Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

2005 Super Duty vs the competition.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Super Duty vs the competition.

The 2005 Super Duty should be out in the next few months now. From the sounds of it, styling changes will be relatively minor, limited to the interior and grille area. That is a good thing. It sounds like it will probably be getting the 3 Vlave 5.4, and also a 3 Valve version of the 6.8 V10? That would also be a good thing.

What I'm not so sure is a good thing is the probable change to a coil sprung front end on the 4x4's. While I'm happy to hear the SFA will remain, I question Fords reasoning for dumping the leaf springs. The current Super Duty's ride well enough, and the current front suspension is a great working model of simplicity. Why is Ford doing this? Is it simply to make it seem like they are trying to change things to gain a larger market share? I know many many people who own SD's, and never once have any complained about a stiff ride or problems with the front end.

Is the competition from Dodge and GM influencing this decision, or is it just that Ford wants to try something different, much to my, and many others chagrin?

Old 03-25-2004, 09:09 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree I don't know why ford is doing this. Here is another twist to the story. My take on it. Before the new models come out this fall. Just think how many superduties they will sell between now and then. Lots lots more than most years. I think this year will see ford sell more pickupsthan they have in recent years. Ford trucks are the bread and butter of ford motor company. There car business has been suffering. They can't afford to have a bad year on truck sales. With the new 150 and changes in the suoerduty it should be agreat year for sales on trucks. Ford needs this to make up some of the bad years they have had in recent years. Maybe next year and the years ahead Ford will gain in the car amarket with there new models.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:26 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that one of the only catergories that Chevrolet may have been winning in the HD truck catergory would have been ride comfort, and since going IFS on the HD lineup is out of the question (thank the Lord), this is a step towards a more comfortable ride without sacraficing functionality.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:17 AM
william andrew
Freshman User
Hello everybody.
I am wondering if they will offer the leaf springs,on some sort of heavy suspension package.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Cummins 600
Freshman User
The sneak preview photos I have seen looked as though the headlights might have changed a little too. I am curious how different it will be in a appearance compared to the new F-150. I think the tailgate looks a little different as well.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:27 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
I really don't see why they go to all the trouble of designing a coil sprung front end. The dodges dont ride any softer, the HD GMs dont ride any softer with their IFS. What is the point? Coils offer no advantage in this application.

Old 03-27-2004, 03:07 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by william andrew
Hello everybody.
I am wondering if they will offer the leaf springs,on some sort of heavy suspension package.
Maybe in something like the snowplow package, that would be nice.

Old 03-27-2004, 04:14 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
i have seen some pics of the 05 SD trucks. the front looks something like the Tonka concept truck. the new truckin magazine has a spy photo of the SD HD truck. its got 20 inch wheels on it.

Old 03-27-2004, 05:44 PM
sinister73
Elder User
The Super Duty is a nice truck, and it's one which compares favorably with it's competition in almost every regard. Ford does not need to change most of it in my opinion. From what I've seen, there aren't too many radical body changes planned for the Super Duty in the 2005 MY. This is good to me. The switch to coil springs is not a big issue IMO. I'm sure they will be plenty strong enough to do the job. I doubt that Ford would carry leaf springs over to the new MY for some special use applications, but probably will offer some stronger coils for those intended uses. I could be wrong.

I like these proposed changes;

1. 3 valve 5.4L
2. 3 valve V10
3. Coil springs
4. Upgraded interior

I'm indifferent to these changes;

1. Different headlamps
2. Different grill

I would hate;

1. 04' F150 Bodystyle

I would despise;

1.) Anything that looks like the TONKA

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I really don't care for the looks of the new 04' F150. I think the Super Duty looks great just as it is, and really dos'ent need to be messed with. Of course this is IMHO .

Some changes I would also like to see? Fully hydroformed frame. 6.0 PSD Turbo re - done for more low end performance (I'm going on the assumption that the initial problems have been worked out, there seem to be fewer complaints about this motor, and hopefully this pattern continues ). A quad cab type option. I say QC, because it's the only cab configuration I'd consider besides a regular cab. Extended cabs are too small for their intended purpose(seating live cargo) and Crew cabs are too big for my tastes.

All of this IMHO.

Old 03-27-2004, 06:50 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
I agree with sinister abiut the changes to the superduty. The 3 valve engine technology with the 5.4 and V-10. The switch to coils. Upgraded interior. I believe I have heard ford is redsighning the frame though. All these changes will keep ford the leader in heavy duty truck sales. As far as the front end changes are concerned I wish they wouldn,t but nothing stays the same. Remember when chevy changed there front and went from great looking front to terrible. Hope fords isn't that drastic. Maybe they will extend the extended cab just a little like they did the 150. I fell in love with the superduty when it first came out. To me it was and is the premiere truck out there. Nothing compares to it. Dodge has got there cummins but the rest of the truck doesnt compare to the ford. Ive had the chance to ride in the dodge,ford, and chevy and the superduty out classes them all. Even with the 6.0 l problems people can't find nothing to compare to the superduty.Its the truck everybody compares to.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordLariat
Maybe in something like the snowplow package, that would be nice.
There is already a camper suspension package, a snowplow package, and a heavy suspension package offered on the Super Duties.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:53 PM
1979ford
Senior User
Why has Ford gone away from putting a big block gas in there superduties?

Old 03-27-2004, 09:14 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Its all about change. Big blocks were good but I believe this new V 10 with 3valve and the 5.4 with 3 valve is a step in the right direction. More power with new technology.

Old 03-27-2004, 09:40 PM
gilraine
Tuned
I hope they make the steering more responsive.. the 01 f-350 at work seems to take forever to steer...

Old 03-27-2004, 09:46 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Do any of you guys have links? Coils in front? Man, Im going to have to read/see this to believe it.

Rich

Quick Reply: 2005 Super Duty vs the competition.