FYI: Bio-Diesel and Grease

Old 02-13-2004, 11:19 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
FYI: Bio-Diesel and Grease

Hello all,

I just started running 2 grades of bio-diesel and have been pretty happy with the result.
In short, bio-diesel is a blend of vegetable oil and #1 grade (kerosene). I can buy this blend of B20 (20% veggie, and 80% #1) as a few pumps in californis as i can regular #2 diesel.

B100 is 100% refined veggie oil and cost about $1 more per gallon than B20 and #2.

Bio-diesel has a higher lubricating property than diesel so its good for long life. It also has MUCH lower sulphuric emmissions at the tailpipe.

However,its also possible to fit a kit from www.greasel.com which involves fitting an auxillary fuel tank or using a 2nd tank if your truck has one.
You then use a heating plate which gathers heat from your cooling sytem .
You then collect waste fry oil graese (WVO-waste veggie oil) from your local restaurant for free as they have to pay a service to dispose of it. This is found in vats behind the res. near the dumpster. It is neccesary to filter the grease with a mesh screen bag before use. The kit also has a cleanable Racor inline filter which needs periodic servicing.
A buddy of mine with a Cummins has this kit and with a 90 gallon WVO tank he recently got a little over 1000 miles on a roadtrip in addition to around 450 miles with his main (#2 diesel) tank.

I'm about to have the greasel.com guys build me a 90 gallon holding tank with a small tool box .

Anyway, i'm new here and i wanted to share the word of bio-diesel and grease conversions to you guys as i drive a 6.0 PSD.
Here in cali diesel can sometimes exceed $2 per gallon so even if you live in a place where diesel is cheaper, please log onto
www.biodisel.org and also www.greasel.com for an interesting read about an almost free alternative fuel source.

One last thing, it will change the odor of exhaust from the eye burning diesel to a slight french fry smell.
MMhhhhh, not bad!

Old 02-15-2004, 12:55 AM
tn mac
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sure would not run any in a 6.0 with all the problems they already have , can you say buy buy warranty.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:35 PM
sadcad
New User
Awesome!
I was actually going to write a similiar post about using grease in the new 6.0 psd. I noticed that they (www.greasal.com) have conversion kits for the 7.3 but not for 6.0. I am anxious about using this great resourceful method and hope it works.

Allthough it might be more of a pain in the ***, people need to be aware of the suppressed capabilities that diesals posses. And from what i have read, the designer of the diesel engine enginered it to run on vegatable oil a hundred years ago!!

Im curious on how it works out for you

Old 03-08-2004, 11:17 PM
smokeeater271
Freshman User
im looking into putting the greasel setup in my 2002 E-350, but can NOT find anyone or anyplace who makes aftermarket tanks for the E-350. ANYONE know who does? i want to keep my 35 gal diesel, want the aux tank for the greasel. would love to put spare inside and mounttake where spare is. any ideas/suggestions thanks.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:18 PM
smokeeater271
Freshman User
ooops mount tank. its late here, im tired. sorry

Old 03-09-2004, 10:28 AM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by smokeeater271
im looking into putting the greasel setup in my 2002 E-350, but can NOT find anyone or anyplace who makes aftermarket tanks for the E-350. ANYONE know who does? i want to keep my 35 gal diesel, want the aux tank for the greasel. would love to put spare inside and mounttake where spare is. any ideas/suggestions thanks.

Contact the greasel guys.
They have their own custom tank fabricating dept. and can make whatever you want at a really good price.

The *new* hot set up is a tank behind the cab that has 2 chambers. One side for gathering the WVO (grease) and another for burning.

Colors, options, whatever you want.........

Old 03-09-2004, 10:45 AM
smokeeater271
Freshman User
hey thanx loon, but van is used for people transportation. ill call greasel as u suggested. i have to get thru lots of red tape to get this 2nd tank on. i can imagine the ppl at DOT thinkin how nuts i must be to run a van on cooking oil (we know it they dont lol). i figured it would be much easier to buy an aftermarket add-on already DOT approved. having greasel make it (im sure it would be superior) might cause problems, who knows.but with diesel hitting close to 2 bucks a gallon here in NY, id love to lower my overhead. who knows, maybe my supervisors might get good PR out of it. but the first step in convincing them is the tuff part, then the idiots in the D.O.T. (like military intelligence, an oxymoron). id save 1500 a month in fuel if i could do it (more when i get my 2nd van, but the posts on the 6.0 arent sounding good, lol). but again thanx for the info stay safe, jimmy

Old 03-09-2004, 02:03 PM
JMorton
Senior User
The motorpool at the University of Colorado have been using Greasel for quite a while in all of their diesel powered busses with great success. I read the article a while ago and it would be a great way to go but seems like a it would be very time consuming and messy gathering, storing, and straining the used oil then disposing of the waste. If the process could be refined and made easier, I think everyone would do it and scare the heck out of the oil companies.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:41 PM
smokeeater271
Freshman User
hear ya JM, again can be time consuming etc. ive talked to charlie at greasel and he knows the score. however since i dont have a house and trying to convince someone to let me store cooking oil there (yea, ok) plus the situation of my earlier post brings me back to square one. once you get the setup down of heating the oil to let the heavy stuff sink keeping a couple of old 275 gal oil tanks (one to heat, one or 2 to store) might make it easier. and a bug zapper to kill the flies ur bound to get lolol.

Old 03-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Saw this broadcast message on the dieselmann website.

FYI - I would be careful... especially with all the "issues" with the 6.0LPSD's.

Updated: 1-11-04

Bulletins:

Ford's Position on Biodiesel:
Ford is advising that any of their vehicles powered by a diesel engine, regardless of manufacturer, may exhibit engine or fuel system problems when using fuels with greater than 5% Biodiesel. Any problems when using fuels containing more than 5% Biodiesel should be referred to the fuel manufacturer. Ford only recomends using fuels containing no more than 5% Biodiesel (B5) in their diesel powered vehicles. In addition, as per World Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) catagory 1-3, fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) must meet EN14214 and ASTM D 6751 specifications. Broadcast Message 0884.

Old 03-12-2004, 09:49 PM
shotgundan
New User
Talking

Look in your manual that came with your vehicle and see what percent bio fuel that FoMoCo recommends running. I don't think it is twenty percent. Any way all you tree huggers just unplug your egr valve and your mileage will increase on #2 diesel. A little more particulates to the atmosphere but hey a little longer crank case oil life so you make the call. Have a great day and hug a tree for me......

Old 03-13-2004, 07:52 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: FYI: Bio-Diesel and Grease

Originally posted by LOOnatic
Hello all,

I just started running 2 grades of bio-diesel and have been pretty happy with the result.
In short, bio-diesel is a blend of vegetable oil and #1 grade (kerosene). I can buy this blend of B20 (20% veggie, and 80% #1) as a few pumps in californis as i can regular #2 diesel.

B100 is 100% refined veggie oil and cost about $1 more per gallon than B20 and #2.

Bio-diesel has a higher lubricating property than diesel so its good for long life. It also has MUCH lower sulphuric emmissions at the tailpipe.

However,its also possible to fit a kit from www.greasel.com which involves fitting an auxillary fuel tank or using a 2nd tank if your truck has one.
You then use a heating plate which gathers heat from your cooling sytem .
You then collect waste fry oil graese (WVO-waste veggie oil) from your local restaurant for free as they have to pay a service to dispose of it. This is found in vats behind the res. near the dumpster. It is neccesary to filter the grease with a mesh screen bag before use. The kit also has a cleanable Racor inline filter which needs periodic servicing.
A buddy of mine with a Cummins has this kit and with a 90 gallon WVO tank he recently got a little over 1000 miles on a roadtrip in addition to around 450 miles with his main (#2 diesel) tank.

I'm about to have the greasel.com guys build me a 90 gallon holding tank with a small tool box .

Anyway, i'm new here and i wanted to share the word of bio-diesel and grease conversions to you guys as i drive a 6.0 PSD.
Here in cali diesel can sometimes exceed $2 per gallon so even if you live in a place where diesel is cheaper, please log onto
www.biodisel.org and also www.greasel.com for an interesting read about an almost free alternative fuel source.

One last thing, it will change the odor of exhaust from the eye burning diesel to a slight french fry smell.
MMhhhhh, not bad!
Talk to your dealer about your warranty, ask specifically….fuel

Old 03-17-2004, 09:55 PM
smokeeater271
Freshman User
very true, tim. i could see their faces as you ask them to run your psd on crisco. or how you want your truck to have that certain wessonality..lol

Search this Thread