Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TYMAR Vs. AFE Air Intakes for PSD ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 12:06 PM
JoeBoost
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently am running a AFE Air Intake kit on my 2002 Excursion PSD, but have been hearing allot of rave reviews on the TYMAR setup. Between the two , which one gives more power , flows more air , helps out in the MPG range , etc ?? Also , i am looking for the "loudest" air intake i can get for my truck. And when i say loud , i mean turbo whine, basically trying to make my truck sound as close to a 18wheeler as possibile

Any help/guidence is appreaciated

Old 01-07-2003, 01:29 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want turbo whine, you want TYMAR. Like I've said before, with my TYMAR on the turbo whines like a wife at a gun show.

I cant say from personal experiance, but I've heard from folks who have tried several filters that the TYMAR gave them better results than either a K&N or the AFE.

If I was in your boots I'd be swaping out the filter setup at the next change.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:44 PM
JoeBoost
Elder User

So what actually makes the TYMAR intake so loud compared to the others ?? Is it the metal pipe between the filter and the turbo ? , compared to the stock rubber elbow ?? Is the tube from the filter to the turbo on the TYMAR setup plastic or metal ???

Old 01-07-2003, 02:47 PM
bricot
Elder User

The tube from the filter to the turbo is metal on the Tymar, it is also mandrel bent (same inner diameter even through the bend). It changed the tune of the turbo and I can even tell a slight diffrence in sound even at idle.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster

What increases the sound of the turbo as much as anything is the filter that is used. It has the lowest restriction of any intake system, which does two things: it allows air in to the turbo easier, and it lets sound out of the turbo easier. When "Mrs. Quadzilla" and I are getting on the freeway, she says: "I'll quit talking now, so you can hear that sound you like so much."

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags on all four corners, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter,
4R100 pan, Red Line synthetic in transfer case and both diffs, reverse shackle kit, big 'ol grin on driver's face.
And a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)
[link:www.community.webshots.com/user/quadzilla100|Pictures]

Old 01-07-2003, 06:00 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

In my opinion the Tymar is the best setup for the power stroke. I remember a comparison between Tymar and K&N that showed that the Tymar setup filtered at 99.9% efficiency as opposed to 97% of K&N and flowed 1/3 more air than the K&N.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Ghostrider304
Senior User

Whats the price on the Tymar system? I'd like to get my hands on one.

Thanks,
Will-

Old 01-08-2003, 02:39 AM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Jan-03 AT 03:40 AM (EST)]Hey Quadzilla, your pictures link doesnt work.

Ghost rider (awesome picture!) , get in touch with Dale Isley at TYMAR Performance, he's the man to talk with. www.tymarperformance.com

Old 01-08-2003, 04:08 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster

Thanks, Bryan!

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags on all four corners, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter,
4R100 pan, Red Line synthetic in transfer case and both diffs, reverse shackle kit, big 'ol grin on driver's face.
And a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)
Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/quadzilla100

Old 01-08-2003, 07:11 AM
79CEEJAY
Elder User

>Whats the price on the Tymar system? I'd like to get my
>hands on one.
>
>Thanks,
>Will-
Will, I believe you can get the whole set up for les than $200. You have to either modify your existing battery/intake box, or swap it to a new battery tray. Either way, Dale can set you up with whatever you need. He can even powder coat your plumbing if you want, or you can just polish the aluminum.

Old 01-08-2003, 08:11 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

>>Whats the price on the Tymar system? I'd like to get my
>>hands on one.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Will-
>Will, I believe you can get the whole set up for les than
>$200. You have to either modify your existing battery/intake
>box, or swap it to a new battery tray. Either way, Dale can
>set you up with whatever you need. He can even powder coat
>your plumbing if you want, or you can just polish the
>aluminum.
>

Parts for the Tymar total $109.09 with one filter. Additional filters are $22.93. Black powder coating is $8.

Old 01-08-2003, 08:26 AM
JoeBoost
Elder User

Thanks for all the input.

I sent Dale an email yesterday asking some questions and still have yet to hear back from him. From what i can read , the filters are NOT re-useable such as a K&N ? From the few pictures I have seen of this setup , it looks as if the filter is a huge paper one...

3 more questions for you TYMAR owners....

1. How often do you replace your filter ?
2. Does the metal pipe attach from the filter all the way to the turbo ? Or does it go to the factory breather adapter ?
3. I have a 2002 PSD Excursion , So would i have to modify anything in my truck to make this system work ?

Thanks for all of your help

Old 01-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Paarrothead
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Jan-03 AT 09:53 AM (EST)]The Tymar intake setup uses a standard disposable Donaldson air filter that costs about $40, IIRC.

I have yet to see a dyno shootout between the AFE and the Donaldson.

AFE: Easy to install, no need to relocate battery. Well made, uses cooler outside air as Gale Banks recommends and as the Banks intakes do. Washable media filter. Independent test(s) show oiled cotton media (AFE, K&N) as effective as paper filters in dirt removal.

Tymar- Donaldson: Looks "cool". More intake and turbo noise for driver's entertainment. May or may not be less restrictive than oiled media. Reportedly excellent filtration properties. Engine inhales less dense, hot underhood air. In summer, you get hot air, *maybe* less restriction than AFE, the AFE *might* have slightly more WOT restriction, but your engine gets a cooler, more dense charge of air than with the Donaldson-Tymar.

I have never seen a dyno comparison of the two designs summer and winter, or an independent restriction test, or an EGT test comparison under load. All we have to go by is a lot of theory and personal preference between the two designs.

Where's the dyno, filtration effectiveness and EGT comparisons???
There aren't any.

Next week, we'll discuss the "best" religion...

Old 01-08-2003, 09:31 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

You can get the replacement filters for $22.93 from Dale. The debate over the under the hood hot engine air has been discussed thouroughly and I suggest that if you have any concerns you do a search. It will lay to rest any doubts about an open element system. Plenty of Tymar testimonials, you can't even mention the words air filter without 20 people bringing up the Tymar.

There is also no need to move the battery with the Tymar setup, and it uses a huge disposable filter. I personally like the throw away filters rather than reusable.

Old 01-08-2003, 09:34 AM
bricot
Elder User

I have a '97 and didn't have to modify anything to install the Tymar.

The replacement filters are just under $20 from Dale.

I agree with the above, the Tymar will be sucking in air from the engine compartment which in hot weather will be hotter than the outside air. Now ya got me thinking wonder if I could build something utilizing part of the original snorkel ....

The significant factor for me was my lazy azz doesn't want to take the time to clean, escpecially between the pleats if you don't have a pre-filter, re-oil, make sure you get enough but not too much oil.

I know, I have two K&N's for these pups sitting in my garage, one with a custom pre-filter which helps.

I like loosen clamp, pull off, garbage, new one, tighten clamp...

Quick Reply: TYMAR Vs. AFE Air Intakes for PSD ?????