2003 Ranger with SAND in the coolant system

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 05:28 PM
ploe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Ranger with SAND in the coolant system

Anyone ever heard of a brand new Ford truck being sold to someone with SAND in the engine coolant resevoir? Well, now you have!

I just noticed a new "chirp"-ing noise today when I was about to head out for lunch. Sort of a sound you might imagine hearing if the water pump was about ready to go. (?) As I investigated, I discovered my engine coolant resevoir was completely empty with the exception of 1) enough coolant to cover the trough of the resevoir(where it won't drain out) and 2) sand settled at the bottom and lightly lining the inside of the resevoir.

Anyone know where it might have come from? I have only had the truck 1 month and have been vigilant in locking it up no matter where I am (I find it extremely unlikely it was vandelism).

I have heard that they cast the engine blocks with sand but have no idea if it's actually reasonable to think that the sand was "left-over" from that process.

Also, now that I've discovered it, how do I get it out, and how do I know I got all of it out?

Any advice?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:32 PM
ploe
New User
I thought I would also mention that I bought it with 27 miles on it in February, 2004 (1 year old, but new). there is 2,654 miles on it today. How much damage could have occurred?

Also, if any of you have suggestions on dealing with dealerships and service managers, I would appreciate some thoughts -- I'm sure they won't want to admit that they sold it to me in that condition.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE, sorry to hear about your problem.

Isn't your truck still under warranty?

Bring it back to the dealer and show them what you think the problem is. If your truck has sand floating around in your cooling system, then I'm sure the dealer will be just as anxious to address the problem as you are.

Old 03-15-2004, 08:33 PM
ploe
New User
Thanks for the welcome!

You're right, it is under warranty and I was actually unexpected delighted when Roadside assistance actually offered to tow it all the way to the dealership I bought it from (about 35 miles away).

I contacted the dealership, but no one would give me any comforting words that they would take care of it without any problem. I think they're sceptical that it was vandelized or something.

Nonetheless, they are supposed to call me as soon as they assess the situation.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW, you still have your SHO? I have a '90 SHO -- it's old and it looks it too but it's still fun to drive!

Old 03-16-2004, 05:36 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Let us know what the dealer says about your truck.

Yes, I still have the SHO, and right now it's running great. Fun car to drive, I agree.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:41 AM
ploe
New User
Here's what they told me:

1) It's not sand, it's stop leak
2) It does no harm to the coolant system
3) It's something they (Ford) put in random vehicles off the line

Unfortunately, they guy I spoke with wouldn't explain anything more about (3). While, if (1) is true, I understand (2). But (3) is extremely unlikely -- I talked with a friend who is working in a plant and he says that Ford wouldn't send a truck to the dealership in that condition (they wouldn't put stop leak in if there isn't a problem and they wouldn't send the truck to a dealership if there was a problem).

The thing the dealership has yet to explain is that if there is no problem (as they say there isn't), then where did my coolant go?

When I called back again, I didn't get through so I left a voicemail telling the guy I wanted him to talk with his service manager and the mechanics and investigate what is really wrong with my truck.

I have yet to hear back.

On the side, I'm contacting some people in PDC of Ford to find out who to talk to about this dealership and the nonsense they are telling me.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Ford actually makes a Stop Leak Powder (Part # E6AZ-19558-A) so it might have been a Ford-authorized procedure to use it. However, I agree that it's hard to think of a good reason why a brand new truck would need it.

If it were mine, I would have cooling system flushed and refilled, and then I would monitor it closely. If you are still loosing coolant, then you should be able to pinpoint the source of the leak, unless it's an intake/head gasket problem, in which case the leaking coolant could find its way into the oil and crankcase, which can make it harder to detect.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:25 PM
borland
Senior User
I replaced a radiator on a 95' Explorer 4.0L (Pushrod) and found sand in the bottom of the radiator.

The engine block is cast steel, and sand is used to form the cooling jackets during casting. This is usually flushed out in the manufacturing process, but sometimes sand can be left behind which won't cause any harm provided the coolant chemistry is properly maintained.

On my 95', I assumed there was a problem with the casting, as there was uneven coolant flow on one side of the block (the waterpump outputs to both sides of the block), causing a fluxuation in coolant temperature that the thermostat couldn't handle.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:47 PM
ploe
New User
So how can I get at least most of the 'stuff' out of the coolant system?

Old 09-16-2004, 03:23 AM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I confess I feel the dealer is giving you a song and dance routine. Yes, Ford does offer a stop leak compound--as a matter of fact, they offer two; one of them being just like Bars Leak number HDC pellets. However, I can't imagine them putting THAT much of either compound in a brand new engine. IF they had put so much stop leak in the unit, it seems to me that it would inherently clog the cooling system in several places--close to the thermostat, at the heater control valve, and at bends in the coolant passages in the block and especially in the heads. I truly believe you are dealing with sand left over from the casting process. If memory serves me correctly, Ford had a problem with that with the FE's in 1966 and 1967 and with the 400's cast at the Michigan Casting Center in 1973.

If the dealer will not help you with this, I would try to call Ford Customer Service at 800-392-3673.

If all else fails, remove the thermostat and the heater control valve--replacing it temporarily with a union for the heater hoses--and BACK FLUSH the engine. After it cools back down, flush the radiator once again and then fire the engine back up and flush it once more.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:26 PM
canzus
Elder User
It could also be left over casting sand...