Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a link to the onine service manual (I posted the link in a new post) and here is the Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill from the 2001 F-Super Duty 250-550/Excursion/F-53 Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual. According to it, the 01's had a 'Torque Converted Drain Plug'. I haven't ooked at mine, but it's next on my list of maintenance items.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Daviddc114
Senior User
Originally Posted by kevin.ford-trucks
What's involved to disconnect the rear cooler line? Is it obvious which line it is?
same here,, where do you connect the hose to???? which line exactly?? at the radiator, or a the tranny??

Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is the link on the details on this website:
Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

In number 4 in the document:
4. Disconnect the transmission-fluid return line at the transmission - from where the ATF returns to the transmission from the cooler. This is the line towards the rear of the transmission. Clamp the clear tubing over the line that you removed from the transmission. This is where the fluid comes out.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious which is the right line. There's only one line to the rear of the trans.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:34 PM
slim pickens
New User
I thought it was a no-no to run Merc V in a original Mercon application? My X is a 2000 4x4 if it matters, but I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the Merc V doesnt play nice with any remaining Mercon, even assuming you do the full flush and therefore get most (~95%?) of the old Mercon????

Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertH
Here is the link on the details on this website:
Robert, you started this thread over 4 years ago, and while your post count indicates you rarely post, you still responded and picked up where ya left off like ya made this thread yesterday! LOL!

With my built tranny, I'm running Swepco fluid, so I won't be doing a flush like this anytime soon!

Stewart

Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by slim pickens
I thought it was a no-no to run Merc V in a original Mercon application?
Ford changed MERCON V to be compatible with all older transmissions that required MERCON. Then they stopped licensing MERCON. MERCON V is now the right fluid. If you do a flush you'll be fine changing to MERCON V. I wouldn't do a partial change from MERCON to MERCON V.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Old Dude
New User
I am confused by the various filters/kits for the 4R100 xmsn. Many part #s and how to tell if "deep pan /shallow pan". The tranny is in a F53 Motorhome chassis.
Please, how do I select which one to order?
THANKS

Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
How many miles are on your MH? A filter change is not really necessary and actually doesn't have a change interval or suggestion for Ford. It's actually more of a screen than a filter anyway. Don't think of it as an engine oil filter. It's not anywhere near what that filter is.

You should be more concerned with changing the fluid.

Welcome the FTE!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:07 PM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always get my filter from Ford since it seems the autoparts stores are different at times and not sure if they will work/fit correctly.

The filter is critical to fit since it is the path for the pickup from the pan, so make sure it is right and the same if you change it.

Not to dispute Monsta but I feel that the filter should be changed every 30K with the fluid. In my past experience with tranny's that went out, the mechanics always told me the filter was critical to fit and should be changed since we don't know the condition of it inside unless the pan is dropped.

The debris in the pan is reflective of what is in the filter. I do agree that the filter is not the same level as an oil filter, but seems to be more of a flat pad that the fluid flows through. It does not have pleats like an oil filter and therefore has less longevity compared to the pleated material in an oil filter. But it is in a different environment so is not as dirty as oil.

A new filter has white filter pad material. To check it, you can look in the pickup hole, but I cut mine open to really see what they were doing.

The 3 filters I have changed on my 4R100 every 30K...first was very dark and dirty as was a very thin layer of sludge or not sure what I would call it. Assume that was parts breaking in. 2nd change, was not as bad, but still had some dark matter. Switched at that time to Mercon V and 3rd change at 90K was very clean, filter pad in the hole was Pink and not dark, representing a clean filter pad with the new fluid.

I think the Mercon V has a definate advantage based upon how clean the filter was, but of course I was likely getting cleaner each change from the initial 30K. Dunno for sure, but sounds logical.

The Mercon V is claimed to be a better fluid, so that can be part of it. I will be changing in the next 10K again and see how I am doing, but based upon how good it was at 90K and fluid right now is still bright pink and smells good, I might extend to 40K and then change it.

Also, changing the filter is very easy to do and just takes a few moments of time and then make sure you torque the bolts. Even the gasket is reusable. No leaks! Ford did a great job on this design. All my GM's leaked! For $30, I feel I have done everything I can to ensure I get the longest life out of my expensive trans!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Based on your experiences with your filters I will defer to you. None of mine were ever "dirty".

Old 12-11-2010, 12:04 PM
cory58
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MarkMoore
I found a link to the onine service manual (I posted the link in a new post) and here is the Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill from the 2001 F-Super Duty 250-550/Excursion/F-53 Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual. According to it, the 01's had a 'Torque Converted Drain Plug'. I haven't ooked at mine, but it's next on my list of maintenance items.
I know this thread is old, but the links in the quote above are no good anymore. Does anyone have a good link or a DIY for the full fluid change?

Thanks, Cory

Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 12-12-2010, 05:08 PM
cory58
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cbradford
Awesome! Thanks.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 AM
jimzigg
Junior User
i am about to tackle the full fluid swap over to Mobil 1 syn ATF. just looked under truck and see the return line that comes in to pass side of trans in rear. This appears to be the line to disconnect and drain from. there are 2 nuts a small outer and a larger inner. which one will i loosen to disconnect?

Quick Reply: 4R100 Transmission Fluid Change