What can I do and not void my warranty - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

What can I do and not void my warranty

Old 03-04-2004, 08:52 PM
sriggle
Freshman User
sriggle is starting off with a positive reputation.
What can I do and not void my warranty

I have a 2003 F-150 STX 4.2 5spd --
What can I do to beef it up a little and not void my warranty. I only have put 7500 miles on it in 9 months

PS i am new to the forums- thanks in advance for the help!

Old 03-05-2004, 04:25 AM
pirotek101
Freshman User
pirotek101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well since i have seen that no one has answered your question yet, ill give it my best shot. i know most parts that wont void your warranty will state so on the item describtion. i hope that helps a little if you want to look around... i know for a fact that there are some cat back exhaust systems that wont void and some aftermarket intakes you can buy that wont void. Those two im positive of... oh yeh, there is also a performance chip called the "diablo" chip that alot of people get around here and it increases performance and does not void. but thats all im going to say because thats all im sure about

Old 03-05-2004, 01:34 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey sriggle,
Welcome to FTE. I can't say for sure what will and will not void warranty, but I believe the above post is pretty accurate.
I think these can be altered and it will not void your ENGINE warranty:
Exhaust
Chip
Intake (up to TB)

But remember, if ANY alterations cause failure of a warrantied component, that would not be covered.

Nice to have you here at FTE!

Old 03-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Busa01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also gear changes and additions of limited slip differentials.

Alot depends on the dealer also. Some are cool and will let you get away with more than others. Some may even void your warranty for hanging a pine scented tree freshner on your rear view mirror.....just kidding on that one.

But i've even heard from some guys in this forum that their dealer voided their warranty for putting a Flowmaster exhaust on. Rediculous I think, why should the dealer care. Ford Motor Company, who reimburses them for fixing the cars, doesn't know that the guy has an aftermarket exhaust. So the dealer is essentially passing up on business.....stupid.

Tom

Old 03-05-2004, 02:25 PM
sriggle
Freshman User
thanks for the input guys- I have a pretty cool dealer, maybe i can go talk to the service manager and find out what he will let me do!!

Old 03-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Busa01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
There you go. Smart move Sriggle.

Your stx is a 4.2??

Old 03-05-2004, 02:54 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.
REMEMBER....it is a MANUFACTURER's warranty you are worried about voiding. It is not a DEALER'S warranty.
Granted you have to deal with your local dealer (hence the name ) but your warranty is from Ford.
Just something worth keeping in mind.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:23 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
true4.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yup, exhaust, intake, chip, gears....mmmmmmmmmm

and no voidy voidy!

Old 03-05-2004, 06:15 PM
sriggle
Freshman User
yeah busa01 it is a 4.2. I guess I should check w/ the dealer and find out what Ford will let me do!!
I have also heard that it you use a programmer or a chip, that the dealer diagnostics can tell that it was used and can void your warranty. anyone have any thoughts on that?? also- does anyone have any experiances w/ differnt exausts? I dont care for the typical v6 w/ duals sound. I want performance not noise. (well not alot of noise, some noise is good!!)

thanks again

Old 03-06-2004, 05:41 PM
jbo2121
Senior User
jbo2121 is starting off with a positive reputation.
from what i understand forddelearships cannot void the truck's entire warranty if you modify a part. they can only void the warranty of the part that you modified. (unless it causes some other part to malfunction). also, yes, ford dealerships can and will void the computer warranty if you install a chip becasue even if you take it out they can tell it was there because you removed the lacquer. on the other hand, dealerships will have no way of knowing you use a tuner if you return the truck back to the stock program before you take it in. (this is one of the main reasons i am getting a tuner instead of a chip).

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.