Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck security questions and ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 11:17 AM
youngster
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't post much on this board but the topic of how to easily get into the SD trucks has come up and I am wondering if this also applies to the SD Vans as well. My second question is does the diesel utilize an inertia based fuel pump cutoff switch?(I haven't had time to look at my '01 SDVan yet) If so, cut into one wire and install a switch.

I suggest this because I used to repo anything with wheels. The only thing I ever had difficulty getting by was a well placed, time consuming kill switch -- if I could find it. Alarms, ignition kills and anything purchased like an alarm was easily defeated. The vehicles I had to use a flat bed tow truck for I would go over and find out what made it so difficult for me.
The two most difficult switches were #1 Key switch installed in the door jamb tapped into the fuel pump inertia switch using factory colored wiring, soldered and heat shinked to look like it came from the factory. Think about it, when a theif finally gets into your car, what are they going to do? They close the door so people don't look at them.
#2 using the cigarette lighter (if you don't smoke) and a relay tied to the fuel pump or inertia switch. I love this one. Use the relay to cut the power to the fuel pump. When you want the truck to run, push in the cigarette lighter (no it won't pop out--electricity looks for the path of least resistance - the relay coil in this instance, not the heater element in the lighter). When you don't want your truck to move, take the lighter with you--no switch, no go! Lose the switch? Go to the local AutoZone, 7-11, or circle K, they normally have replacements you can buy.
Just some thoughts
Colin

Old 12-08-2002, 01:59 PM
7UP
New User

I like that idea alot,thanks for the tip!

Old 01-09-2003, 02:33 PM
BuddyB
Mountain Pass

I'm new to the board and just checking out all the great ideas. Saw yours about the cig lighter fuel interrupt.

I've search the tech section, etc with no luck. Do you have the specifics about wiring this trick up (things like wire size, relay etc)Tricks you've learned to make our job easier?

Many Thanks

Buddy

Old 01-09-2003, 09:36 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking to get one of those "auto starters" and I'm really inching away from the idea, espically when security is involved
Don't want any unwanted people wandering around taking things in my truck

Old 01-10-2003, 09:14 AM
bricot
Elder User

Are you talking about remote start? You can leave the doors locked and start the vehicle and let it run, if the brakes are touched, put in gear, hood lifted, etc. without the key in it, it shuts the vehicle down.

Old 01-10-2003, 12:39 PM
JoeBoost
Elder User

I have an autostart on my truck , and havent had a issue with it yet.
I use to install alarms and other electronics , so i did a few extras to keep people from taking my truck. The cig lighter kill switch is a good one , but i am sure most car theives know about that one allready.

Old 01-11-2003, 01:17 PM
youngster
Junior User

The cig lighter interrupt is easy to wire. Get a standard Bosch 30a relay (and pigtail harness if you can--should be able to find these easily at any electronics store), some heat shrink tubing and the same wire size/ color as comes off the inertia switch. To install, cut one wire off the inertia switch and wire the normally open side of the relay contacts to those wires(using the heat shrink tubing and solder). Then take the relay coil wires and ground one of them to an existing factory ground and take the other wire and run it up to the back of the cig lighter socket. Remove the factory ground wire and put it to the side. Attach the wire from the relay coil to the ground side of the lighter socket. Now, this is how I have mine wired. Check your lighter first to see if you have power to it at all times -- INCLUDING when the engine is cranking! If not, you will have to provide a constant power source. This can be provided to the relay coil or to the lighter socket. As electricity follows the path of least resistance, the lighter will not heat up because the relay coil provides an easier path for the electricity.
To start and drive your truck after this mod is installed, simply push the lighter in and start the truck. When you don't want someone to drive your baby away, either take the lighter with you or return the lighter to its normal popped out position.
Remember to solder and heat shrink all connections to insure reliability!
Colin:-)

Old 01-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Ford 2002
Junior User