Ticking at low idle - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Ticking at low idle

Old 03-04-2004, 11:35 PM
perk34
New User
perk34 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Ticking at low idle

Was just wondering what would cause my 2002 F150 4.2 v6 to tick while at an idle in gear. When you put it back in park the engine doesn't tick anymore. RPM is at about 600 when in gear and 800 out of gear. Only has 18,000 miles. Engine runs and performs great, just has this annoying tick while sitting at a stop light or siting still anywhere with it in gear.
Anyone know how to get rid of it. Change oil every 4000 miles. Use motorcraft 5w20 as recommended.

perk34

Old 03-05-2004, 12:55 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.
Is it a metalic type of ticking? umm kinda likea tin can, if so it is acutally your cats. if not it may alsao be your tranny, but my truck has a slight ticking only noticable at idle also, in gear or neutral never paid it much mind.

Old 03-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Busa01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
They all have that ticking noise. This issue has been addressed in prior threads. I had the same ticking noise under the exact same circumstances as you. I switched to 5w30 oil and that reduced/muffled the noise to a great degree. I don't even notice it anymore. We've also had extensive conversations about Fords idea of running a 20 weight oil in a truck engine and the "majority" of people disagree with Ford and run either 5w30 or 10w30, including most Ford mechanics. I'd consider a switch to 30 weight. But, I don't want to open THAT can of worms again.

The ticking is normal. Annoying, but normal.

Tom

Old 03-05-2004, 04:15 PM
perk34
New User
Thanks guys for the info. It really sounds like a lifter type tick. Although there is no diferance that I can see in oil presure, it had me alittle puzzled. I've had fords all my life 3.0 and 3.8 v6's and neither has done this in passed.
I do agree greatly about the oil thing though. I believe I will switch oil weights and see what happens. Thanks again.

Perk34

Old 03-10-2004, 10:30 AM
CHADD
New User
CHADD is starting off with a positive reputation.
i get the same ticking.. and i was told by numerous ppl that its just the injectors....

Old 03-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
16.3 at 83?? You must have a great start, then slow down at the end. 16.3 should yeild at least 84 mph. Your probably shifting or redlining right before you cross the finish line.

Tom

p.s. Welcome to FTE Chadd

Old 03-10-2004, 10:57 AM
CHADD
New User
Originally posted by Busa01
16.3 at 83?? You must have a great start, then slow down at the end. 16.3 should yeild at least 84 mph. Your probably shifting or redlining right before you cross the finish line.

Tom

p.s. Welcome to FTE Chadd
that was with out my traction bars and no mufflers... spinnning tires all through the 60 ft... with 2.3 60 ft times... and never leaving 3rd gear... my 3rd redlines at 90mph.... 5speed with 3.55 LS and 255/70/16 tires....

thanks for the welcome...

Old 03-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Wow, If you toss on some decent sticky rubber and a quality locker, you'll really kick some butt. When are you posting pictures???

Tom

Old 03-10-2004, 11:08 AM
CHADD
New User
Originally posted by Busa01
Wow, If you toss on some decent sticky rubber and a quality locker, you'll really kick some butt. When are you posting pictures???

Tom
as soon as i get some pictures developed ill post them... im to cheap for a digital cam so i take pictures with a reg cam and scann them in... i dont have any good picutres of my truck up yet... getting some good tires and probably a good locker this summer.... im thinking im like 15.8 15.9 right now....

Old 03-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
That's great.

Ok, we've hijacked this thread so, back to the ticking problem.

Perk,

Let us know if the sound subsides after you switch oils.

tom

Old 03-10-2004, 09:45 PM
perk34
New User
interesting statistics posted above. but its ok for you to highjack my thread. I didn't mind at all. My truck is still stock all the way but I'm thing of putting in super chip and doing some other mods in the near future. I will let you know what differances I find in changing oil grades.

Billy

Old 03-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.Jimmy Dean has a very good reputation on FTE.
CHADD you need me to drive I must have the magic feet

BONE STOCK

16.4 at 82 :P

Old 03-22-2005, 11:12 AM
xtraflriome
New User
xtraflriome is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't think that the ticking noise is normal. My 2002, 4.6 has a ticking noise during start up and at times during idle and running in gear. It is not a constant ticking noise. It is an intermittent ticking noise. I seem to think that the oil is not reaching the valves which may cause premature wear around the tappets(?). Any way somewhere along the threads someone mentioned that there is a oil pressure valve, or oil pressure relief valve(?) that is not functioning properly and that replacing it, with the upgraded valve, would resolve the ticking noise. How can I buy this upgraded valve,(if it exists), and that noone seems to know what I am referring to when I describe to them what it is? What is the correct name? Where do I buy this valve when the dealership parts warehouses in Phoenix, AZ don't carry it?

Old 03-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
man, this thread is 2 years old!!!!!

I've had a ticking noise since day one of buying my truck. I switched to thicker oil 5/30 and that fixed the problem. the 5/20 they recommend was too thin.

the engine on my Yamaha 2005 makes a bunch of weird noises too. alot of it is normal though.

that 4.6 should last for 300K miles, regardless of where the oil is going. That's a good motor.

Tom

Old 03-24-2005, 08:39 PM
James's f_1_fiddy01
Elder User
James's f_1_fiddy01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
yup it sure is

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking at low idle

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.