performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 06:53 AM
coachhomer
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
performance questions

Hey all, I have a couple performance questions:

1. I have heard the installing a chip will not void the warranty, will the addition of an afe air filter and a performance exhaust void the warranty?

2. I am going to buy the SCMT for my 2002 psd, I don't tow anything and I drive like an old lady, I just want a little extra get up for safety reasons. Do I need to go with a performance exhaust if I have an afe filter?

3. Will I need to use a pyrometer or gauge of some sort?

4. What do those gauges do specifically?

I am a new diesel owner and have a lot to learn, but I think I am in the right place. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Holidays!
Scott

Old 12-12-2002, 12:34 PM
f_pumillo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance questions

SCMT will give you the extra punch you need when you want it.
You will get better fuel economy, more performance increases and reduce EGT with the bigger exhaust.
The gauges are a must for towing over 4K pounds.
I run the SCMT to the 80 HP setting and when towing, put the tow program in and return to factory any time I bring it back to FOrd.

AS for warranty none of that stuff voids your warranty!

2001 Excursion 7.3 PSD 3.73 rear, Helliwig Sway, SCMT

Old 12-12-2002, 03:24 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
performance questions

I don't know where your heard that a chip won't void the warranty, but if Ford knows you use a chip it certainly will void anything they feel has been damaged. The warranty the engine at the prescribed setting, not well above the HP and torque coming out of the factory.

Old 12-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
performance questions

As far as I know, you're both right. Installing a chip won't void the warranty, but it will void warranty repair work for any damage that was caused by the presence of the chip. Having a chip won't void a warranty claim on brakes, or steering, etc. But, if you melt your intake valves by running too hot, your chip would be to blame, and your warranty would not cover that. That's why my recommendations come in sets of three:
1) Guages
2) Exhaust
3) Chip
In that order. If you install the exhaust system to keep things cooler, and guages to monitor the vital signs, then the chip won't do any damage you won't know about in advance from the guages.

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags on all four corners, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter,
4R100 pan, Red Line synthetic in transfer case and both diffs, reverse shackle kit.
And a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)
Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/quadzilla100

Old 12-13-2002, 06:16 AM
f_pumillo
Senior User
performance questions

I stand corrected. Another nice feature of the SCMT, ability to return system to "stock" settings without having to access the EEC. Agree on priorities, guages, exhaust, chip.

Old 12-13-2002, 09:20 AM
bricot
Elder User
performance questions

On the other hand if your not going to tow anything and you want to just use the standard (40-60) HP program (best for fuel mileage) you don't need the guages, etc, although I would still suggest a downpipe.

I was told this when I purchased the SCMT and now that I have my guages in, that has certainly been confirmed so far.

If you have the money I would certainly agree with the above posts, maybe with the exception that if you don't tow and use the standard program you could get the SCMT first.

Old 12-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
performance questions