just installed diablo sport chip - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Computer Chips & Tuners  

just installed diablo sport chip

Old 04-23-2004, 02:30 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Oh, don't give us that. They do not dramatically shorten engine life. They simply advance the timing curve for premium fuel, lean out the fuel mixture for premium octane. Its against the law to void a warranty because a chip is installed.

The worst thing you can do to a car is hand over the keys to a service department that has no qualms about breaking the law and "voiding" your warranty for installing a chip.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:09 PM
ChevySniper
Senior User
ChevySniper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ken you would (well maybe not) be surprised at how many custom shops around here have told me that. Even though they sell the chips, mostly Jet, they say don't get one for a truck with a warranty. I don't see how advancing the timing is going to void the warranty, so I don't pay any attention to them..

Old 04-23-2004, 06:04 PM
super g
New User
super g is starting off with a positive reputation.
remove chip?

I think if I was going to bring truck to dealer I would remove the chip first. I dont know if they could figure out if a chip was installed. You would have to remove the diablo tape sticker and somehow put the aluminum knock out piece back in place.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:08 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Those shops are wrong. Installation of an aftermarket product does not void the warranty. Damage caused by an aftermarket part is a whole 'nuther story....

Old 04-24-2004, 09:52 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
true4.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ken is right. Besides, even if the dealer had a problem with the Diablo's setting, you can always just switch to stock, and it will be like it was never there. That's what I did when I went to the dealer. They paid for everything...which was only a sensor but still.

Old 04-24-2004, 01:50 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
It all boils down to the dealer. Some don't like warranty work because it doesn't pay as well. Others will bend over backwards to help you. If you can't trust your dealer with this issue, take it elsewhere . Around here these is a large Ford dealership that sells Diablo products. Then there's one over by the mall that I wouldn't take my worst enemy's truck to for service.

So, basically, its true that some dealers will tell you it voids the warranty. But its also true that its against the law for them to do it.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:49 PM
super g
New User
super g is starting off with a positive reputation.
That makes sence to me about different dealers. Some dealers treat you like a number. I have used to local dealers ,on warrany work, and found them to be friendly and promt with repairs. Thanks for the tips. I enjoy reading and getting info from fte. thanks all!!!!

Old 04-29-2004, 11:41 PM
okladrop
Freshman User
okladrop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

Super g this is okladrop, how was the install on your chip?

I will be adding the stage 3 chip in a few days to my 97 F-150 4.6

Any issue?

Old 04-30-2004, 09:51 PM
fx4man
New User
fx4man is starting off with a positive reputation.
chip install

I have a 2003 ranger 4.0. I installed single stage sport chip. Installation for me was simple. The computer and harness are under the hood on firewall on passenger side. One screw to remove wiring harness. two nuts to unbolt cover on computer. Computer slides out easily. The aluminun computer box seperates in two halves by spreading tabs on side of the case. The computer board will remain connected to the bottom half of the case. Do not try to remove board. The board is glued to the case. There is no need to remove board anyways as you can clean terminal nconnections. I noticed a sticty substane on the terminals. You may want to clean terminals first with alcohol wipes,then scuff up the terminals with a scotchbrite pad. Finally clean sanding residue with alcohol pad again . Make sure you connect chip square and flush on the board.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:55 PM
okladrop
Freshman User
okladrop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

Can you feel the pwr in your truck?

After you put things back in its place all you had to do was what?

Old 05-05-2004, 09:56 PM
dwtexan
New User
dwtexan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello, I am a new user and noticed your conversation on fuel prices. I did some math, for example if you pay 1.70/gallon and get 20mpg that cost .085 cents per mile. at 1.80/ to get the same cents per mile you would need 21.76mpg and at 1.90 per gallon you would need 22.35mpg. does that make cents. ha ha so if you can get high octane less than 20 cents above 87 then you would only need a little over 2mpg to be the same cost.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:51 AM
blackthorne2
Freshman User
blackthorne2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dealers Are Human Too...and Make Just as Many Mistakes

As far as messing with the timing voiding your warranty...I had a repair done at my dealership, and they sent the truck out of the shop with the base timing 12 degrees off!!!!

I took it back cause the power sucked and they missed it again!

Finally, I picked up a Hayes and a timing light and fixed it myself.

Now do you suppose THAT would void my warranty?

B

Old 05-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Rambo
Senior User
Rambo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think that would void your dealer.

Old 05-09-2004, 10:49 AM
fx4man
New User
fx4man is starting off with a positive reputation.
chip performance

sorry to make you wait so long for the post reply. I just got back from vacataion out of the country. I noticed a nice improvment in power and performance. Not a neck snapping feel, but when you step on the throttle hard the tires spin andyou can feel and haer the engine "come to life" better than without the chip. Ican also go over the 92 mph governor lockout speed. Only did I notice that the incease in fuel --$.20 ,a gallon in one week am I now wondering if it is worth the extra $$$$!!!!!!. I will probably keep the chip in.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:47 AM
wezard
Freshman User
wezard is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Ken,
No Dealer names, but, what Mall is it next too?
Also, I came by your place a couple a weeks ago so you could get a read on my computor and order a 3 stage Diablo. Haven't heard back from you yet, is it ready? I'm the guy in the white van.
Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.