Reverse Sensor Switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:23 PM
photomanz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse Sensor Switch problem

Hello all,
Has anyone had a problem with their reverse sensor switch on the dash turning itself off? I have a 2000 X LTD 4x4. I just had the two passenger side door lock actuators replaced and now the backup sensor switch will not stay on. I press the switch from off to on and as soon as I put it in reverse it turns itself back off. Are the lock actuators wired into the backup system? This forum has been great for info since I got my X two weeks ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Alan

Old 04-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Hmmm....I don't think the doorlocks have anything to do with the RSS. Someone at the dealership may just be a crossed wire or (as weird as it sounds) caused a short somewhere. I'm not sure at all, but I don't see why it would do that. Maybe there was a recall about this. If I'm not mistaken, 2000 (I think) was the first year for the RSS on Excursions, F-250s, and F-350s. Nonetheless, I think there is obviously somekind of quirk in the system somewhere.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Boar-Ral
Junior User
Every time you put the vehicle in reverse, you must disable the reverse sensing system. This is not the most ideal solution but it is what Ford decided to do. I can imagine it being a real pain when backing up a trailer and you need to go forward and reverse a few times.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
All the same, I don't think it should just turn itself off like that. The one on my X is always comes on (in reverse) unless you turn it off. Thats why I think there may be a crossed wire somewhere. Because it seems that your system is working the other way around.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Boar-Ral
Junior User
D'oh! I misread! Yes, it certainly seems that the system is acting _opposite_ of the way that it should be.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
They are designed to be ready at all times. Are you saying that when you put it in reverse the off light comes on or when you put it in reverse you have to turn it off when pulling a trailer. If I turn my switch to off and then put it in reverse it will reset and I have to turn it off again. I quess it is unclear what your situation is. Maybe it's me. Toyman

Old 04-05-2004, 09:01 PM
photomanz
New User
Yes Toyman,

There must be a loose wire or something because today it worked sometimes but other times it would keep turning itself off. even if you tried to turn it on, as soon as you put the truck into rev. it would light up the off position.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:52 PM
photomanz
New User
Hello all,

Just an update on my problem. Took the X to the dealer and they checked out the backup system and found one of the sensors went bad and it wasn't the switch. Thanks for the input.

Alan