Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:04 PM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know lots of folks debate whether to change filters, but it really should be changed at it is the only part in there that will restrict fluid flow which is the reason I have lost transmissions in the past due to lack of fluid flow. Now, from lesson learned, I change the filter.
I have posted in other posts, my results of the filter conditions. The first 30K was the dirtiest from all the clutch materials and breakin gook. Second time was not as bad, but still to me, not clean enough. 3rd time at 90K, was pretty clean, actually material was bright pink since the white filter material was clean. And 4th time, same result, very clean.
Why go to all the trouble to drop the pan and not change the filter. Only $30 bucks vs over $4k transmission rebuild, but maybe that is just me being ****.
If my tranny goes now, I know it is not fluid restriction from a dirty filter and dirty fluid.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jon1118
fluid was gushing out of the pan where the return line was removed.
That is caused either by a restriction in the cooler lines or coolers, or the bypass valve is stuck open.

Originally Posted by RobertH
Almost sounds like the pan is overfilled?
No.

Unless, the filter seal is not seated or there?
No.

Originally Posted by bdivine32
Oh, another thing. The depth of the pan has NOTHING to do with 2 or 4 wheel Drive. My 99 F350 CC 4wd has a Shallow pan and according to the Puter, should be the Deep.....
Right and wrong.

The E4OD (through 1998) had a shallow pan for 4x2 and a deep pan for 4x4. Starting with the '99 model year ALL 4R100 transmissions left the factory with deep pans. The shallow 4x2 pan was discontinued in production. That doesn't mean that someone could have changed pans later.

Not sure if you compared them closely or not, but if any doubt, I would drop the pan and get another filter and check the seal for sure.
Waste of time. The seal can't do this, whether it is missing or there are two of them.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Starting with the '99 model year ALL 4R100 transmissions left the factory with deep pans. The shallow 4x2 pan was discontinued in production. That doesn't mean that someone could have changed pans later.
Just to add to this info, a little footnote if you will from the F150 side of life, the 4R100 equipped F150 Lightning trucks (for those that don't know, the '99 - '04 Gen 2 L's came with the diesel 4R100's, just in a different case) came from the factory with the 4x2 pans.

Bolting on the 4x4 pan and appropriate filter was a "standard" upgrade whenever the valve body was changed, which was a very common mod.

Not really relevant to this conversation, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Stewart

Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 AM
jon1118
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the new filter was exactly like the one removed which was purchased from the dealership. the parts guy didn't ask for any more details about my truck than the standard year, make, model, engine size. when i installed the new one i'm sure it was seated properly. now knowing there is restriction in my cooler or cooler lines or bypass valve is stuck open, what to do now? i drove my truck about 40 miles yesterday and it felt great.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

It will feel great. The problem will show up if the truck is working hard. The transmission will get too hot.

You need to inspect the lines from the transmission to the radiator and back looking for any damage. If you don't find any it could be a damaged or plugged cooler, or the bypass could be stuck open.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
NyBuilder
New User
I dont want to sound like a dumb *** but how the heck did you drain the torque converter w/ out removing it ?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by NyBuilder
I dont want to sound like a dumb *** but how the heck did you drain the torque converter w/ out removing it ?

Some torque converters have drain plugs ( around 2001 they stopped with the drain plugs) so you can remove plug and drain. If no drain plug, you will need to flush system.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 PM
NyBuilder
New User
Originally Posted by cbradford
Some torque converters have drain plugs ( around 2001 they stopped with the drain plugs) so you can remove plug and drain. If no drain plug, you will need to flush system.
okay so I assume the bellhousing will have a removalbev inspection plate to see the plug from. if not drop the pan change the filter fill trans the by pulling the cooling line it will drain from the converter ? why wouldnt I just drain it from the drain in the pan ?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes if yours has a drain plug you would have to remove inspection plate, if no drain plug I used this procedure:Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

It worked for me when I converted to full synthetic fluid, my 05 does not have a drain plug.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by NyBuilder
okay so I assume the bellhousing will have a removalbev inspection plate to see the plug from. if not drop the pan change the filter fill trans the by pulling the cooling line it will drain from the converter ? why wouldnt I just drain it from the drain in the pan ?
You can't drain the torque converter from the cooler lines or the pan. Removing both will not drain the torque converter.

If you follow my procedure (see cbradford's post above) you will change the fluid in the torque converter.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 PM
NyBuilder
New User
Thanks man

Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM
grantp
New User
Really Old Trans Post

Just reading through the thread about changing transmission fluids, etc. I have been searching through here the last 4 days, because I had a blown head gasket on my 2000 F350 7.3L, got the info, rebuilt the top end, running strong again. While readingup on other things I might start considering doing to my truck, I was kind of embarassed that I hadn't paid the kind of attention other folks do to their vehicles. While I do engine oil changes every 7000 km or so (with filter), keep after air and fuel filters, I have not even thought about the transmission (except for the very occasional fluid top up) since it went out of warranty (for mileage) in June 2001. I have 1.4 million kilometers on my truck now, and I'm almost afraid to ask for advice on flushing the transmission, or just leaving it until it dies a natural death..... I trailer horses, and cars until the last 4 years when the farm took over all my time.

Ok, have at it.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

850,000 miles on the original fluid!!!!!! That has to be a record. I have no advice for you. I don't know what I would do with this one.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
grantp
New User
Really Old Trans Post

Actually, the dealer did a service in Ingersoll Ontario a few 100 km before the warranty ran out in June 2001, cost $100 or so, so I cannot claim original fluids. But after reading the posts about 25,000 Km or so regular fluid flushes, I'm getting nervous. I still use the truck daily, but no where near as hard as the first 10 years. But, still trailering regularly, just not the Ontario to Florida, and East to West trips I used to make with her.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 AM
cwagner556
New User
Did a quick change of the fluid need to do one more drain fill. hopefully this helps anyone that needs it.

Quick Reply: 4R100 Transmission Fluid Change