Well I did the gm module duraspark II distributor, tfi coil conversion (long post)

Old 04-05-2004, 11:20 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can imagine the bracket that holds the a/c compressor, without the a/c compressor, I stuck my coil right in between that bracket at an angle.

Something like this:

Old 04-06-2004, 09:25 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
similar to mine, but mine is sandwitched between the block and ac bracket, but i have just developed a problem, after hooking the tach back up it says my engine idles at about 1400rpm! and is 700-2000 rpm off throughout the entire range, it always worked right before, but does the 4-pin send it a mixed signal (i cant figure out how it would)

on edit: are you making a teck article out of the conversion? it just looks like it with the pictures you have.

Last edited by muscletruck7379; 04-06-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:35 AM
buzziscrazy2
Senior User
I have a hard time believing you didn't like the DS2, you musta had a problem somewhere..........A stock DS2 is good for 10,000 RPM all day long, you can't say that about any other Manufacturer..........

I'm sure you had old wiring and connections, ya think that mighta had somthin to do with it ?

So now not only do you have cheby parts in there, you have a known "bad seed" in chevys system in there, And, now if you have a problem you'll really have fun ............

Come on guys, we don't buy Fords to put inferior products back in it....

Old 04-06-2004, 11:01 AM
460powerhouse
Junior User
are these tfi coils on any ford that has fuel injection and a distributor and what is the best one to ask for as in out of what vehicle

Old 04-06-2004, 11:49 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Originally Posted by muscletruck7379
similar to mine, but mine is sandwitched between the block and ac bracket, but i have just developed a problem, after hooking the tach back up it says my engine idles at about 1400rpm! and is 700-2000 rpm off throughout the entire range, it always worked right before, but does the 4-pin send it a mixed signal (i cant figure out how it would)

on edit: are you making a teck article out of the conversion? it just looks like it with the pictures you have.

I hooked my aftermarket tach back up to the negative side of the coil and it works as it did before. Maybe your tach decide to go south? Maybe there is a wire touching something it shouldn't? Hope you get it worked out. No tech article for me, I just did the last drawing and modified the first one, to show you or any other person interested how I did my setup. Lemme know if you find the cause of the eratic rpm reading. Later

Old 04-06-2004, 11:54 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Originally Posted by buzziscrazy2
I have a hard time believing you didn't like the DS2, you musta had a problem somewhere..........A stock DS2 is good for 10,000 RPM all day long, you can't say that about any other Manufacturer..........

I'm sure you had old wiring and connections, ya think that mighta had somthin to do with it ?

So now not only do you have cheby parts in there, you have a known "bad seed" in chevys system in there, And, now if you have a problem you'll really have fun ............

Well there may have been a problem, but quite frankly the Duraspark setup worked fine, it just never impressed me one bit. I used the same power wire to feed the conversion components and everything now works great! Yeah I know the gm modules have negative impressions but it isn't the worst thing around I don't suppose. Who knows?

Old 04-06-2004, 12:00 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 460powerhouse
are these tfi coils on any ford that has fuel injection and a distributor and what is the best one to ask for as in out of what vehicle
You want a duraspark II distributor that came on the carbed motors before they went efi, and a efi coil (tfi).

I asked for a tfi coil for a 93 5.8 (351) f-150 when I ordered mine. The distributor depends on what engine you have. I believe all three engines were carbed in 85 (302,351,460) and more likely than not they all used the duraspark II distributor, so you might try that year first, I know 87 was the last year for carbed 351w, and I believe 86 the 302 went efi. Easiest way to tell would be to look on www.autozone.com select 85 ford trucks and when the engines to choose from pop up, it will specify if its efi. Good luck

Old 04-07-2004, 12:22 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

first of all: buzziscrazy2 i want your engine, if it can run 10,000 rpm all day long! and as for chebbie(pontiac, but same thing) parts in my ford, it could be worse (as said), just meet my dad. plus if i had the money i would go aftermarket ignition, would it be satisfying if i got the accel 4pin? it would match my accel air filter.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:51 AM
460powerhouse
Junior User
y should not use an aftermarket coil like that diagram says

Old 04-07-2004, 10:38 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 460powerhouse
y should not use an aftermarket coil like that diagram says

Thats a good point and after I thought about it that didn't make sense. I roughly knew the answer but to be sure, I asked the person who originally started the tech article on another board to get the specifics. You can use any aftermarket coil, unless it specifically states "For CD ignitions only". It just happens that the tfi is a good coil and cheap.

I updated my original picture so it will no longer show up in the above post, so I will post it again for anyone who may be interested in it.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:29 PM
460powerhouse
Junior User
thanx for the update

Old 04-08-2004, 11:47 PM
JoeBlow
Senior User
and as for chebbie(pontiac, but same thing)

Hold on there buddy. I don't know what kind of vehicle you got your parts off of, but.... there was a time when Pontiac parts were different. As were Buick and Olds parts. Homogolation of corporate GM parts came about in the mid and late 70's.

Again, please don't think I am being rude, but... Pontiac parts aren't chevy parts.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:37 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

it came off a distributer that was with the trailer full of parts that came w/my moms 87 trans am, its not the distributer that came on the car, so i really dont know how to prove if its a chebbie or pontic**p

Old 08-23-2004, 09:08 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
hey i did this on my 89 mustang. i like it and i even used the little PC fan on my module which turns on with the key and is mounted behind the radio. my car will not ever see 10,000 rpms so i don't care about that point.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:15 PM
oldfordtrucker
Junior User
Thanks to JWT for sharing his experiences with the GM conversion. Based on the original thread, I fabbed up a plug-in harness from some old Duraspark parts and installed the GM module. I use a Jacobs variable core coil and left it alone. As a test, I put a spark plug in the coil wire and laid it on the valve cover. The Duraspark gave me a nice blue spark with a good "zap". I immediately changed over to the GM module leaving everything else exactly the same. The spark was yellow and weak. I have not driven the truck with the GM module, but have to assume the spark will be the same weak one as in the test. Any ideas as to why my conversion does not share an improved spark?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well I did the gm module duraspark II distributor, tfi coil conversion (long post)