Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 Transmission Fluid Change

Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM
ZBIGBIG19TH
Elder User
ZBIGBIG19TH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Outer one is the line disconnect.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:54 AM
jimzigg
Junior User
jimzigg is starting off with a positive reputation.
10-4 thanks. about to start now. i wont be changing the filter/screen, just a fluid swap or now...........

Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
jimzigg
Junior User
jimzigg is starting off with a positive reputation.
wow i loosened just tad and its leaking already!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Post Fiend
X_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
I measured the fluid that was removed in each scenario.
Draining the fluid from the pan was 7 quarts exactly.
I refilled with 7 quarts.
Disconnected the rear cooler line from the transmission, slid a 3/8" ID clear vinyl hose over the flange. Didn't need to clamp it since it was a good tight fit. Ran the hose to a bucket and used a small woodshop clamp to hold the hose in the bucket.
Started the engine and the fluid pumped into the bucket. When I saw airbubbles start, turned off the engine.
Measured the fluid pumped out.....5 quarts exactly.
Replaced 5 quarts, started engine, pumped out till bubbles.
Replaced 5 quarts, started engine, moved shifter through gears for a few minutes, checked level, looked like it needed about 1/2 quart, added 1/2 and then drove down the highway, came home checked fluid level again, all is good and on the full mark.
I bought two cases of fluid, had 1-1/2 quarts left over, so I went through 22-1/2 quarts.

Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
I did the complete flush process and used 22 quarts. Draining the pan and removing it took 7 quarts to refill. Then, each startup until I got the bubbles in the line took approx. 5 quarts each time and I did this 3 times.
I figured I'd try and do my own flush since I called my stealership and they want $200 to do a full flush and refill with full synthetic. I had them do it for me about 25K ago and I'm heading out for a near 5K mile towing trip this summer and want to have fresh fluid...the last flush I asked for "FULL" synthetic...is that still Mercon V?

Anyway Robert...I realize this is an OLD thread...but in the first post I quoted above...I was trying to follow the math when you said you used 22 1/2 quarts but the way I read it you were at 27 quarts...however the second post I quoted you said you did the engine start and stop 3 times and not the apparent 4 times you listed in the first quote.

I'm trying to figure out how many quarts to buy...seems like 24?

However doing the 'math'...If I check say AutoZone for FULL Synthetic tranny fluid (Mobile1) it shows $8/qt. $8 * 24 quarts is $192...what am I missing other than I could use Mercon V at about $5/qt and have $120 + tax in fluid and still have to do this work myself...

The dealer is offering me FULL synthetic full flush for $200 total...I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing something with my math.

They would do a Mercon V flush for about $150...

Since I mostly tow with my Ex...I tink I want to stick with the FULL synthetic though...

This is a great thread with awesome info!

Joe.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Joe, did you see Mark Kovalsky's How-To link posted above, post number 28?

It covers everything.

Stewart

Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 AM
walt501
Junior User
walt501 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'll start by saying that I know that Ford at first didn't recommend Mercon V for the 4R100 transmission but now they say it is ok. I've also read that they made some changes to Mercon V to make it compatible with the 4R100. Again from what I've read, the old Mercon V was not compatible with the glue used to attach the friction material to the clutch plates. So is the new and improved Mercon V now ok to use? I don't have the answer, but I will say that 3 years ago I bought 50 quarts of old Mobile 1 Mercon and used up the last of them with my trans flush last fall.

Personally, when I next change my trans fluid I'm going to use Amsoil Torque-Drive Synthetic Trans fluid. Without getting into Amsoil's product ratings, or lack thereof, it is still called Mercon, not Mercon V.

AMSOIL - Torque-DriveŽ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)

For 4 wheel drive vehicles using the 4R100, the owners manual still calls for Mercon in the transfer case, which should be changed at the same interval as the transmission.. Some might find it interesting to know that Ford did come out with a replacement fluid for Mercon to use in the transfer case called Motorcraft XL-12.

Transfer Case Fluid

The only question I have, which I doubt Ford will shed any light on, is Motorcraft XL-12 the old Mercon? Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 AM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by walt501 View Post
So is the new and improved Mercon V now ok to use? I don't have the answer...
It's now widely known that Ford had the formulation changed for Merc V and it is now compatible (as well as the only one recommended) for the 4R100 transmission.

Stewart

Old 02-13-2011, 04:30 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by walt501 View Post
For 4 wheel drive vehicles using the 4R100, the owners manual still calls for Mercon in the transfer case, which should be changed at the same interval as the transmission.. Some might find it interesting to know that Ford did come out with a replacement fluid for Mercon to use in the transfer case called Motorcraft XL-12.

Transfer Case Fluid

The only question I have, which I doubt Ford will shed any light on, is Motorcraft XL-12 the old Mercon? Hope this helps.
Get out your owner's manual. It should have a Ford spec for the ATF. The spec for XL-12 is ESP-M2C166-H. If that is what it calls for in the transmission then it may be the same stuff. Even though XL-12 says not to use it in an automatic transmission....

Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Post Fiend
X_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Joe, did you see Mark Kovalsky's How-To link posted above, post number 28?

It covers everything.

Stewart

Stewart,

Yes I did see Marks EXCELLENT write up!

The part that has me confused though...if I truly need 24 quarts (i.e. 6 gallons) of fluid that is going to set me back more than or equal to what the dealer is going to charge me to do the flush.

Even following the link above to the Amsoil site...a 2.5 gallon jug will cost $107 without shipping so you'd need 2 of the 2.5 gallon jugs and 1 gallon jug...the cost is $214 + $45 + shipping for the Amsoil versus having Ford do a FULL SYNTHETIC flush...THAT is what I'm struggling with right now.

Plus I'd have to collect and dispose of SIX GALLONS of fluid...I'm just trying to convince myself that the cost savings are there to justify doing this myself and I'm having a hard time seeing it over just paying the dealer to do it is all...

While I am somewhat confused by Robert's first post where it looks like he would need 27 quarts...I believe Mark covers it with his "How To".

Does that make sense?...basically what I'm trying to understand...is anyone seeing a flaw in my math?...

Thanks,
Joe.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:03 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
locknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy View Post
Stewart,

Yes I did see Marks EXCELLENT write up!

The part that has me confused though...if I truly need 24 quarts (i.e. 6 gallons) of fluid that is going to set me back more than or equal to what the dealer is going to charge me to do the flush.

Even following the link above to the Amsoil site...a 2.5 gallon jug will cost $107 without shipping so you'd need 2 of the 2.5 gallon jugs and 1 gallon jug...the cost is $214 + $45 + shipping for the Amsoil versus having Ford do a FULL SYNTHETIC flush...THAT is what I'm struggling with right now.

Plus I'd have to collect and dispose of SIX GALLONS of fluid...I'm just trying to convince myself that the cost savings are there to justify doing this myself and I'm having a hard time seeing it over just paying the dealer to do it is all...

While I am somewhat confused by Robert's first post where it looks like he would need 27 quarts...I believe Mark covers it with his "How To".

Does that make sense?...basically what I'm trying to understand...is anyone seeing a flaw in my math?...

Thanks,
Joe.
Joe, did the dealer say how they were going to flush the tranny? Are you certain it's as good a job as you would do? Just curious.

I'd be leary unless I was standing right there watching them.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by locknload223 View Post
Joe, did the dealer say how they were going to flush the tranny? Are you certain it's as good a job as you would do? Just curious.

I'd be leary unless I was standing right there watching them.
Perhaps Mark can comment on the Ford procedure for "flushing" the trans as he may well have been involved with developing that procedure?

I honestly have no idea except they claim it removes all old fluid from the system thru the cooling lines...

Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I was not involved with developing the procedure. I read it in a shop manual. I based the procedure I wrote on what's in the shop manual.

A dealer (and most independent shops, too) have a machine that connects in the cooler line and removes the old fluid while replacing it with new fluid. It's the same procedure, just easier.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
When I did my flush this last summer I used 22 quarts of merc 5, around $100 for fluid.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Post Fiend
Okay...I think I have my answer...I may take the lazy way out...price wise I'm not sure it is worth my time to mess with 6 gallons of fluid!

Thanks for the responses in this older thread...

Old 02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
01EX
Senior User
01EX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
thanks for the info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4R100 Transmission Fluid Change

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.