Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 heaters, are they any good?

Old 03-03-2004, 04:48 PM
vrongpeis
Junior User
vrongpeis is starting off with a positive reputation.
56 heaters, are they any good?

will a 50 year old heater box cope with cold weather and icey windows?

Old 03-03-2004, 09:30 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
I am using the original heater in my '54 F-100 and after it warmsup I have to crack a window since it gets too hot. I have the recirculating heater and can not adjust the temperature, just the blower speed. I can not say if the defrosters would de-ice my windshield as I do not drive it in cold, wet, snowy weather, just cold and dry weather. Make sure you put new rubber weather stripping on your doors, a new insulated, underdash panel, and insulation in the headliner and on the floor under the seat and the floor mat.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:18 PM
husker
Post Fiend
husker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant future
Abe, I too have a 54 with the original heater and it also does a good job of keeping things warm in the winter. I put a shut off valve in the heater hose line to shut the flow off in the summer as the old valve was shot. Otherwise it gets a little warm. The original heater ought to work ok if it is in good condition.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:52 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
pcmenten is starting off with a positive reputation.
Re: 56 heaters, are they any good?

Originally posted by vrongpeis
will a 50 year old heater box cope with cold weather and icey windows?
Norway. Jeepers, I'll bet it gets cold in the winter.

I think the heater core can produce enough heat, if there's heat to be had.

I'd be installing a 195 (F) degree thermostat. What is that, 90 degrees C? Put a pressure cap on the radiator, maybe 12 lbs. Be sure to use a coolant recovery system to purge the air out of the cooling system. I've got a Mickey-Mouse jobber coolant recovery on mine. I'll be improving it soon, but it works for now.

Check the hot air hoses for the defroster. Mine were totally rotted. I replaced them with Auto-Parts-Store standard hot air hoses. Make sure that the cowl vent seals ok or you'll be fighting a loosing battle to keep heat in the cab.

Old 03-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Bessie
Senior User
Bessie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

I too have a 54 F100 and the heater really cooks. To keep em that way, a regular flushing of the system works like a charm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.