Sponsored by: DP Tuner

exhaust addition

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 06:21 AM
coachhomer
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
exhaust addition

Hey was just wondering how hard it is to change to a 4" exhaust? I am going to chip my truck and have read that the addition exhaust is the way to go. Is the $200 rapidflow exhaust pipe sold on this site good enough? How long will it last? Any examples or instructions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you to all who make this site possible, this is an awesome forum!
scott

Old 12-09-2002, 10:06 AM
JoeBoost
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust addition

The bigger the exhaust with a Diesel the better as far as i know.
The faster the exhaust can get out , the more efficiently the turbo/motor will work. As far as ease of installation , i am not sure.
I am sure any decent exhaust shop could install the new system without a issue...

Old 12-09-2002, 10:52 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exhaust addition

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Dec-02 AT 11:52 AM (EST)]Installing a 4" exhaust is fairly easy. You just have to unclamp it from the turbo if you get a complete system with the downpipe and remove it from all of the hangers. It is easiest if you lube up the hangers a little bit in order for them to come out easier. Most exhausts utilize the factory hangers and are bolt up systems with no welding required, so installing the new system is just a matter of clamping the down pipe to the trbo and bolting up the rest of the exhaust. When I did mine, I took a sawzall to my stock pipe after the muffler to make it easier to get out.
As for the exhaust on the site not sure, I run a different one.

Old 12-09-2002, 03:49 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
exhaust addition

Bigger is better, to a point. A 4" system will flow 30% more air than a 3.5" system, and is all you really need until you get up to 400+ horsepower. I put my 4" system together with the following pieces:
Hypermax downpipe $130
10' section of 4" pipe $50 (a lot of the pipe was left over.)
Huge Donaldson muffler $65
4" mandrel bent tailpipe $45 (available at Advance Auto Parts)
Clamps, hangers, etc $30
Total $320 (the total would be $255 without muffler)

That system, along with my TYMAR intake allow me to run an intercooler chip in my truck, and I can't get the EGT's up to 1100*. I'm sure that's all the exhaust system I'll ever need. I hope this helps.

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags on all four corners, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter,
4R100 pan, Red Line synthetic in transfer case and both diffs, reverse shackle kit.
And a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)
Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/quadzilla100

Old 12-11-2002, 08:50 PM
Mizzou
Senior User
exhaust addition

Did you buy the 4" pipe and have it bent or what? I guess it would be better that getting the banks kit.

Old 12-12-2002, 04:11 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
exhaust addition

The only bending that needed to be done was in the tailpipe section, and that was already done. Not a bad deal for about $45. Everything else about my system was "cut and clamp".

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags on all four corners, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter,
4R100 pan, Red Line synthetic in transfer case and both diffs, reverse shackle kit.
And a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)
Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/quadzilla100

Old 12-12-2002, 04:45 PM
TK Mac
New User
exhaust addition