1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Questions, Questions and More Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Chevy_Monza
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions, Questions and More Questions

A couple of quick questions, I'll start with the easy ones

I found a 'brand new' bed. The company bought a F350 New, and had a custom body put on it. The bed is now for sale. It's an eight foot bed, and my truck which currently has a flatbed had an eight foot bed. My truck is an 82 F150. The bed is advertised as fitting an 87 - 91 truck. I thought the bed would bolt up, but the body lines might not match ?

It is also a Duallie bed ? So it has the Fender Flares ? They just bolt on, if I unbolt them, will it be a standard looking bed ? I don't suppose the bed is painted underneath the Flares ? (My truck is red with a silver band in the middle) as is the bed...For 1500 it seems a damn good deal (They also throw in a new bumper)

The other question, I thought I had this problem licked. My truck is overheating again. If I Have a leak it is a very minor one in the coolant system. It will hold pressure. I've replaced the water pump this winter as the old one started to leak. The radiator is an aftermarket 3 core rad.

The truck will overheat in standstill traffic. If it is moving everything is OK, unless it is at free way speeds (over 100KM/h) 60MPH. The temp starts to creep up. I put in an 180 Thermo stat, as in traffic it will generally heat up to abotu 195, and then stop overheating ? On the freeway it keeps overheating, once it tops 200, I usually pull off to the side, drop it in neutral, and within a min it is back at 180 ?

The hoses are new, and even a slightly plugged three core rad SHOULD keep it cool at freeway speeds. The pump is new, and thermostart works ? The truck generally runs like crap, but I guess the motor has many miles on it. I've never set the timing on the truck, would incorrect timing cause an overheating position ? if so like I described ?

Advise ?

MONZA

Old 04-19-2004, 08:15 PM
utbroncodriver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've seen 87 beds on 80-86 bodystyle trucks so i think it will bolt on didnt look very good since the lines don't match up 1500 also seems a little steep to me i have a bed in good condition off an 86 it was perfect when i bought it and i got it for 500 it's still in good shape and i'd sell it for 350 ... and incorrect timing could cause overheating i would set the timing then if that doesnt do anything take it to a good radiator shop they can test it and usually tell you exactly what's wrong i was having the same sort of problems it turned out that my head gaskets were leaking slightly