Bronco II Ford Bronco II

EEC-IV bronco II

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 03:32 PM
geowolf
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post EEC-IV bronco II

where is the diagnostic plug on an 88 bronco II and which pins to connect to get codes. and oh yeah.... where is a good web page to get codes read....

Old 03-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 1989 Ranger its on the passengers side by the air filter box. Have you checked out the info I have on pulling codes and what they mean in the tech info post. I can also email pinpoint tests for specific codes.

I thought you pulled the codes?

Old 03-10-2004, 08:26 PM
geowolf
Junior User
havent tried to pull the codes yet. havent found the port yet. i work on cars for a living but all 96 + with OBD II and hobby cars are stuff like 79 mustang / 82 ram / 78 camaro / 68 comet / 69 roadrunner. things like that woth no computer.

I have however aquired the ECU from the new engine. not installed it yet but.. the 88 bronco II has a "E8TF" wich was for a 4X4 - 5 speed and the new one which this engine is reads "E9AF" and was originally a 4X2 ranger with auto trans. sooo. I am not sure how it will act but i will find out tomorrow when i work on it again. also this is an odd note... with the new fuel presure regulator i installed today it ran really weak but not rich(almost like it was too lean) then after about 3 minutes it went back to running like crap again and loading up.... which after buying my 4th set of plugs today it did it again. ran really weak with NO POWER and then got wayy to rich and runs like crap again. I am hoping this new ECU helps and .....(continued)...

Old 03-10-2004, 08:28 PM
geowolf
Junior User
if you could send me some info on where the port is to diagnose the codes/ which pins to cross and where the codes are on a web page or something that read each problem i would greatly appreciate it. I have read that no posting email addresses so i cant do that. it wont let me access yours( to new to the club) so hopefully you can access mine and send me some info. thanx again! TTYL

Old 03-10-2004, 11:40 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ken00 has posted the information in his tech info post at the top of this forum. You can also check in several other places on the net (Try a google search for Ford EEC-IV codes or something like that). My favorite is www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html Self test connector should be under the hood, on top of the passenger wheel well, between the air filter and the heater fan. If it hasn't been used in a while, it might be tucked down underneath some of the other components and wires that are in that area.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:02 AM
bgnbfy88
New User
Mine is a 88 and I believe it was under the steering column easy to get at.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:06 AM
geowolf
Junior User
welp in a few hours i will have the new ECU installed and see if it makes the difference. after the engine swap from the 88 to 91 engine i have done a complete tuneup / plugs,wires,cap,rotor i have set the timing and installed a new FPR. nothing seems to matter and i know the motor is good cuz it ran great in the ranger it came out of. i pulled out the plugs befor the swap and were clean but i replaced them anyway just to have new parts. the motor is still dumping way too much fuel and i havent solved the problem yet.

After previous posts and with tuns of info from all of you guys here ans especially KEN00 this is the last resort. I will update this posting later tonight when i get home and install the new ECU.

from a (E8TF) to a (E9AF) I dont know if there are any differences in the timing and or fuel management system but with a little luck it will be what makes the difference.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:07 AM
geowolf
Junior User
Any other ideas on what might cause a motor to run like crap and dump WAY too much fuel is greatly appreciated because the fuel delevery seems to be the cause of the problem that is happening.

I havent yet pulled the codes but then again the check engine light is not on. just that damn ABS light ( gonna fix that later ) .

talk to yall later. !

Old 03-11-2004, 10:29 AM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Have you ever hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and measured the fuel pressure?
fuel pressure regulator can cause a lot of fuel to get dumped into the system, either by leaking through the diaphragm or causing the pressure to be too high. A restriction/plug in the fuel return line can also cause fuel pressure to be too high and excess fuel gets dumped into the system. Won't know about any of these possibilities until you hook up a pressure gauge.
A fuel injector(s) that is stuck open or not closing completely can cause excess fuel to be dumped into the cylinders. Again, this can often be found through a fuel pressure gauge.
That's what I'd do next.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:32 AM
geowolf
Junior User
yup. 42 psi consistant at idle and 50 psi at 3000 RPM from what I am told that is about right. what kills me is that the engine ran great befor the swap. and the plugs were clean. now they are fouling out.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:25 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
I'm not sure that I would agree that those pressures are right. The 50 psi reading especially seems high. Specification is 35-45 psig with no vacuum to the regulator. As vacuum is applied or increased, the pressure should go down, not up.
BTW, Ken00, fuel pressure test procedure (I know I've seen many copies of a table/procedure in many manuals) might be a nice addition to your tech info post.

Old 03-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll take alook and see if I can find a good procedure on that topic mrshorty.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:55 PM
geowolf
Junior User
KEN00....
update.... new ECU installed...
runs somewhat smooth now but NO POWER!!! after engin warms up i messed with the timing and it gained some power but runs crappy... after getting completely warmed up it has a similar problem as described in message strand "Fuel Problem?" however NO SMOKE!! and

if you can remember all my previous strands I had done a tune up and new FPR but get this..... I am driving down the road and it will do nothing more than idle. if ya give it gas it pukes. then after a minute or so of this it dies and will not restart..

I have the new ECU installed (the correct one for this engine) and for the first time ever the (check engine) light actually came on.

After towing it home(cursing all the way) I am thinking to try the MAP sensor. and I am off tomorrow so i will probably try to pull the codes.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:47 PM
geowolf
Junior User
BTW did you know the letters of F.O.R.D. stand for many things? the one I noticed to be true the most is when you spell it back wards. D.R.O.F.

D. river
R. eturns
O. n
F. oot

true story! happened to me tonight. and in case you are wandering..... NO i didnt pull it home with my CHEVY! I used a Dodge. LMAO

Old 03-12-2004, 10:27 AM
geowolf
Junior User
UPDATE.......this morning would not wanna start. after cranking for about 2 minutes it finally starts and runs like i put in the new ECU. no power, and i pulled codes.....keep in mind it was like 22 degrees outside this morning..... codes; 21 / 24 / 89 / 86
no usefull information there. still pondering

Quick Reply: EEC-IV bronco II