General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Going to Virginia Beach in 10 days !

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 09:36 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Going to Virginia Beach in 10 days !

Hi all,
I'm taking a mini 3 day vacation down to Virigina Beach to meet up with some family. So, if anyone sees my truck down by that area, it's me We're leaving from CT, and we're following Mapquest.com's directions. It says it should take us about 9 Hrs to get there, and about 480 Miles or so. Hopefully I can make it on one tank of gas.
Anyone live down in that area ?
Any recommendations I should do before I go put 1K + miles on my truck in 3 days ? I've already made an app. to get my oil changed

Old 03-10-2004, 07:46 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in VA BCH.
I hope the weather is nice for you. We have a saying down here:
"If you don't like the weather, just wait an hour." Wesometimes go from sunny, 70's to cloudy 40's in a few hours' time. If you are staying right ion the beach, plan on doing more walking than driving. Although there is not much traffic at this time of year- although spring break is coming- it is just easier to leave the vehicle parked and walk the boardwalk. Word of warning, though: Don't park ANYWHERE you are not allowed to and display your parking pass prominently. There are many towing companies that make LOTS of money doing their job! They don't ask whose car it is, they just tow it if it is parked in the wrong place. Count on that short term storage costing about $75. The beach is not bad. There is an abundance of bars and restaurants. Lots of good seafood and steaks, and most of the bars still allow smoking inside. People are often surprised when they are asked if they prefer smoking or non-smoking! But, all-in-all it is your typical tourist town.

How are you getting here? I'm not sure if I would trust internet directions, as I have been misled in the past. Are you coming across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel? You should, if possible. It costs about $10 but saves you over an hour of driving time, not to mention the fact that it is pretty fascinating driving under the bay. If youneed specific directions, I may be able to help you out. I may also be able to direct you to some of the things you might be looking for, ie: a specific type of restaurant, etc.

Good luck and have fun.
STU

Old 03-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Re: Going to Virginia Beach in 10 days !

Originally posted by mbnv992

Any recommendations I should do before I go put 1K + miles on my truck in 3 days ? I've already made an app. to get my oil changed
Since your truck is new there is probably not a lot to be concerned about. Just make sure all your levels are topped up, your tire pressure is good (including spare) and make sure all your lights are working. Other than that, good luck and havefun!

-Matt

Old 03-10-2004, 09:40 AM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We were there this past summer and really enjoyed touring the naval base. There is a great naval museum featuring the battleship Wisconsin that you can tour for free! That thing is so monstrous you wonder how in the world that much 8" plate steel can possibly float. There is a harbour tour available that takes you out past all the navy vessels docked there. Those aircraft carriers were just awesome. Nice town, easy to get around in.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:42 AM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Thanks for the tips
We're driving down (taking my truck). And yes, we are going through the Tunnel. Should be a fun trip. Stu37d - If I need any help, I'll contact you For now we should be all set. (We're staying at a hotel right on the beach.)

Thanks again for the relpies.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:56 PM
gilraine
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
born and raised in virginia beach, loved every minute of it...

Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
How is that tunnel when driving through it ? Is it something like 13 miles long ? I LOVE tunnels

Old 03-11-2004, 05:24 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally posted by mbnv992
How is that tunnel when driving through it ? Is it something like 13 miles long ? I LOVE tunnels
It is a bridge/ tunnel. the entire length of it is about 13 miles, some underwater, some over it. The view is great. We have five tunnels in the Hampton Roads area- always wondered why they settled such a swampy area!

I had forgotten about the Wisconsin tour, as I walk around on a carrier every day, so the last thing I want to do in my off time is visit another ship- lol. Down there by the waterside, though, there is some pretty cool bars.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:18 PM
f350xlt460
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can go bay/bridge tunnel (rt 13 with a $10 toll) or you can take 95 S to 295 to 64E to 264E and that will put you right in the middle of atlantic ave in VA beach (no toll); it might be longer though from further up north like you are. Look up a place called the Beach Pub and go and eat dinner there. Its a local dive, not fancy, but good. I want to say its on Laskin Ave, about 2 miles from waterfont. Also, Neptunes ( a breakfast palce) is very good for breakfast.