Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Overdrive Light BLINKING (F250 SuperDuty)

Old 07-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Gurlwitha7.3
New User
Gurlwitha7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Travelin' Scott - I too am having the same problem with my 200 F250 SD 7.3. Along with the speedometer and A/C not working, the OD light continues to flash as well as my ABS light is on in addition to my blinkers not working. I have replaced the transmission in it with a new one about 5 years ago and am hoping that it IS the VSS. I am going to try to see if that does the trick and replace it. I was also told by an electrician that it might be the ECM module. He stated that there are 2 of them... I'm not sure, I have to do some more research on that part. Going to try the VSS and hopefully it'll fix my problems!
Thanks for your thread.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Gurlwitha7.3 View Post
I was also told by an electrician that it might be the ECM module. He stated that there are 2 of them..
Do you go to your mechanic for wiring problems in your house? There is one module, called the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) that operates both the engine and transmission. It's not likely to be the problem, though it is possible.

If you want to spend a lot of money changing parts without knowing what's wrong is a good way to do that. If you got the codes read we'd know what the PCM sees as the problem and would be able to steer you in the right direction. The places that read codes free CANNOT read Ford transmission codes. You need either a good independent shop or a Ford dealer.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Gurlwitha7.3
New User
Gurlwitha7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

[QUOTE=Mark Kovalsky;18071984]Do you go to your mechanic for wiring problems in your house?

LoL .... Mark, it wasn't with an electrician for the house.... it was an electrician that specifies in vehicles! I can see where when reading it, the mistake could be made. And if my mechanic knows anything about the wiring in my house...... MORE POWER TOO HIM!!! LoL .
My son in law works for a reputable mechanic company here in town where I live and he can get the codes for me with the truck and I'll go from there. THEN I will take it to my (vehicle) electrician. When I took it there before, they told me also about the PCM and ECM modules. But like you said, lets start with the basics and know where to troubleshoot first before we go and spend dollars.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Now it makes a lot more sense!

Old 07-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Domenic1965
New User
Domenic1965 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tranny not shifting

Th overdrive button is blinking n its stuck in 2nd gear i think

Old 07-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
It's blinking because trouble codes have been stored in the computer's memory. Being stuck in a gear is one thing that can set a code, but that's usually due to some other failure. The stuck in gear is a symptom of a problem, not the cause of the problem.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:47 PM
dugd111
New User
dugd111 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So I've read this thread and others regarding the blinking OD light. I have a '99 F350 SD w/7.3 PSD. The OD button started blinking last week out of nowhere. Searched the forums for ideas. Had my neigbor bring his scanner from his shop and run scan. Pulled codes P1670 and P0755. I took the ol truck to transmission shop for them to check and confirm my findings. They came back with the same codes and price of $850ish to replace shift solenoid pack and CPS. Question I have is since this is the code being thrown, will this fix the issue? Some say chase the wiring harness connectors and others say tranny work. From another post from Mr. Kovalsky he stated that a wiring issue would not throw the code so I'm hoping that by fixing the specific code issue, this will stop the slow shift from 2-3. The only physical driiving issue is when the OD light is blinking, it is slow to shift from 2 to 3. When OD light is not blinking the truck drives just fine. Thx.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
It's not the wiring. Neither of those codes say that there is an electrical issue. The P0755 indicates that there is a problem with the shift solenoid. I recommend replacing the solenoid body.

I'm not familiar with the P1670 code. The description I have is Electronic Feedback Signal Not Detected. Possible causes:
Open fuse
Faulty Injector Driver Module (IDM) relay
Open or shorted Injector Driver Module (IDM) enable circuit
Open/short in EF circuit
Open/short in Fuel Delivery Command Signal (FDCS) circuit
Injector Driver Module (IDM) powering circuits
Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p1670_ford.html