1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Suspension,body lift questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 03:26 PM
spnrgy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I compared your van pic and a pic of my van and they look the same to me, but if there is a way to increase the clearance, more details would be great.[file:///Users/jrf/Pictures/E150/fenderclearance.jpg]

Old 02-20-2005, 03:27 PM
spnrgy
Freshman User
Guess I can't post a picture here but look in my gallery

Old 02-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Kaleo
Senior User
Well here the pic of my fender trimming, nothing too major, but enough to clear the 35x12.5 tire. Remember mine is a 4x4 E-350 so it does sitt a lot higher.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=68286&.jpg

Here's the pic of yours.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=70034&.jpg

I removed most of the material from the bottom and tapered it to the first body line. I think I took out about 1 1/2". Take a look at where the rear of the fender is bolted to the pinch weld. I actually cut though that bolt and had to add another in the remaining lip.

You are going to have to lift your bumper an possibly some trimming there too.

Old 02-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Kaleo
Senior User
Here's another pic the matches the angle of you pic for better refference. Take a look at how much was shaved off the bumper.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=70036&.jpg

This other shot shows how far back into the fender I cut. Kinda hard to see the sheet metal screw that was added to support the fender after I cut thru the original.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=70037&.jpg

Old 02-21-2005, 12:49 PM
spnrgy
Freshman User
OK now I see. I knew the bumper was trimmed, I'm going to have to do that to mine. Maybe remove that dopey plastic piece or just fab a new bumper from diamond plate. Or rather have it fabbed by this sheet metal shop I've worked with before. Probly cost prohibitive tho. Anyway, when you trimmed your fender, were you left with a sharp metal edge or did you rebend a lip like the orig. had? I assume a body shop took care of the paint for you. It seems like the fender would be really floppy where it was trimmed. Did you TIG a piece perpindicular to the back for support or was it only the sheet metal screw? It looks real good, I like the way it still looks sealed up w/ no gaps like the orig. I just don't know exactly how to do it. I could probably get through it alone, but why reinvent the wheel right? Oh by the way, why are you allowed to post pictures and I'm not?

Old 02-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Kaleo
Senior User
I just used a sawzall to trim the fender. Only the outer skin was cut, support is still back there, so there is no floppyness. I didn't bend the edge back in, it's "sharp". No welding or repainting was done other than some undercoating on the back side and bare metal from the cut.
The results don't look bad, until you get real close to it. When I originally did it I had aluminum running boards. Those were shortened and trimmed so they covered up the edge well. Think about this long and hard before you do cut it. Some times I regret doing it since I've found a way to lift my suspension setup.

I don't know if you are not allowed to post pics or just not doing it right. Took me awhile to figure it out myself. Find the pic in you gallery that you want to post and open it. There should be a link below it that reads "forum codes", Click on it. It will bring up a screen for the URLs of both size pics. Click "auto insert", it adds it to you clip board. Then just paste in to your reply.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 PM
spnrgy
Freshman User
OK thanks for the info, I think I may try the lift blocks under the coil springs and a shackle flip before I go cutting.

You know the little box at the bottom left titled "posting rules" ? It says 'may' do everything except post attachments. Maybe I need to post a certain number of posts before I can do that?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 02-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Kaleo
Senior User
Mine says "MAY NOT post attachments" also.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:50 AM
spnrgy
Freshman User
Right on. I'll try posting from my gallery. By the way, how do you set up your web page? I tried it out and the damn icons don't show up like the help says they should. Where is the wma page editor or whatever they call it?