Dive Reman or boneyard special

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:57 PM
drmeece
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dive Reman or boneyard special

Ok I know this is going to sound like I don't know what the heck I'm talking about..And there is a good reason for that...I don't..
I can get a new remanufactured dive long block with c9ve heads for 1150.00 or I can get two early 70's complete 460's (don't know the casting #'s yet) suposed to have ran when pulled engines for 150.00...
My question is would I be better off buying the reman or building one of the others..I'm hopeing to get 400 to 450 hp out of the build so i know i'll be buying cam and intake and carb and headers and porting heads for either way i go..
Can I get 450hp out of the reman without changing the pistons or rods...I'll try to port the heads myself with the help of the tape mentioned on this site (can't think of the name just now)
Oh one other thing if I go with the reman I'll still need to buy all the brackets ,starter alternator,dist,,you get the picture..
So was that long winded enough...Thanks for the help

Old 03-11-2004, 07:02 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Depending on the rebuild of the motor, 450 is possible. However, that depends on what the builder uses as far as rods, pistons and cranks, portwork, etc.

For $1100, I would seriously doubt that "as is" you're going to acquire 1 HP for every cubic inch.

And yes, a reman engine essentially includes the block, the stuff inside the block, the heads, and the stuff inside the heads. No water pump, no timing cover, certainly no accessories, and no tin (tin being valve cover gaskets, oil pan, blah blah blah). And you need an intake too.

Since most of that stuff costs dollars very easily, you could buy the two "probably running" 460's, and take all the accessories, intake, etc off, give the cruddier looking one back as a core for the $1100 engine, and have a complete running engine.

But, if you want 450HP, you need to have someone build specifically for that, or build it yourself, and farm out whatever machine work you can't do yourself.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:05 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
As a side note, I am going through this right now.

I found an 89 EFI truck engine, fairly complete, missing the PS pump and associated bracketry. A good friend of mine down south builds engines for a living, as a sole proprietor, so I'm buying a 500cid stroker shortblock engine from him. Shortblock is basically the block, and the "stuff" inside.

I already took off one of the two heads from the 89 460, and because I got such a good price on it I'm going to break even on all those parts, selling the block/pistons/crank to another person for essentially what I paid for the complete engine. This gives me heads, valve covers, springs, valves, EFI intake, throttle body, all the brackets (minus the PS pump and PS pump bracket), the air pump, and a variety of other things I'll need to complete the engine.

Just a thought.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:22 PM
neverenough
Elder User
If the D1 block is built to D1 specs with the C9 heads the motor will already have 365 gross hp, getting past 400 gross hp is just a cam and intake swap away. The problem is the 10.5 to 1 CR. That is about what I'm running in my truck, but it is specific built and I don't have the pinging/timing issues some people run into. Plus, I run 92 octane all the time. For a general everyday motor, it could work for you, but the fuel and/or fuel bill may become an issue over time.

Taking the 2 salvage motors and building one is a good option. It will take more work to get to the 400 gross hp mark, but it can be done and be able to run lower grade fuel with less issues. If you do a search, there are numerous threads on builds to put you in the hp range you desire.

Old 03-12-2004, 02:57 PM
drmeece
Freshman User
Thanks guys