Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 f250 glow plug relay clicking

Old 01-16-2003, 03:22 PM
my1993f250
New User
my1993f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.

someone please help.my 1993 f250 diesel was not starting right but i just replaced the glow plugs 10,000 miles ago then i noticed a clicking from under the hood when i turned the switch on. here to find out it was the glow plug relay.so i but a new relay on but this didnt solve my problem.please help thanks

Old 01-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Gr8ride
Senior User
Gr8ride is starting off with a positive reputation.

I thought it was supposed to click.
I have a 93 F250 and it clicked from
day one.

Gr8ride

Old 01-16-2003, 09:26 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru
wolfmanagh is starting off with a positive reputation.

My 93 will heat up propperly and then it will click after that for a bit. I figure it must be normal. If I didn't like that I'd wire the push button plug set up.

Old 01-17-2003, 01:34 PM
argve
Senior User
argve is starting off with a positive reputation.

>someone please help.my 1993 f250 diesel was not starting
>right but i just replaced the glow plugs 10,000 miles ago
>then i noticed a clicking from under the hood when i turned
>the switch on. here to find out it was the glow plug
>relay.so i but a new relay on but this didnt solve my
>problem.please help thanks

First thing I would do is grab up you meter and check the resistance of the glow plugs. They should be less than 1 ohm each (COLD). To check the plugs, pull the electrical connector off the plug, then measure the resistance from the glow plug to a good ground.

The glow plug system on your truck will consist of a WTS lamp, (on dash), Solid State Glow Plug controller (located on the intake manifold dead center rear, (you will have to remove the air cleaner housing to see it), mounted right on top of it is the glow plug relay, then finally 8 glow plugs. The system will apply power to glow plugs for a time dependent upon the air temp around controller. It senses this air temp by the measuring the voltage drop across the large open resistor (mounted on the relay). My measuring the voltage drop across the resistor it can determine how long the glow plugs have been on and that they are approaching their limits on heat. Normally the system will turn on the glow plugs for about 10 seconds or so, during this time frame the WTS lamp is lit, then it will sense that the plugs are at the proper heat level, so the controller just keeps them at this level by cycling power to them. This can be determined by the clicking on and off under the hood. When the clicking starts the WTS lamp will go out. It is ready to be started. If one or more of the glow plugs is burned out, it will fool the controller into thinking that the plugs are aready up to proper starting temp, so it will short cycle as it is sometimes called. This is apparent by the WTS lamp only stays lite for a very short time period, adn the plugs don't get heated enough. So the side effect is hard starting. Another thing that will cause this same conditon is a bad ground on the controller. So check that as well.

Now as the glow plugs heat up their resistance changes, (increases). I would only recommend using Beru brand glow plugs. These can be obtained from either Autozone, Ford, or some International dealers. The others seem to have a nasty habit of swelling the tips, which tend to break off and fall into the cylinder. This is a bad thing, it can in extreme cases damage the engine severly.

I would bet that you will find at least one bad glow plug or a bad ground that is causing your trouble.

Old 01-17-2003, 02:21 PM
my1993f250
New User
my1993f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.

yes the relay should click,but mine is clicking very fast not like it should.now ive had three people tell me that my glow plugs were bad and i didnt listen but your righti checked them and i have some bad glow plugs and yes they are champion brand.i should have known better than to use champion plugs thanks for the imfo.keith

Old 01-17-2003, 02:22 PM
fatbob
Junior User
fatbob is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:13 PM
casualdiesel
New User
casualdiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.

I've had glow plug problems several times with my '90 7.3 E-350. This last time I found that two of the connectors (to the glow plug) were bad. You can check this by checking for continuity between the connector and the output post on the glow plug relay. I replaced my broken connectors using a typical female bullet connector. All the bullet connectors I found were for 14-16 gauge wire but one brand seemed to be slightly larger. I think the glow plug wires are 12 gauge and the wire barely fit. I hate doing things like this but have not found anyone who can supply parts such as these.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
tcm368
Junior User
tcm368 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ok well i went out to the truck right now and tested the voltage to the relay. i got 12 volts to the hot side (the one that has the rubber cover over it i assume) and then i turned the key and let the WTS light go and and tested for voltage on the other side of the relay and got nothing so i assume that the relay is bad. im guessing i should get 12 volts on the other sides since the relay should then be open correct?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
empiretc
Post Fiend
empiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to beholdempiretc is a splendid one to behold
The gp system in the older style trucks is something else. I fought it in my dad's 1990. It sounds like your GP controller is bad, but if anything in the system is bad, even one gp, it wont function properly and the relay will click constantly.

I studied it for a while, and just disconnected the gp controller and put in a push button for my dad along with an LED indicator. ~$10 for everything I used.

Side note- someone tried to steal his truck the other night. They knew where the key was, but they couldn't get it started. The evenings have been getting into the upper 40s, but no gps, no go.