Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best quiet exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 10:40 PM
67Yv8t
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best quiet exhaust?

I've read all of the Get the loud one arguments. So I'm looking for the other side. I think my ideal exhaust criteria would be

reduced backpressure
Easy installation
And quiet. AS long as I know its giving me better performance I'm quite happy with the guy next to me not even noticing me.

Will a five inch exhaust provide "noticably" better performance? or just "noticably" more noise?

I've seen pictures of the inside if a PSD aftermarket muffler that just has some can-opener holes along the interior. does this provide "noticably" more back pressure, and does it make for "noticably" less noise.

I highlighted the word "noticably" because I know there are theoretical advantages that could be calculated to a 1/10th of a Hp. I don't think I'd notice.

Thakns in advance

Old 12-04-2002, 02:55 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Best quiet exhaust?

I've opened the exhaust on mine about as much as you can, and mine isn't much louder than stock, maybe 10-15%. After running a straight pipe, I decided to calm it down a little, and added a huge Donaldson muffler. It sounds quite civilized now. Going larger than 4" isn't necessary, unless you're going to be putting down more than 450hp. I got a noticeable improvement in performance when I went to the 4" system, especially from the midrange on up. In general, the more free-flowing your exhaust is, the louder it will be, and conversely, the quieter it is, the more restrictive. I tried to find the happy medium.

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags on all four corners, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter,
4R100 pan, Red Line synthetic in transfer case and both diffs, reverse shackle kit.
And a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)
Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/quadzilla100

Old 12-04-2002, 07:33 AM
myst
Senior User
Best quiet exhaust?

with a big muffler you are going to have more backpressure.

Old 12-04-2002, 02:38 PM
67Yv8t
New User
Best quiet exhaust?

Thanks for your insight.

Did you have a "noticable" loss of performance when you added the muffler? Or is it just a little quieter? I'm trying to find the sweetspot, where performance is not affected and noise is reduced.

I guess I'm asking that question of everyone that installed an exhaust and converted between straight pipe and muffler. Could you tell a real difference? was it slower? was it quieter?

I believe, for exhaust piping the difference in products are:
1. SS/Aluminized Steel
2. Wall thickness
3. Ease of install
4. no plexpipe, fewer connectors.
5. Price

otherwise brand won't make a lot of difference. Gibson, bullydog, banks, its just steel tubing, cut and formed. Tell me if I'm missing something.

I already understand the larger the straw the easier it is to suck, conncept. No argument about replace it all from the air intake to the tailpipe.

But when it comes to mufflers I think there are some critical issues. The manufacturer has a lot of potential technology to add. When Race cars were required to have mufflers, the teams were concerned about loss of performance, but technology showed little or no loss. by directing the flow, and not impeding the flow, they could accomplish lower noise without noticable restriction.

Everyone selling exhuast systems, talks about the 5 points above, but says absolutely nothing about the muffler, other than "Muffler Included". Is there a difference in Mufflers? Which Muffler brand will provide the "best performance"/"least noise".

The muffler that had a bunch of can opener holes punched it the sides, was a straight through 4" pipe, I can't imagine much restriction, but I would also imagine not much noise reduction. Others that have baffles and chambers might make it "baby sleeping quiet" by choking the hell out of it. I'd like to know the middle ground.

I bought my f350crewlong4x4psdauto new in 2001, and am glad I put a diablo 78hp chip in it. The gauges were fun and informative too. But now I want to go to the next level, exhaust, intake, hotter chip, probably a switchable chip. I just don't want to spend the next two months of weekends rebuilding my exhaust to find what really works the best.

Old 12-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Best quiet exhaust?

Myst- You're right, to a point. This particular muffler will flow more than three times the air that a Powerstroke can produce, so there isn't any restriction with this muffler. It's got a 4" pipe running through a 8-9" can with holes in the pipe to allow some of the sound to soak into the packing in the can. The muffler was designed for big rigs, and isn't restrictive on a Powerstroke at all.
67Yv8t- I didn't notice any real difference in the performance once I put the muffler on. Having only my "butt-dyno" to go by, the truck seemed quicker with the muffler, but it's very possible that I was putting my foot into it farther, since it wasn't making as much noise. There probably wasn't any real difference in performance.
Are you familiar with "flutter?" It's the sound that comes out of the tailpipe on a free breathing turbo diesel. To some, including me, it's not a nice sound, but I was brought up on small block Chevies, so I got used to that sound. Any free breathing exhaust system will allow flutter to get out of the tailpipe, unless it's restrictive. To reduce flutter, you increase restriction. If you aren't familiar with flutter, decide whether or not you want it coming from your truck before you decide on an exhaust system. I went for minimum restriction first, then added the muffler to quiet it down a little and to try to eliminate the flutter. The muffler didn't restrict the flow, but didn't eliminate the flutter, either. I'll live with the flutter, even if I'm not crazy about it, rather than restrict the engine. I love my low EGT's too much to mess with it.
I hope this helps.

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags on all four corners, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter,
4R100 pan, Red Line synthetic in transfer case and both diffs, reverse shackle kit.

Old 12-04-2002, 05:01 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best quiet exhaust?

I replaced my exhaust with a home made 4" that exits in the stock location. I too ran it straight for a while but couldnt get use to the flutter. The first time I drove past a privacy fence I was kinda embarassed that sound was coming from my truck. It just didnt sound healhy. So I bought a 4" BD muffler from a guy off ebay and installed it. I didnt notice any reduction in sound or performance, but it did get rid of the flutter, while the turbo's sweet whine still sings out. I cant recal just how long the BD muffler is, but it's a stubby lil guy.

And natrurally the addition of a good flowing air intake would improve things also, as you said.

Old 12-06-2002, 02:50 PM
67Yv8t
New User
Best quiet exhaust?

Thanks for the input.

I'm going to assume a 4" exhaust with a reasonable muffler will not noticeably affect performance.

If anyone out there has seen a noticable reduction in performance from the installation of a muffler. I'd like to know. Especially the brand or design of the muffler.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 12-06-2002, 08:15 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Best quiet exhaust?

Though a 4" pipe is only 0.5" larger than a 3.5" pipe, the volume of air that it flows is about 30% greater. Unless it's a really restrictive design, I can't imagine a 4" muffler reducing the performance.

Quadzilla

Old 12-06-2002, 08:33 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Best quiet exhaust?

As long as you stick with a straight through degin any loss in performance will be so small nobody would ever miss it. A good place to get a muffler for a good price is www.summitracing.com You can get a 4" or 5" Dynomax muffler there for around $35-$40. The guy down the road has one on his 2000 and it sounds as good as mine.

Old 12-07-2002, 04:50 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Best quiet exhaust?

Bryan- are you telling me that a $35-40 Dynomax muffler will eliminate the flutter? Is it a straight-through design? And you admit that it sounds as good as your truck? Are you feeling all right? You never say that any other truck is equal to yours! Who are you, and what have you done with Bryan!!

Quadzilla

Old 12-07-2002, 09:05 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Best quiet exhaust?

Yea I know. Especially to a 99+ guy! Oh well, I gotta give the guy credit. He's built one heck of a truck.

Old 12-08-2002, 08:27 AM
70spoiler
Senior User
Best quiet exhaust?

what is the flutter wich is mentioned in post(running no muffler)?i am building a system out of 304 stainless lightwall daiy tube(polished,and mandrel bent fittings),and am planning to run whith out muffler or cat.

Old 12-08-2002, 11:20 AM
13MWZ
Elder User
Best quiet exhaust?

It's hard to describe the sound. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but not realy. "Flutter" is the only way I've been able to describe it. It's made by the turbo that when unmuffled can be heard through the exhaust

Old 12-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Best quiet exhaust?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Dec-02 AT 12:29 PM (EST)]Another way to describe it: do you know the sound of talking into a fan? Where the sound is chopped up by the fan blades? That's what happens to your exhaust as it passes through the turbo. The stock muffler was restrictive enough that you couldn't hear it, but with a free flowing exhaust, it's real noticeable.

Quadzilla

Old 12-08-2002, 01:28 PM
BrianL
New User
Best quiet exhaust?

Believe it or not the length of the pipe from the back of the muffler to the outlet has a lot to do with the sound of the exhaust. Sound waves and airflow in an exhaust contribute to this. Sound waves travel in a wave pattern in the exhaust pipe. If you can find the right length you can either make it very loud or considerably quiet itself. This is why you see some trucks that have a larger opening at the outlet than the size of the pipe it is just not to make it look cool. This uses sound waves against itself to kill the loud exhaust sounds. You could always try to put a pipe over the outlet pipe and gradually slide it to make it longer. This will find the exhausts sound wave tone. I don't know if this helps anybody but I hope it does.

Brian

Quick Reply: Best quiet exhaust?