Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone got any URLs for rear brake shoe replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 04:34 PM
luke_trash
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got any URLs for rear brake shoe replacement?

It's been a year since I've had my truck, and I've never gotten around to putting new brake shoes on the rear. The one on the passneger side has a cracked friction material surface and the brakes make a grinding noise (it's not metal on metal.. just that the friction material is loose)

I want to remove them, but I've never done it, and I don't want to screw anything up. Are there any good sites with PICTURES that document how to do this? The Haynes manual I have is a little ambiguous.

It's funny.. of the 8 other vehicles I've owned, they've all had rear brake disc/pad setups.

I have already purchased the pliers and something with a screwdriver handle to do this job, so I think I'm ready to go. I just need pics to see what I have to do

Basically, I have the two tools shown below (not the cylinder hone)

Old 04-07-2004, 05:07 PM
LoosMaster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if you got my e-mail. I have the info I can send to you in WordDoc.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
It is pretty simple. Get you a haynes or chiltons manual so that you have some pics to reference to and it will give you detailed step by step instructions

Old 04-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
my haynes manual was kinda stupid and confuseing to me...
Didn't explain what i wanted to know. Just a lot of pictures taht are hard to see. =(

Old 04-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
Ok how good are you at putting things back together that you took apart? Get the rebuild kit clean the guts of the drum off with some brake cleaner and take a few snap shots of your own the drum should pull right off and bingo there it is. Look at it for a minute and that will give you a good idea. What always works with me is when I can for every part I take off i put the new one right back in place you will not always be able to do that but sometimes you can.