just installed diablo sport chip - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Computer Chips & Tuners  

just installed diablo sport chip

Old 04-06-2004, 05:32 PM
super g
New User
super g is starting off with a positive reputation.
just installed diablo sport chip

I just installed diablo sportchip in my 2003 ford ranger 4.0 fx4. I have gibson dual exhaust and air force air managment. I filled up with mobil 93 . Just took my first ride and I think ??? i noticed slight difference in power and shifting (5 speed auto). The engine seems to be idling slower 600-700 rpm. I have not had opertunity to try to see if speed limiter is overridden , 92 mph lockout before chip. Dont know if its my imagination but engine seems to run smoother and quieter. I will take a ride on highway later tonight.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:29 PM
ChevySniper
Senior User
ChevySniper is starting off with a positive reputation.
interesting....

My dad noticed a huge difference without me even telling him. I was waiting to see if he noticed.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:14 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
The idle change is normal. Ford computers have to learn the idle every time the computer has been disconnected (or the battery). It will sometimes take a hundred miles or so, and several ignition key cycles to settle back to a normal idle.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:40 PM
super g
New User
I finished install of diablo sport chip. I noticed a improvement in transmission shifting first. Shift (on 5spd auto) were quicker and firmer, no sliding into gears,especially 4th gear. Next i noticed more engine power ,mostly during acceleration. The engine seemed to open up and run free and easy. I toomy fx4 ranger on the highway and was able to go over 92 mph without the speed limiter locking in. I run mobil 93 octane and have had no pinging. The only drawback is the higher cost for fuel, about $2.50 -$3.00 per fill up, but i knew that before install. All in all I consider the upgrade worth the extra $$'s . The diablo gives my ranger the little extra power and excitment that I felt was missing- needed. What''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s next a supercharger??!!

2003 fx4 supercab, gibson dual exhaust, mafs, airforce air managementand diablo sport chip.

Last edited by super g; 04-20-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:28 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
AG4.0 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have also noticed the higher fuel cost, but I am also noticing better mileage so my fill ups are less frequent. I got me a discount card at a local gas station that discounts premium $.06 and regular only $.02 so I only pay .08 more for the premium so I think I'm actually coming out ahead at the pump. Love the extra power, but I'm already used to it and wanting more. Looks like I need headers and high flow cats next.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:08 PM
super g
New User
gas card?

I noticed that you pay .06 a gallon more for premium. Thats great. I pay $1.83 which is about .15 cents more a gallon than regular. What is a gas card ? I have never heard of that. I belong to B.J.'s wholesale club and buy gas there , .05 - .20 cents cheaper a gallon than gas stations.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:56 PM
openclasspro
Senior User
openclasspro is starting off with a positive reputation.
quality gas

Originally Posted by super g
I noticed that you pay .06 a gallon more for premium. Thats great. I pay $1.83 which is about .15 cents more a gallon than regular. What is a gas card ? I have never heard of that. I belong to B.J.'s wholesale club and buy gas there , .05 - .20 cents cheaper a gallon than gas stations.
remember to buy quality gas what you save in those lower price off brand gas stations you lose in btu quality

Old 04-22-2004, 05:22 PM
super g
New User
Thanks for the tip on quality fuel. Diablo recomended mobil or amaco. I have not tried either yet due to the price-$1.99 but i will have tosuck it up and try it to see if it makes a difference.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:13 AM
ChevySniper
Senior User
dang, I would kill for $1.99/gallon....it's no lower than $2.49 for premium here where I live....I went out of town last weekend and got gas a Costco, and paid $2.08 I was jumping for joy..

Old 04-23-2004, 07:48 AM
openclasspro
Senior User
openclasspro is starting off with a positive reputation.
gas

sniper- this will get ya going- i had to pay $1.82 for Sunoco Ultra 94 the other day!

Old 04-23-2004, 09:37 AM
ChevySniper
Senior User
my goodness! I can't get anything higher than 91 octane...unless I go over to the airport here and get some jet fuel...hehehehh

the taxes here in California are just killing people..

Old 04-23-2004, 09:55 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Well, you guys voted them in, now you're reaping!

Old 04-23-2004, 11:47 AM
ssn randy
Senior User
ssn randy is starting off with a positive reputation.
93 octane

93 octane @ $1.79. got off the exxon and on to shell, seems to go further between fill-ups.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Rambo
Senior User
Rambo is starting off with a positive reputation.
They wont sell 93 octane here in Alaska either, the highest they sell here is 90, which is lame because most chips want 91 octane or higher for performance boosts.

However, the tuner from Diablo coming out soon (hopefully) for my truck should be able to use 90 octane if I set it to the 91 setting and then tune the timing down for it. Hopefully I'll notice an increase in power.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:17 PM
hendrix89
Junior User
hendrix89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
just voided your warranty and dramatically shorten the life of the engine......The chips are the worst thing you can to a car... I see them coming all the time with blewn engines......

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.