More Camshaft Concerns - Ahh!

Old 03-28-2004, 11:58 PM
TheImpaler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face More Camshaft Concerns - Ahh!

Ok, I know we went over this previously, but I need to be reassured. : )
I finally received my shortblock - it's waiting patiently in my garage. I'm out $2100 for the machining and parts and etc., and have decided to do things properly and just keep saving for the Ebrock heads, a tranny rebuild, and all of the other misc. items to button this project up nicely.
My issue: The machinist convinced me that "an old CobraJet style cam would be perfect." O.K., I said.
Then, when I get the block back, I find out he couldn't get the cam he had referred to, so he stuck a 343941 in there - I was aggrivated.

Now, since I have the block out of the truck, no longblock components, and plenty of time to change out the cam, I cannot stop debating whether I should take the $100 hit and get an 801. So, given these new circumstances, what's gonna be best for me? (I made the mistake of letting the machinist make some decisions that you guys would disagree with, so far, that has only shafted me and made me really, really angry.)
So yeah, I'm a pawn for you guys once again,

73' CrewCab F250 2WD. Daily driver. 18 year old kid who wants a fun truck - every ounce of performance in that motor, I want. ...But it has to be friendly enough for stop light driving.

...Do I want the 801?

(Whooo-wheee! A cookie for anyone who makes it through that little novel. Sorry!)

-Patrick

Old 03-29-2004, 12:15 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 343941 is probably better than the old CJ cam. Leave it in there, it's a good one IMO.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:26 AM
ACESN8S
Elder User
I like chocolate chip

From what I've learned so far, you should be fine with the 941 like rusty said.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Refresh my memory. What did you want the truck to do? Towing? Ricer racing? Obviously you know the specs on each cam. It doesn't make the decision any easier though does it?

What compression did you have put in the shortblock?

-Scouder

Old 03-29-2004, 12:52 AM
TheImpaler
Senior User
It's gonna be a daily driver that would like to slay some imports. : )
No towing and only the occasional (read: VERY seldom) dump run.
I'm right at 9.2:1 or so.

Ebrock heads with a free flowing exhaust.

-Patrick

Old 03-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Scouder
Posting Guru

I'm going to bed now, but lets run some dynamic compression numbers tomorrow to see if it sheds any light on the decision. If somebody doesn't do it before I do I'll resurrect the thread with some numbers.

Ultimately it's gonna come down to you. The 801 is going to be a lumpier cam, with all the upsides and downsides that goes with it. If you are going to hate yourself for not switching cams then put the 941 on Ebay and get the 801. My tastes are obviously not very mainstream, so I'll refrain from providing an opinon. Yet.

-Scouder

Old 03-29-2004, 01:03 AM
TheImpaler
Senior User
Haha - thanks for all of the info. Sometimes mainstream just isn't the way to go. I too am off to bed. Thanks.

I think I'll do some research on compression tomorrow - I really don't know much about it.

-Patrick

Old 03-29-2004, 08:25 AM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
My 2 cents.

The 941 is already a healthy cam for a 390 powered CrewCab. I don't think you'll see any benefit to going with the 801.

With that much truck, I'd think you want to focus on the low RPM grunt, not the high revving HP.

Old 03-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

I have to agree with Gtex. The DCR calculator shows the 343941 at 7.2, which means with your relatively low compression of 9.2 the cam is bleeding off quite a bit. The 343801 comes in at 6.9, which in my estimation means you may actually see a performance DECREASE by going with the larger cam. Here's my opinion: Stay with the 343941 because you have a heavy vehicle (for some reason I didn't notice it was a crewcab), and fairly low compression.

-Scouder

Search this Thread