1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

86' f-250 fuel filter location??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:23 AM
NOFEAR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 86' f-250 fuel filter location??

first of all hi to everyone... now i have 86 f-250 with a 7.5 engine .. can anyone tell me where exactly the fuel filter is located on this truck... thanks...for any help....

Old 03-15-2004, 06:59 AM
mchild
Senior User
Nofear,

Assuming the truck has the stock Holley carb the filter is inside the fuel inlet. Remove the steel line at the carb to get it out.

Good luck,

Mark

Old 03-15-2004, 01:37 PM
82F1507.5
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup! mchild is right, if it is a stock setup. Kinda hard to know for sure if ya never done it before. Anyway, use two wrenches, one to hold the large nut at the carb and another to remove the fuel line nut and move the fuel line outta the way. Back out the larger nut and remove. The fuel filter looks like a bunch of tiny copper be-be's mashed together to form a drum shape with a cone deal in the middle. You can soak it in a parts cleaner and blow it out with compressed air or just buy a new one at your favorite parts store. Oh! if ya buy a new one, get the ring gasket too.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:03 PM
NOFEAR
New User
thanks, guys.. i found it. and i changed it, but that didn't fixed the problem.. i guess i'll have to change the fuel pump... anybody knows where that's located at???thanks.. again...

Old 03-15-2004, 11:46 PM
MRIBOB
New User
1. Frist what is the problem/symptom you are trying to fix?
2. Not only do fuel filters get pluged but there is a pressure control valve that has the fuel line goining to it and on top a line returing to the tank. and also a steel line going to the carb.
It keeps to much pressure from going to to the carb.
There is a screen in it that gets clogged. take it off frist and make sure it is open. You should be able to blow air from the back and have air come out the front to the carb. the top or reture line may or may not have air pass throw it when testing.

3. Your fuel pump(s) and stocking type filters are in the tank(s).
Have fun if its full of gas taking it down.

4. Behing the power steering pump are the 2 fuel lines - one going to the pressure valve/ carb and one returning to the tank and are cliped to the engine. That is a perfect place with just enough space to add a aftermaket fuel filter- Then no more clogged pressure and carb filters .

Since I am only assuming your having lack of fuel problems since you asked about the fuel filter and now the pump.
Before you go hacking away at your tanks and fuel pumps make sure the pressure valve is not plugged. If so try a junk yard as it is a Dealer only part at about $65.00 . Or do like I did out in Mexico. Take a nail or something and put it from the back to the frong so gas can go through it still you can get a new one.

You need to see if gas is getting to the valve and after valve before you go playing with your tanks.

Post if you need more help.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:06 AM
NOFEAR
New User
thanks, mribob for ur help. well heres my problem. yesterday morning when i started my truck and it was running fine.. and after 3 minutes or so the engine just stop running. i tried to started it again and again and nothing, it wont start.. so i tried to spray some of the starter spray on the carburetor , but that didn't work.. it's like no gas is being pump on the carburetor..can u help..thanks...

Old 03-16-2004, 12:48 AM
MRIBOB
New User
OK

1. Pour 1 oz of gas in the carb. If engine starts for 10 to 20 secs then keep going on with the diagnostics. If it does not start then it is a electical problem that means you have no igniation spark and yo will need to restart the search for the problem.

2. A. If it starts for a few secs then disconect the fuel line to the carb . B. Have someone tuen the key to start the engine and see if gas comes out. It should spary out very fast so be prepared to only crank the engine a few secs. ( DONT GO START A FIRE ) I suggest having a extigisher or at least a water hose ready) .

If no gas then do the samething by disconecting the line before that metal valve as I posted before. I have had them go out 3 times by being clogged. If you get gas the valve is your problem if not then you need to contuine.

If no gas CHECK ALL THE FUSES. There are 3 pathways on the electical systems that provide power to the fuel pump.

1. CHeck fuses ALL of them. Then retry look for gas----
2. CHeck you fuel shut off switch- UNDER DASH on passager side.
Little black box with button. Press it if the button poped out. Then retry to see if gas comes out.

If still no gas comes out and you tried both tanks -

Make sure you run these test on both tanks if you have dual tanks.

This shoud keep you busy for a while.

Repost the results.

There is still more to do before yankng the tankl which is not easy- at least for me.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:24 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an ignition problem if you sprayed ether in the carb and it still wouldn't fire.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:49 PM
mchild
Senior User
The in tank electric fuel pump has to go through the oil pressure sending unit in order to get current. In order to make sure the pump is running unplug the connector from the side of the oil pressure sending unit. The oil pressure sending unit in located on the very back of the motor near the rear of the intake manifold.

With it unplugged, the ignition key set to run, use a jumper wire to connect the two wires in the connector. This will fool the system into thinking that the motor is running and has oil pressure thus activating the fuel pumps. Once you have it jumped you can hear the low hum of the pump running.

If you don’t then you either a bad pump or a problem with the wiring circuit. There is a really that can go bad. It is located between the power brake booster and the driver’s side fender up against the fire wall. It is green in color.

My bet is you have a problem with the pump. I would make sure the pump(s) is running before I went to a lot of effort to see if there is a restriction somewhere.

Good luck,

Mark

Old 03-19-2004, 03:59 PM
raidermann1979
New User
i have one and it had the same problem it was timming on my end and the fuel pump and i got the fuel pump fixed then it went up in flames lol thank god it didnt do much damange now i got a 302 down in her till my 460 is done now i am trying to figure out the wiring