6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

OK, I picked up my new 6.0 today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 12:00 AM
1943GPW
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I do not have pictures yet, but will post them soon. It is a Crew Cab, Lariat short box SRW, 6.0 Diesel, Automatic, 3.73 posi, gray over black. Motor is out of this world. It is so quite on the road, the wind on the body is the loudest noise at 80mph. Not that I drive that fast, just was looking at the CD player and it got away from me. The classic diesel noise is there, but very subdued at highway speeds. Acceleration is sports car like. Will actually pin you to the seats. When I picked it up the gas mileage on the trucks computer indicated 6 mpg average and it had 14 miles on it. By the time I got 50 miles on it the average was over 18 and running steady at 65 mph. Not sure how accurate these computers are, but that is some really good news for me if the computer is even close. It should go up from here. I live in the great north and fuel is blended heavily up here now and that reduces mileage in the winter. I could not believe how it climbed hills (some big ones) without shifting down. Not only did it not shift down, but it does not even change engine noise. One thing is interesting; the automatic transmission shifts so smoothly that about the only way I could see if it was shifting was to watch the tachometer. It climbs steep hills like the road is as flat as a pancake. This is a great truck. It came with Pirelli Tires on it and I do not have any experience with them, but the look neat with the little white scorpion on the sides. The accelerator takes a little getting used to. It feels like I have to reach deep sometimes to catch up with the engine. But it is only getting familiar with, not anything I don't like. No rebate, but I can live with that. I will update everyone on the mileage as time goes on. I hope this helps anyone interested in the new 6.0 L motor.

Old 01-03-2003, 06:29 AM
arksteel02
New User

Congrats on your new ride! I was really on the fence about the new 6 litre, but the the combination of rebates, and dealer motovation (this is an '02) pushed me over the edge. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. Even my wife (diesels smell) is loving it. This is my first diesel, so I'll be watching for tips and advise.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Ghostrider304
Senior User

Congrats on the new ride! Hope it give you years of pride.

Now, when do I get to drive it since I can't find a dealer in the St. Loius area that has one to test drive yet! J/K

Good Luck,
Will-

Old 01-03-2003, 03:45 PM
z1express
Senior User

Thanks for keeping the economy going. If every one bought a new Powerstroke the economy would rock!!!!! Well I have a 00,maybee next year.

Old 01-03-2003, 06:48 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! I kept telling you guys this is one hell of an engine, rebate or no. Can you do us a favor? Everyone wants to know what the mileage is on this motor. If you could keep us posted on that, especially once you get a few thousand miles on it, it would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, enjoy!!

Old 01-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Jimjdb1
Elder User

Congrats on the new truck. Keep us informed as to how it does. I'd like to hear about it. BTW Good luck, and I hope it does you proud.

Jim

Old 01-04-2003, 02:38 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts

About your Pirelli tires, my truck had those on it when I bought it from the Ford dealer. I HATE them...they are the worst tires I've ever seen as far as road noise and vibration. They have been balanced at least twice at two different shops, and still they are awful. I was wondering if yours are this way, or if I just have a bad set.

Also, the dealer told me they are seeing 19 miles per gallon out of the new PSD. Please keep us updated on that...I'd love to hear what kind of mileage you are seeing too.

Old 01-04-2003, 07:58 PM
FYRDOC
Freshman User

Ghostrider 304....I just bought a '03 F250 XLT CC PSD from Pundmann in St.Charles, got the 7.3 because I could get it for about 8 grand cheaper with that one instead of the 6.0 but they do have 2 6.0's there.One of which is a very nice black CC with black leather.

Old 01-05-2003, 03:02 AM
FORD DIESEL
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Jan-03 AT 04:05 AM (EST)] congrestion on your new truck, please keep up ,updates
as time goes by, just want know goods and bad about its
so i could pass it along to other ford truck lover.

Old 01-05-2003, 04:28 AM
1943GPW
Freshman User

>About your Pirelli tires, my truck had those on it when I
>bought it from the Ford dealer. I HATE them...they are the
>worst tires I've ever seen as far as road noise and
>vibration. They have been balanced at least twice at two
>different shops, and still they are awful. I was wondering
>if yours are this way, or if I just have a bad set.
>
>
>Also, the dealer told me they are seeing 19 miles per
>gallon out of the new PSD. Please keep us updated on
>that...I'd love to hear what kind of mileage you are seeing
>too.

Pirelli's seem ok with less than 1000 miles on the truck. I have All Seasons. No unusual vibrations and almost no tire/road noise. Also very little traction, but I knew i was giving up traction for a little less road nosie with the AS tires. My first tank was about 17, and consisted of considerable ideling and playing around time on it. Computer was showing over 18 in the end on the highway and several times hit 19 and stayed at 18.6 for an extended period of time. I believe it. Second tank is not fairing so well on the computer but hanging in there at 17.5 Maybe a different blend of fuel, dropped a few mintues after I filled it up. But speed does not seem to have much effect? Motor is new yet and needs many more miles to be broken in.

Mark

Old 01-05-2003, 09:26 AM
nels
New User

Quick questions for you.

What did you own before this one?

I am considering a SD, thought about the 5.4 small V8, but now wonder how this 6.0 diesel is. Is the 5.4 too small for the SD's?

I'm from MN (Great North) too.

Definitely keep us/me posted on mileage info.

I currently have '99 F150

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2003, 03:30 PM
1943GPW
Freshman User

I had a 97 Expadition. Loved it and it pulled my 6K+ trailer well, but it had a 5.4 and did not get the best mileage. 10 around town and 15 on the road if I took it easy and 9.5 pulling my trailer. I can't seem to get the 6.0L below 16.7 no matter what I do on the road (not towing) Actually it's a little scary, the faster I go the better mileage is shows on the computer and the fill up confirmed the computer to be close. Second tank was not as good as the first and the computer showed an imediate drop in mileage, I am hoping to atribute it to different blend of desiel (bought at a gas station not at a truck stop). I don't know much about where is the best place to get fuel yet. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I tow this spring. Right now it is really shining in stop and go driving, easily getting more than 6 mpg more than the 5.4. This is brand new though, with only 2 tanks through it. I love driving it.

Mark

Old 01-06-2003, 10:26 AM
bricot
Elder User

Ok, I missed it... which truck did you get? F...??

Keep us posted, it'll be a few years before I consider getting one of those ...

Old 01-06-2003, 08:58 PM
1943GPW
Freshman User

F250

Mark

Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 PM
boblamp
Freshman User

>I had a 97 Expadition. Loved it and it pulled my 6K+
>trailer well, but it had a 5.4 and did not get the best
>mileage. 10 around town and 15 on the road if I took it
>easy and 9.5 pulling my trailer. I can't seem to get the
>6.0L below 16.7 no matter what I do on the road (not towing)
> Actually it's a little scary, the faster I go the better
>mileage is shows on the computer and the fill up confirmed
>the computer to be close. Second tank was not as good as
>the first and the computer showed an imediate drop in
>mileage, I am hoping to atribute it to different blend of
>desiel (bought at a gas station not at a truck stop). I
>don't know much about where is the best place to get fuel
>yet. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I tow this
>spring. Right now it is really shining in stop and go
>driving, easily getting more than 6 mpg more than the 5.4.
>This is brand new though, with only 2 tanks through it. I
>love driving it.
>
>Mark

I have a 2000 F150 with the 5.4 and my milage is similar to what you got with the Expedition. My milage is usually running at between 13 and 14mpg. If I'm hauling or if I'm running aroung the farm in 4low, milage drops to about 7-8mpg. The lease is up in May and I'm looking to step up to SD with the PSD (leaning toward the 6.0) I'm still debating wether to go with the F250 or F350.

Bob

2000 F150 work series 7700 package. 4x4, 5.4l 3.73gears

Quick Reply: OK, I picked up my new 6.0 today!