Sponsored by: Moser

Vacuum/Emissions on a '79 Canadian F-250 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Tonyb7
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vacuum/Emissions on a '79 Canadian F-250 4x4

I could sure use some help locating a diagram or guide on the vacuum and emissions equipment of this beast.

I've looked through the Autozone diagrams, and can't find anything that seems to match the equipment that is left in the truck.
And, when the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner, they cleverly painted over the emissions sticker on the valve cover.

There are several hoses plugged up or just left dangling.

Here's what is in the truck that I can identify now:
400, 2150 w/vacuum choke and EGR
PCV, 5-way splitter on the back of the manifold with 2 ports plugged up
A black-painted coffee-can attached near the radiator with a hose hanging from it.
Valve on the air cleaner attached to the manifold (doesn't appear to be working).
No smog pump

EGR valve was plugged along with a port on the carb that I believe is the EGR port. I connected the two without any noticeable change.
The truck originally had cruise control, but all of that equipment seems to be gone.
The only items that were connected when I got the truck were the brakes, air cleaner, and dist.

Can anyone help an overheated Arizonan tame this Canadian truck?

Old 04-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine = 400

I need to know the :
transmission & Rear gear

Old 04-06-2004, 10:44 PM
ashvalentine
Senior User
I could sure use some help locating a diagram or guide on the vacuum and emissions equipment of this beast. I've looked through the Autozone diagrams, and can't find anything that seems to match the equipment that is left in the truck.
That's because the Autozone diagrams are incomplete, even for 1979. (They include the 9-17[something] diagrams which are for cars.) If figure 60 in the autozone list isn't a match then you probably have the HD configuration. I can scan that for you if need be. (Test: Ford OEM EGR for 400 LD automatic: D8ZE-9D448-DA. OEM EGR for HD automatic: DE-9D475-CA.)

And, when the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner, they cleverly painted over the emissions sticker on the valve cover.
Paint will float on top of paper. You can try and scratch off the paint on the right side of the calibration sticker (passenger-side valve cover, front). That will give you the exact calibration, although there are only two basic schematics for the HD: one for A/C, one for non-A/C.

400, 2150 w/vacuum choke and EGR
That's a hot air choke tube. If you still have the carb tag, and I'm right about it being an 49S HD auto, the carb id should be D9TE (9510) - DTA or EHA.

PCV, 5-way splitter on the back of the manifold with 2 ports plugged up. A black-painted coffee-can attached near the radiator with a hose hanging from it.
If it's on the passenger side and it's got two connectors on top that the vacuum reserve can for the Venturi Vacuum Amplifier. The VVA should be on top of the motor, next to the valve cover, passenger side rear. It should have five vacuum connectors. It helps control the EGR.

Valve on the air cleaner attached to the manifold (doesn't appear to be working).
If it's on the side on the air cleaner, that's a TVS switch for the bypass valve. You shouldn't have one for and HD setup. If it's in the lid of the air cleaner, that's the bimetallic switch that switch that controls where the heat stove diverter is working on not. I

No smog pump EGR valve was plugged along with a port on the carb that I believe is the EGR port. I connected the two without any noticeable change.
One or the other may not be functioning. Without the VVA it isn't going to work as intended anyways. Plug it back up.

The only items that were connected when I got the truck
were the brakes, air cleaner, and dist.
It sounds like you're missing lots of stuff. Do you have two PVS switches (one three port, one two port) in the upper radiator hose intake? You should have a throttle kicker too.

...how much of it do you need to get working?

ash
['Woo.']

Old 04-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Tonyb7
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Engine = 400

I need to know the :
transmission & Rear gear
Automatic (not really sure which, the transfer case is a 205 if that helps)
Rear 4.10

Vin in case it helps: X26SKDE6236

Old 04-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Tonyb7
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ashvalentine
Paint will float on top of paper. You can try and scratch off the paint on the right side of the calibration sticker (passenger-side valve cover, front). That will give you the exact calibration, although there are only two basic schematics for the HD: one for A/C, one for non-A/C.
This paint has bonded pretty well with the sticker. I've tried scratching as well as a couple different chemicals. Some of the paint comes off, but all you end up with is clean white empty boxes where the printing should be.
Also, the sticker is on the driver's side valve cover. The way the truck is set up, and it being a Camper Special, I am assuming it would have the HD config (sans A/C).

That's a hot air choke tube. If you still have the carb tag, and I'm right about it being an 49S HD auto, the carb id should be D9TE (9510) - DTA or EHA.
The tag is missing. Wasn't there before I rebuilt the card.

If it's on the passenger side and it's got two connectors on top that the vacuum reserve can for the Venturi Vacuum Amplifier. The VVA should be on top of the motor, next to the valve cover, passenger side rear. It should have five vacuum connectors. It helps control the EGR.
Yes, the can is on the passenger side with two connectors. Mounted right next to the battery. That valve is there as well (its what I thought of as a 5-way splitter).

If it's on the side on the air cleaner, that's a TVS switch for the bypass valve. You shouldn't have one for and HD setup. If it's in the lid of the air cleaner, that's the bimetallic switch that switch that controls where the heat stove diverter is working on not. I
Bimetallic. I couldn't think of the name of it when I posted above.

It sounds like you're missing lots of stuff. Do you have two PVS switches (one three port, one two port) in the upper radiator hose intake? You should have a throttle kicker too.
I do not seem to have those switches. As for a throttle kicker, there is a solenoid (no dashpot), that seems to work ok.

...how much of it do you need to get working?

ash
['Woo.']
Well, the truck runs, but very inconsistantly. I am constantly re-adjusting the carb whenever the temperature changes here. I can hear hissing noises when the engine is running.
It passed emissions here in the state I described above, so that isn't a problem. I'd just like to get it running as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Your calibration code is 7-73-R10.

Here is your tune-up & settings info.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion...tionSpecs2.JPG

Old 04-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Tonyb7
Freshman User
Thanks Mil1ion. Now I don't suppose that either you or ashvalentine have a diagram for that one do you?
I already see that I have the choke setting wrong according to that chart. No idea on the timing yet.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:59 AM
ashvalentine
Senior User
Some of the paint comes off, but all you end up with is clean white empty boxes where the printing should be. Also, the sticker is on the driver's side valve cover. The way the truck is set up, and it being a Camper Special, I am assuming it would have the HD config (sans A/C).
You'd be right. Weird sticker juju there.

I do not seem to have those switches. As for a throttle kicker, there is a solenoid (no dashpot), that seems to work ok.
Well, the truck runs, but very inconsistantly. I am constantly re-adjusting the carb whenever the temperature changes here.
You got a vac leak. Your EGR is probably bad, and you need the PVSs and the heat stove to adjust to the temperature changes. Bet it pings too.

Ok, today's blue plate special is a 3-for-1 (pardon slow loading):

1977, no PVS:
http://home.earthlink.net/~sigyn/7-7X-R0.JPG

1978, one or two PVS:
http://home.earthlink.net/~sigyn/7-7X-R10.JPG

1979, two PVS. Part numbers!:
http://home.earthlink.net/~sigyn/9-74J-R0.JPG
Oops. Choke pulldown should be .175 there. You'd probably be able to get away with .140

Your distributor will probably need adjusting whatever you do.

ash
['Good luck.']

Old 04-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Tonyb7
Freshman User
Thanks for the diagrams ashvalentine.

Ok, a follow-up.
I was able to get the paint off the emissions sticker. The places where I had removed it and was left with empty boxes... were supposed to be empty (silly me). I was scrubbing the valve-covers while replacing the gaskets, when I hit it with a scouring pad. Worked wonders.

Anyway, I've put up a picture of the emissions tag in my gallery. The code at the bottom of it reads: D6AE-9C485-AAC with a 6-219 over to the right of that.

Are the diagrams and charts that have been indicated in this thread, apply to this spec?

Thanks again guys.

Old 04-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Does the right side valve cover have a white sticker on it like this?

Old 04-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Tonyb7
Freshman User
No, there isn't any sticker at all on that valve cover.