Computer Chips & Tuners  

A custom question (not answerable by the FAQ's)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 07:55 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A custom question (not answerable by the FAQ's)

Hello Ken. This is definately a custom question. I have a 96 Bronco (351). The previous owner swapped out the MAF harness and sensor. I know this because I had to buy a new MAF sensor, and the one for a 96 didnt fit. I THINK the guy at the Ford counter told me this sensor was for a crown vic with a 351 (although I dont know of a vic with one, unless it was a cruiser or something). I guess the real question is...do you have access to fuel charts or anything, that would enable you to properly burn a chip for this app? It doesnt run poorly or anything, and I havent gotten any codes (had this truck for about a year and a half now). I could call the parts dept. and find out exactly what vehicle it was on stock. These gas prices are getting stupidly high, and my 13mpg rig makes my wallet cry. I know, I know....chips arent burnt for mileage. I have found myself feathering the throttle lately, trying to stretch what meager mileage I already get. I would hope that I might pick up the 1-2mpg. Hope to hear from you.

Rich

Old 03-31-2004, 10:36 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There's no way I can program for the MAF unless I know what the MAF is. Even then, there are some MAF swaps that are just a PIA to get right. For example, trying to get a 90mm Lightning MAF to work on a 96, the tables are just so different. If you can supply the type of MAF, and a calibration sheet (if its an aftermarket MAF) then it can be done by us. If not, then it will need to be put on a dyno that includes wide-band O2 so I can see how the MAF is impacting the A/F ratio. Chips can help mileage if the MAF change is screwing up the stock readings and causing a rich condition.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:58 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Ok, I will contact Ford then. It was a stock MAF from the local dealership parts department. The only reason I didnt change the whole shebang back to stock when I had to buy the sensor was that the guys told me I would have to go junkyard hopping to get the correct harness. That sounded like a huge PIA. Thanks for the quick response. I will post back here when I find out exactly what we are dealing with.

Rich

Old 04-03-2004, 01:54 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Ok, Ive been busy for the past couple of days, and wasnt able to call the dealership back. I did however do a search for the part. This is what it is:

F5VZ12B579BARM
Engine - Air inlet - Air mass sensor
Air mass sensor - Gas 1995

Did the fuel metering change that much between 95 and 96? If so, I would rather just wait for this sensor to be swapped out, and go back to the proper one for a 96. Thanks Ken

Rich

Old 04-08-2004, 08:20 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
El bumpo. I know your busy Ken, but I didnt want this post to get lost in the jumble. I read about how backed up you are, and I understand. I hope you can get around to this at some point. Thanks

Rich

Old 04-11-2004, 10:59 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Bump. Also, my father is looking into a diablo. I will post the computer code when I get it, to see if you can burn one for him. Thanks

Rich

Old 04-13-2004, 01:15 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I'm going to have to get some feedback from Diablo on this one. I don't have the specs for all the computer parts but I know who does. Don't you just hate when someone hacks up a vehicle, leaving you to fix the mess?

Old 04-13-2004, 02:24 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Ok, I took off the kick panel today to get the code (found out my darn truck is leaking somewhere ) and I believe the code was TIN3. That sound like a probable code for a 96 Bronco? I had read it upside down, so I could be mistaken. Thanks Ken.

Rich

Old 04-13-2004, 03:12 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Yeah, can do that one, even a 4 bank program!

Old 04-13-2004, 04:05 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Just to clarify, can you burn me a chip with that code, as well as the aforementioned MAF thats been swapped? I just looked over the Motorhaven site, but couldnt find the answer. What is a 4 bank chip? I think I just need the chip with the stock setting, as well as the custom burn for my app (I have headers too). Would that be the 2 stage chip? Thanks

Rich

Old 04-15-2004, 12:52 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
anxious bump

Old 04-15-2004, 01:17 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
A 4 bank chip merely means the chip overrides all 4 banks of the stock computer memory. The chip you would need is a two stage with a custom program as the 2nd stage.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:33 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply, but your still killing me here Ken . Is my non 96 MAF swap an issue with the chip? I have the credit card at arms length, ready and waiting to buy the chip for my app. Thanks

Rich

Old 04-15-2004, 02:49 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Do a dyno pull with an A/F graph. I know you want me to say it does XYZ or ABC and you keep trying to get me to do so. I can't --- a wide band O2 sensor on a dyno can. Whenever an unknown variable like a mismatched MAF is thrown in a dyno with A/F graphs is required. Basically, someone did a bad conversion without doing their homework and now you're left having to do it for them.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:02 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Ok, thank you for the reply. I asked you a few times because I thought you had eluded to the fact that Diablo might have the answer (post #7). I will ressurect this thread once all is said and done. Thank you Ken.

Rich