1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

question on 2.9 liter

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:12 PM
Cmq44
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on 2.9 liter

I bought this motor new from ford...well actually remanufactored. My question is...i was told that ford redone the heads for the 2.9. And i was told that the heads on the remanufactored motor were the revised heads. I recently ran the truck hot because i didnt know the intake gaskets blew and anitfreeze drained into the oil pan. The heads that are on the truck now are iron heads and i was told those are very hard to crack and not to worry with them....(this is from a ford master mechanic) Make a long story short, i drove the truck for 3 weeks no problem then i started hearing clatter. My rod bearings were giving out. i figured this is from the anitfreeze front the intake leak. I am now replacing the crank and main and rod bearings in the truck. I dont want to pull the heads if i dont have to but does anyone this when i overheated the motor that the heads could have cracked? Like i said i have drove the truck for 3 weeks and no problem and its holding antifreeze fine, other than the water that was in the motor from when the intake gaskets blew and i just changed the oil (which was the first time since i got the truck back) right before i pulled the motor. But i have kept a close eye on the oil and coolent since i got it back. I am a student driving 1 hour each day to school one way....so i need durable trasnportation. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Cmq44

Old 03-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford did revise the heads in 1989 but they still crack very easy.