Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Here we go, Ford over timing chain issue SOHC!!!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Katmandu
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 1081
I pulled my engine and it was the rear chain gude that broke. When it did it even cracked the valve cover. I was going to repair it, even had the parts, then found out that every valve but one was bent. I purchased the car with the noise so it obviously had been driven. I have 88k miles on it and found an engine with 75k on it so I dropped another motor in it.
Precisely why I sold my Explorer.... BEFORE that **** happened! It's inevitable!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 PM
geo455
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geo455
I just completed this job on my 2000 Explorer. Replaced the left cam tensioner, added the oil restrictor, replaced the main chain (crank to jackshaft) tensioner and guide, and replaced the balance shaft chain guide since I was in there (4x4 only). All updated parts. In my case all of the noise was in the front. Didn't bother changing chains. They looked good. About 90% of the time the problems with the sohc are going to be in the front based on all the research I did prior to starting this job. No indication yet of any problems on the back of the engine. After 142k the motor is still strong and now quiet. Just sharing my experience.
Update: 156,000+ after fix and still going strong.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
acetum
New User
I hadn't seen any real pictures of your guys/problems. I've started getting into ford engines just recently.

A buddy of mine can to me asking me to fix his noisy explorer and thus i wandered on to this site. But with a little google, and an air-conditioned garage.

I did all his tensioners and good overall inspection for about 350. Took about 14 hours from start to finish.

But in case anyone ever needs some future info: Here is a pretty pic, sorry its so late.

The only real excuse we have for not fixing something the right way is straight up lazyness. Shame on Ford.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:46 PM
phatty
New User
do they make a kit per say for this ???

Originally Posted by acetum
I hadn't seen any real pictures of your guys/problems. I've started getting into ford engines just recently.

A buddy of mine can to me asking me to fix his noisy explorer and thus i wandered on to this site. But with a little google, and an air-conditioned garage.

I did all his tensioners and good overall inspection for about 350. Took about 14 hours from start to finish.

But in case anyone ever needs some future info: Here is a pretty pic, sorry its so late.

The only real excuse we have for not fixing something the right way is straight up lazyness. Shame on Ford.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 AM
FloydGeorge104
New User
Recall on 4.0l

if you go to exolorerform.com one of the posts says there is a recall nn the fords with this issue with the 4.0 l engine. ford is doing every thing Not to take the hit on there crap. I talked with the ford tec supervisor yesterday and i asked him what oil to put in the 4.0l motor, he said 5w20. i told him I had been using 5w30! then he said I had been using the Wrong oil. Then I showed him my book! It says 5w20 for the 4.6l and 5w30 for the 4.0l. he then tried to get my book and then said "you did not change your oil every 3000 miles. Any excuse they can come up with is there game. then he said that the diffrence in oils would not cause the issue. do these people have any value system at all.
I look up the goverment recall on this motor, 25, that it just 25.. From what I have been reading for the past 2 weeks there are more than 25 people who have this issue. the only way to get "FORD" to fix there crapie engine if for people to start calling the goverment and complain about this. We need for people to call,call,call. look what people did tp toyota. if we just think, owe well, nothong will get done.. Its crap to think ford did know about this issue and just think they could waite it out call and hope most of the engines would go out of warenty so they would "NOT" have to fix them.
if my spelling sucks, thats because I am pissed. call 888-327-4236 this is the only way we can get ford to fix there crap. dont just bitch call the number.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:52 PM
FloydGeorge104
New User
Ford 4.0l

Its me again. called FTC.gov phone 1-877-382-4357 they told me if you have one of these engines and have the same issue with the cam tensioners and ford has there reasons Not to fix it, call them and file a complaint. do it now. the more we get the better it is for us with thwat p o s engine.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 PM
holleyman
Freshman User
Dragging up an old thread but I just finished replacing the timing chains on a 2001 Sport Trac and it was an adventure. The rear timing cassette plastic failed and made one hell of a racket. The timing chain didn't skip (thankfully) and the valves looked great. This engine only has 112,000 KM on it as we don't drive it much. I am at a loss how someone can do this job in 14 hours?!?!?!?! Pulling the engine and re-install alone was more than that.
A hateful engine, I'm glad the job is done and I never want to do that again. I have a cam timing tool kit that I will never use again as well.
I can't believe Ford designed and sold this engine design.

Is there any outstanding issues with the 4.6L in 2010 Sport Trac? I would like to get rid of the 2001 and upgrade to a 2010.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by holleyman

Is there any outstanding issues with the 4.6L in 2010 Sport Trac? I would like to get rid of the 2001 and upgrade to a 2010.
I believe the 4.6 is a pretty fail-safe engine. Some years had issues with head gasket leaks and others had sparkplugs blow out as well as others had sparkplugs that broke upon removal.
My Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC has had no engine issues and is now at 197,000 miles and my Navigator 5.4 DOHC did have a plug blow out a few weeks back that I repaired with a minimal amount of sweat and cussing. Ford's DOHC V8s seem to be the most reliable engines that they have produced in recent years but they are no longer in production. The Lincoln Aviator was the last to use the 4.6 DOHC and there are some very low mileage ones available on the used market. My Mark VIII gets over 20 mpg around town and the Navigator is pretty consistant at about 17 mpg. I don't baby either of them and love to stomp on the gas once in a while.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:37 PM
00fxd
New User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
I believe the 4.6 is a pretty fail-safe engine. Some years had issues with head gasket leaks and others had sparkplugs blow out as well as others had sparkplugs that broke upon removal.
My Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC has had no engine issues and is now at 197,000 miles and my Navigator 5.4 DOHC did have a plug blow out a few weeks back that I repaired with a minimal amount of sweat and cussing. Ford's DOHC V8s seem to be the most reliable engines that they have produced in recent years but they are no longer in production. The Lincoln Aviator was the last to use the 4.6 DOHC and there are some very low mileage ones available on the used market. My Mark VIII gets over 20 mpg around town and the Navigator is pretty consistant at about 17 mpg. I don't baby either of them and love to stomp on the gas once in a while.
Could you please be more specific about what year 5.4 was that had the plug blow out?

Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 00fxd
Could you please be more specific about what year 5.4 was that had the plug blow out?
My 5.4 DOHC is a 2001 engine in a 2000 Navigator and could have been due to a previous servicer over-tightening or under-tightening the plug in question. You never know with a used vehicle or engine.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:32 PM
00fxd
New User
Thanks, so that would be a 2 valve engine?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 00fxd
Thanks, so that would be a 2 valve engine?
It is a 5.4 DOHC 4 valves per cylinder or 32 valve engine.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Ridenred333
Senior User
WHat yr of sohc 4.0l does this apply to. Thanks

Old 07-17-2011, 01:31 AM
00fxd
New User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
My 5.4 DOHC is a 2001 engine in a 2000 Navigator and could have been due to a previous servicer over-tightening or under-tightening the plug in question. You never know with a used vehicle or engine.
That must be so - wilkipedia shows that the 2 valve v8 engines have the plug thread issues, the 3 valve v8's have the breaking plug issues. No reported problems with the 4 valve.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Wanna B GT
New User
Originally Posted by cfrives3
okay, finally on the eighth page i reached the end. This is just my opinion. I too have a 98 explorer. We bought it used at a dealer with around 50k on it. At 176,000 miles, yes 176k, I brought it home on my lowboy, because it sounded like my '83 6.9. Final diagnosis after inspection- main timing chain tensioner, "cassette" on passenger side (rear) cam chain. This means motor removal. Put ALL new chains, guides, tensioners in it for about $500, when you count all the crap you need to buy when you pull a motor. If you do it yourelf, you need the tool to time it, unless you are extremely intelligent, personally, i wouldn't try it and I do everything myself on all 5 of my trucks, 4 quads, and 1 streetbike. I love this little explorer, I think it's sad so many hate theirs. Yea, the design of this motor sucks, but I put approx. 125k on it having done nothing other than service it regularly. I just can't bring myself to complain about a truck that pull starts all my other stuff, and pulls 5 or 6 quads on road trips several times a summer. Any questions feel free. I don't know about recalls or that kind of stuff, but having done this job, I got a pretty good grasp of the mechanical aspect of this particular problem.
How do you go about setting the time on their pc of crap I have a 2003 Exploder and have the timing chain clank. I just replaced the rear timing chain, guides, tensioners have drove it for about 1 mo and now the noise is put me down again after 1800.00 in repairs that Ford didnt do!!! Please help as I am spent! Thanks for any input you can offer.

Quick Reply: Here we go, Ford over timing chain issue SOHC!!!! Help!!