Unknow truck - please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:37 PM
richardmiddel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unknow truck - please help

HI, I have a 42 truck? Can I send anyone some photo's to help me ID the truck. I think you will find it most interesting. Please herlp from South Africa. Thanks

Richard

Old 03-30-2004, 08:30 AM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Richard, first off, welcome to FTE. Check out the Pictoral page on the right hand side of this page to find pictures of Fords of most any year, might find some helpful pictures there. Easiest way to tell a '42-'47 pickup from earlier years is 15 vertical grille bars, on 1/2 tons, parallel leaf springs in the front, and an open drive shaft, and a metal frame around the door window glass. Check out http://groups.msn.com/1942-1947Fordtrucks for some factory pictures of the frame and suspension.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:34 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Hi Richard,
Welcome to FTE! If you go to the galleries on the top right of this page you can access the search feature by year. Any truck '42-47 will give you an idea of the year you have. In '42 the new model debuted, including own frame, open drive, etc as well as body design. America's introduction into the war in Dec '41 cut civilian production to almost 0 overnight.
The vin you gave sounds like it was produced in Canada, but I don't have the info you need. Most if not all RHD trucks for all markets came from Canada.

Yahoo groups has a flathead V8 group that is headed by Bill Boogaart who is from Canada, Alberta I believe, and several members are from AU or NZ who are better on the export/military trucks. If you need a link, let me know.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:10 AM
richardmiddel
New User
Hi Guys, thanks for the info. Please send me the link to the guy in Canada - hopefully he will be able to decode the VIN for me. I will count the grill bars etc. The door definately has a metal frame around it. This is definately a war time truck though. I reckon it's aruond a 3 tonner. Can a post a pic anywhere or send one or two to you guys ?

Thanks again for the info. Will get back to you tommorrow morning. It will be getting dark here soon. - In South Africa

Old 03-30-2004, 09:41 AM
46fordtruck
Richard, create a gallery on here so that we can all be able to see pix of the truck. You can access this feature through the User CP up top. I would like to see some pix of the truck, especially since the 42-47 Ford trucks are my personal favorites.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:20 AM
richardmiddel
New User
OK - I have uploaded some images to a new gallery in the '42 section. If you give me a model number then I will change it - at present it says Ford Aerostar. I counted the grill bars - 15 of them. I will take some engine shots tommorrow morning and upload them to the gallery as well. Hope you enjoy them.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Hi Richard - Welcome to FTE.

Looks like a nice project you have there.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:33 AM
richardmiddel
New User
That's the one project - the other is a 46 Diamond T model 404HHS right hand drive truck which I believe is on a Ford chassis - double back axle with splitter box. It's approx 27ft long.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:44 AM
richardmiddel
New User
Do you guys know this site - http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm

There are lots of interesting things to look at !!!!

Old 03-30-2004, 11:11 AM
46fordtruck
Richard, great looking truck there. Glad you could get some pix of it up in the galleries. Keep us informed on how your project goes.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:56 AM
richardmiddel
New User
Will keep the forum up to date but I think it will be quite slow - am busier on the Diamond T at the moment - you got a link or a mail address for the Canadian guy that can help me with the VIN number?

Old 03-30-2004, 12:09 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Bill Boogaart's yahoo groups site - you need to register with yahoo then join the flatheadv8 list. I can't figure how to link directly to the site without giving you access to my account. Here's the sign in page

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?...dfordv8%2Fjoin

These are also great sites - check out their links for even more info

http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/flathead.htm

http://communities.msn.com/FordFlath...sageboard.msnw

http://www.fordbarn.com/

Old 03-30-2004, 12:34 PM
richardmiddel
New User
Thanks very much, I'll join up and take a look at the other sites as well.

Old 03-31-2004, 05:15 PM
41Clay
Elder User
Hey Richard! I'd also like to welcome you to FTE! Hope we can help you out as best as we can.

Truck looks pretty good. So how rare are those trucks in south africa? Seems like it would be real tough getting parts there. Good luck and keep us posted!

Clayton

Old 04-02-2004, 02:08 PM
richardmiddel
New User
There are not too many in SA. In fact this is the only one I know about - but you never know what comes outta the woodwork. In SA many - the majority of old trucks have been converted into farm trailers - framers love doing that here - suck a shame - I know of 2 x tralers which are Ford chassises - do you think the farmers wanna let go of them. They always say "gimme another trailer and you can have this one" but they will never fix them - it's a shame - the trailers have complete diff's etc !!! Problem with our stuff is that it mostly came from Canada for Right Hand Drive so I find it very difficult to trace the VIN/Serial numbers etc.