Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Rear tires stuck on axials

Old 03-21-2000, 07:55 AM
kaution
Freshman User
kaution is starting off with a positive reputation.

Has anybody had trouble taking the reart tires off? I was going to rotate my tires, but when I tried to take the rear tires off they were stuck on the axial. I called up ford and they said that this is common for the aluminum wheels on the super duty trucks.
Does anybody have a solution to this problem?

Old 03-21-2000, 06:34 PM
J.C.
Senior User
J.C. is starting off with a positive reputation.

Don't you just love that added safety feature? I know I feel better knowing I could lose all of the lug nuts and I still don't have to worry about my tires coming off!
I had that same very problem but, with all four, not just two. I tried for hours to get them off with no luck. I hit them, kicked them, pushed them, pulled them, hit them with hammers, and finally slapped them and called them names. After none of those attempts worked I got out the WD-40 and soaked them down. I then waited 4-5 hours and reversed my previous process. I think the key is to call them names first because after that they started breaking lose. I still almost had to kick the truck off the jack before they would come off but, it worked. I'm sure my neighbors were also delighted since I supplied them with an afternoon of entertainment. If you want to make sure it doesn't happen again you might want to pick up some anti-seize from an auto parts store and give them a nice coating.

Old 03-21-2000, 07:43 PM
wawii
Senior User
wawii is starting off with a positive reputation.

I had the same problem on my Explorer with Aluminum wheels.

Finally gave up pumped enough air into it to get to a shop and let them deal with it.

Galvanic Corrosion between the un-painted steel and the aluminum wheel. When I had the rear wheels off my SD to install the Velvet Rides I painted the axle hub with corrosion paint to help prevent it. Also rotating the wheels regularly will help as well.

Will

Old 03-22-2000, 10:25 PM
iron chicken
New User
iron chicken is starting off with a positive reputation.

Mine did exactly the same thing. Go to Wal Mart
or any auto supply store and get a tube of Permatex anti-sieze. When you have the wheels off
the next time, put a thin film of the anti-sieze on the inner radius of the rim where it centers on the axle hub. Renew the film every time you take the rear rims off. A tube will last a lifetime. I've found that painting the hubs will
sometimes stick the rims on even tighter.

Old 03-26-2000, 02:10 AM
harstad
New User
harstad is starting off with a positive reputation.