you want the details, let us know and we will post them.

-Di

Old 04-22-2004, 01:12 PM
fordbronco84
Freshman User
I have a question?

Can the frame handle a built 460?

I am currently building the third frame due to the fact that stock Bronco frames flex and twist until they are permently bent.
( having this frame boxed)

I have a 84' with a Big 6,T18,NP208 w/35' tires and 4:10 gears.
Mod to heavy offroad use but still nothing to bad.

Quick Reply: I WANT MORE POWER! Engine swap to 460 Big Block?