Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Considering the Tayota Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 04:46 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, and I stand by that post, but just out of the blue, you quoted
__________________________________________________ __

`Originally posted by vman
Those toyotas are built here, maybe thats why they have issues now. `
fordlariat did.
__________________________________________________ __
This makes absolutely no sense to me. I think you misquoted someone in your original post.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:39 AM
momalle1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOH! You're right, I grabbed the wrong quote. I meant to quote and reply to wxboy when he said "I never said the Toyota was higher quality. " He thought I was replying to him. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:51 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you checked out any of the 03' F-150's?

I'm sure that there is still quite a few of them at the dealer ship lots.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:23 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Originally posted by vman
Those toyotas are built here, maybe thats why they have issues now.
That thought had occured to me also.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:34 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
If you like the Ranger, want 4x4 but it's beyond your budget, why not look at a 1 or 2-year old one? We get them all the time, in nice shape with low miles, and they're usually loaded.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:46 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Jeff your right. There are lots of those 1to2 year old rangers on lots. I know of several people that have bought some of those,. Everybody was happy with theirs.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:52 PM
User 050423
Mountain Pass
Yea I have considered a used Ranger, and don't see anything wrong with that idea. Other than I'd really love to have a 'new' car. You definately make out better financially by letting someone else take the huge hit and drive it for only 20k miles. BEsides, I graduate in May (from OU) and I was told that the 1st time buyers programs/ financing are only on new vehicles. Haven't verified this yet, but I believe it's true.

But, really I don;t even need 4 wheeld drive. Sure, it'd be nice to have if I needed it. Resale value is alot higher with it. But also, it's one more thing to complicate the truck mechanically (read: one more thing to go wrong). Sure, that is pessimistic, but since I don't really need the functionality of it, that's how I look at it. I really only want the 4x4 Ranger for the ground clearance and stance; neither of these really require all 4 wheels to turn.

Oh, and I can't find a one 2003 F-150 in the state - at least not from Ford.

I do have a new idea, which sounds like a pretty decent one. I could just get a 2 wd. Supercab with lsd, and put a 2" or so lift on it. The cost would be less than 4wd. Of course, supercab = no 4 cyl and I personally like the 4 cyl engines.

I have some thinking to do I guess.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:10 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
How much difference is there in gas mileage between the V6 and the 4 cylinder in the Ranger? If it isn't that much, then I say go with the 2wd Supercab Ranger (if you want to stay domestic). The Toyota wouldn't be a bad choice, though.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Tedrow
Freshman User
Rangers

When I was first looking to get a pickup I lookied at toyota, nissan, Ford, ect. but it soon became clear that the only real pickup in my price range with all the options I wanted was the Ranger. So about two summers ago I bought a 99 Ford Ranger 4x4 v6 5spd with only 27,000 miles for 10k. Sure it only has the 3.0 liter but for the money I saved by not buying a similarly equiped Toyota I could have bought two of my trucks. Defenetly the best decision I've ever made, and so far I've had no problems what so ever at 45,000 miles and I wheel this rig like a mad man.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:59 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Smile

No mater how you look at it The toyota is made here but it is still a Japan car company. Just remember where Fords roots are. If I ever went to a nother country then I whould go with a Toyota. But here no. Good Luck in your quest.

Old 03-30-2004, 05:02 PM
fsuranger
Freshman User
Why not get a Ranger edge? Granted you cant get the 4 cyl. but you can get a 4x4 ride height in a 2wd. The only negative in my opinion is the rubber floor, I would rather have a little more fancy with a carpet. You can find these for around $12-15k for a 2002. Ive been looking myself.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:52 AM
BrianJ77
Senior User
I feel I must tackle the Japenese/American car debate when it comes to jobs. You could not tell anyone in San Antonio, TX where I live that buying a Japanese truck hurts the American economy by shipping jobs overseas. Between 2,000-5,000 jobs will be coming here as a result of the new truck plant set to open in 2006. Already San Antonians are employed by building the factory site itself. Toyota has made a promise to employ local workers first and use local supply companies when possible. The I-Force V-8 used in Tundra is built in AL (or is it MS?). Again, more Americans employed. My Tacoma is American built as well and I have had 8 years of trouble-free reliable service (proof that Americans can build great cars even in modern times). In fact, Consumer Reports named it one of the most reliable cars/trucks on the road. These trucks are built with better made parts and each employee is encouraged to stop the assembly line if a problem is noticed. Stop problems at the factory before the customer gets them. The result is a better made truck built by your neighbors. As for whether to buy the Tacoma or Ranger, buy the Tacoma. You wont' regret it.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:23 AM
FordRuss
Senior User
Taco Owner here...

Just a sec... Need to put my fire retardant suit on... Here's the basis for 'my' opinion....

I LOVE Fords but own a '98 Taco SR5.. It's 4x2, extended cab & last tank of gas gave me 27.8 mpg (Hand calculated since there's no trip cpu).. I've had a Ranger as a rental for 2 weeks & it was a great truck. Not long enough to really form a solid opinion though. The big reason for me "trying" a Toyota is because my last 2 vehicles were major POS's. One was a 88 Dakota (9 times in shop the first year, 2 trannies within 2K miles, etc.) The last "trip to the shop" lasted 7 months (I had a loaner for 6 months) & the other was a 95 Aerostar (Thank God for Extended Warranties... Needed it monthly until I got rid of it with only 100K miles)

First time I drove my Taco was when I drove off the lot.. Been in the shop once in 71K miles for a new exhaust manifold heat shield (Warranty).. It's been on tons of hunting & fishing trips and has never let me down.. That engine still uses a timing chain instead of a belt, so no 65K mile replacements either.. Just regular maintenance..

Just my experience that for small trucks, Tacos are my first choice.. Anything larger and I'd get another Ford... Hopefully the next one will be less of a headache.. I have faith in Ford - That's why I'm still on this board..

Good Luck,

Russ

Old 04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Thumbs down

If you are an American you should drive American you were not born some whares else. The problem in this country is there is no loyaty any more.

Old 04-01-2004, 03:26 PM
FordRuss
Senior User
Originally Posted by sglaine
If you are an American you should drive American you were not born some whares else. The problem in this country is there is no loyaty any more.

That's what I love about this country... Freedom of choice!!! The Soviet Union used to sell only the cars they made. They were poorly crafted, overpriced and just plain junk.. Motorists had to buy them as they had no other choice. Quality was never improved since they had a captive market.. Competition is healthy in the industry..

Just my 2 cents... Didn't mean to go off topic either

Quick Reply: Considering the Tayota Tacoma