1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Overhead Console and Gauges - which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:24 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead Console and Gauges - which ones?

i'll post more on this tomorrow, but in short, i'll have spots for 4 total gauges in the overhead console i'm building. one spot will get my aeroforce interceptor, and 2 others will be pyro and turbo. i'm going with the autometer "Ford Match" ones that Clay carries: Ford - 99-03 Super Duty 7.3L - Gauges, Electrical & Lighting - Gauges - Autometer - Ford Factory Match - Riffraff Diesel Performance

i'm thinking HPOP for the last one. i'll have the optional fuel pressure sender for my AF wired into it, so no need for a standalone fuel pressure guage.

any votes for anything other than HPOP?

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2014, 04:48 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am very interested in this. Are you making the console or is it manufactured?
Are you getting the sd match or the obs match. I went with sd because I like how the pointers stand out

Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No need for a stand-alone injection pressure gauge either; you can (or should be able to) read it with the Interceptor. Same with boost. I would skip the fuel pressure option for the AF and put that money into a stand-alone fuel pressure gauge. Hmm, surprised he doesn't have a Ford match coolant temp gauge. That would be my choice for #4.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:15 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
I'll be making it myself out of sheet metal. If I can work it out right, I may try to sell them in the future :-). A pipe dream I'm sure, but you gotta dream right?

And I assume OBS, but not sure. It was in clays OBS section, but I should check the SD section as well.

And yeah, I'm wishing I hadnt bought the AF fuel pressure sender, but when I was troubleshooting my power loss problem that was my next thing to check... So now that I have it, I may as well use it.

As for my thinking on the HPOP guage, yes, the AF does monitor it, but I thought it would have good 'entertainment value' as a needle gauge - I.e. It moves a lot. A dumb reason I know, but that's how I think! And same goes for turbo. I'd rather watch a needle than numbers. I figure if run the AF on fuel pressure and engine oil temp, then watch the other ones (mostly egt) on the dial gauges.

As for coolant temp, I find that despite the lack of labels the stock one works fine for me. Engine oil temp is useful in winter around here though. Pretty much the same thing as coolant temp anyway, though faster reacting.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
The difference is the pointers. White vs. red.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JP, will you be towing a lot? Maybe a diff temp gauge?

Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
i do tow a decent bit, but not too terribly heavy. and i have never even thought of a diff temp gauge before - maybe i should look into it.

i do plan on a center console someday, so i'm thinking if i need/want more gauges i could stuff a few more down there :-)

Old 10-28-2014, 02:35 PM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good lord those are expensive gauges! I bought Autometer GS (black face green backlight red pointers much like the factory gauges) gauges through amazon for 250 for all three! I love buying from riffraff as much as the next guy but damn!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:58 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
So, I still haven't decided on that third guage, but I've started shopping around other places to maybe save a few bucks. Anyone used/know about Isspro EV gauges (not ev2).

I guess theyre an old version on the ev2 series, but thorobred diesel has them for like half the price of most other guages.

I believe Ive heard that glowsshift guages are junk. Is that right? Or am I misremembering? Any other brands to stay away from?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Ev gauges work more on the mechanical side. Ev2 are all electric. The boost and egt are mechanical. I'm not to sure about the rest though. There is mixed talk about glowshift. Some love them. Some hate them. I put in ev2's. It was a nice instal IMO.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:09 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm interested in the overhead console too, have you made any progress with that?

Old 11-22-2014, 06:14 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I'm wondering as well.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:02 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
no progress on the console - i've been putting off the $400-500 purchase of gauges as i continue to spend money on the rest of the truck rebuild.

the plan now is to get the truck running and on the road, but with only a dash on the interior. from that point, i'll start messing with all the "extra" electrical stuff. i guess i'll hook up the pyro and scanguage for safety/troubleshooting sake, but the console, air system, radio, amp, etc. will all come secondary to a running and driving truck. :-)

Old 11-25-2014, 09:23 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I've had two autometer EGT gauges and two Isspro. Both autometer gauges quit working and the Esspro's are still working fine.

On and off I read about the temp gauge for the diff rear end. Is this really necessary?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I've had two autometer EGT gauges and two Isspro. Both autometer gauges quit working and the Esspro's are still working fine. On and off I read about the temp gauge for the diff rear end. Is this really necessary?
maybe at 18k it is. For the average joe I'd say no.

Quick Reply: Overhead Console and Gauges - which ones?