Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help with a whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:36 AM
strangmk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a whine

I recently purchased a F-250 2001 PSD Crew Cab 4x4. I had a 99 4x2 before. It is making what sounds like a gear whine. I thought at first it might be the tranny (auto) but it makes the same noise in park and it increases with throttle. I tried to use a piece of hose like a stethescope to pinpoint the sound thinking maybe it was a pump or something but can't seem to locate. Any ideas??

Old 03-17-2004, 02:40 PM
baileybones
New User
Thumbs up

I have the same condition. It's the power steering pump. Check your P/S fluid level and fill if necessary. Fluid level is not my problem though, must be a bad pump. Doesn't cause any problems so I tune the whine out...ignore it. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:49 PM
strangmk
Freshman User
I have had a little trouble with it. A hose was leaking and I fixed it. Then, last weekend we pulled our camper to Atlanta to the NASCAR race. We we were almost there I noticed the brakes getting real spongy and the steering making even more noise. (it never did stop after I fixed the hose) I checked the fluid and it was empty again. I noticed the cap was almost off. One of the lock ears was broken. Fixed that and filled it back up but still have the whine.