1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Aftermarket Cruise Control System For 1992 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Cruise Control System For 1992 Ranger

I'm fixing to start doing some serious driving back and forth from Nashville here in the next few weeks and I want to make is as pleasureable as possible.My grandfather is having a liver transplant and he's going to be in Nashville anywhere from 6-8 weeks.

Between my town and Nashville is about 150 miles.It's all interstate @ 70mph.So,cruise control would be perfect for this situation.I found an electronic cruise control system made by Audiovox from JC Whitney and I was wondering if it would work for my application?The link isn't going to work on this site,but it's item number AJK810344U.

Here's everything the listing says about this product -

ELECTRONIC CRUISE CONTROL FOR CARS AND LIGHT TRUCKS
Compact command module is about 1-1/8" x 2" to mount unobtrusively on dash with tape included
Servo is 30% smaller than conventional systems for easier installation in tightest engine compartments
Built-in electronics help speed up installation
Maintain a consistent, pre-set speed and you'll drive more comfortably and safely. You'll also get more miles from every gallon of gas by avoiding unplanned speed changes. Functions include: Set, Coast, Resume, Accelerate, Decelerate, Tap Up/Down and On/Off. Easy to install with ordinary household tools. Hooks up to existing vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or monitors speed off driveshaft with magnet kit included for vehicles without VSS. Includes wiring, instructions.

Vacuum canister (81ZX0346R) is recommended when installing cruise control on vehicle with 4 cylinders or less (available separately). Note: Will not fit Honda vehicles.

Now,I have 2 questions about this system -

1) Will I need to purchase the vaccum canister along with this system for my 2.3L Ranger?

2) Will I need the VSS Adapter to make the cruise work correctly?

Any insight is appreciated.

Nightrain

Old 02-25-2004, 10:39 AM
JohnC136
New User
I installed a similar model in my 93 4cyl 5 spd about 10 years ago. Didn't use a vacuum canister, and as a result when the "set" button is pushed it takes a few seconds for the speed to grab hold. No big deal to me, but a personal choice. The kit gave the option of using the VSS or the magnets. I went for the VSS connection...more like the factory hookup and it was easy. I used the magnets on a former installation...a 64 Chevy II!, and the speed hold seemed to drop out too much. Good luck!

Jake C.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
How much is this? Would like to do the same to the ol ride aswell.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Originally posted by JohnC136
I installed a similar model in my 93 4cyl 5 spd about 10 years ago. Didn't use a vacuum canister, and as a result when the "set" button is pushed it takes a few seconds for the speed to grab hold. No big deal to me, but a personal choice. The kit gave the option of using the VSS or the magnets. I went for the VSS connection...more like the factory hookup and it was easy. I used the magnets on a former installation...a 64 Chevy II!, and the speed hold seemed to drop out too much. Good luck!

Jake C.
Thanks for the info.I think that I'll go with this one and I'll probably pick up the canister to go with it since it's only $12 more.That way,it'll be setup right .Does my 1992 Ranger have the VSS on it or will I have to use the magnets?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Traxxis
How much is this? Would like to do the same to the ol ride aswell.
Not that much at all.Only $119.99 for the kit that I'm looking at.About $140 with the kit,canister,and shipping.Not bad all.I'm looking at another kit now which is suppose to look "OE".JC Whitney has it also.It looks like it replaces the blinker handle,but I don't know.They only show a few select models.I'll probably stick with the Audiovox kit and mount the control module down by my steering column though.

Thanks again!

Nightrain

Old 02-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
I believe that I found the best place to mount the control module.Any of you that have 1989-1992 Ranger's will know where I'm talking about.The area under the headlight switch on the dash bezel is the perfect place to mount that module.It's in the perfect spot for my arm to reach and it's just simply conveinent .I'm going to be ordering this kit here in the next few days.

Ken -

If you could,would you check some of your manuals and see which wire is for my VSS?I can't seem to find it in my Haynes manual.Does my 1992 even have a VSS?

Thanks.

Nightrain

Old 02-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Okay,upon studying my Haynes manual for my Ranger several times,I believe that my Ranger has a VSS.It shows a diagram with a Pink/Orange wire going into the sensor and a Gray/Black coming out of it,going into the EEC.Is that correct?If so,which one do I need to splice into?

Nightrain

Old 02-26-2004, 10:03 AM
JohnC136
New User
I wish I could just look under the hood and give you the answer but unfortunately I replaced my 4cyl with a 3.0 recently. In any case, the instructions that came with the kit were very explicit as to where the connections go. If you are at all comfortable working around cars you will have no trouble, I'm sure.

By the way, my kit came with a stalk that mounted on the steering column below the directionals.

Jake

Old 02-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Thanks Jake.JCW has those "stalk" kits.I'm thinking of calling them and asking exactly what the one for the Ranger application looks like.Other than that,I'll just go with this Audiovox kit.I reckon I've found the perfect place to mount the control module.But either way...

Thanks for your help.Surely I won't have any trouble upon installation.I don't mind doing any of my own mechanical work,but I become "iffy" when I start working with electronics.If I can find out exactly what EACH wire's color code is,I have no problems.Finding one specific wire among thousands of others is a large task sometimes lol.

Nightrain

Old 03-02-2004, 03:48 PM
trxus
Freshman User
the pink/orange wire should be the ground and the the grey/black should be the signal. The signal is used for the cruise and for the computer. your ranger will have the speed sensor on it. at the back of the transmission is the speedometer cable, the sensor is on the end of it. I had to go throught the same when i put cruise in mine. I used a cruise unit out of an 89 mustang 4 cyl. it worked fine but I changed the steering wheel so that I would have the buttons on the wheel then also had to put in and modify the mustang turn signal switch because it hit the wheel. My buddy installed the audiovox in his ranger and it works great.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Thanks for the tip.So my Ranger has a grey/black wire and that's for the VSS signal or the wire for the kit?Since you said the pink/orange is the ground,it sounds like the wires with the kit.

Nightrain

Old 03-02-2004, 05:56 PM
trxus
Freshman User
they grey/black wire goes to the computer in your pickup. just splice into it for your speed sensor signal input for your controller. I'm not sure how audiovox does their wiring though. I could email you a copy of the setup out of the ford electrical vacuum & troubleshooting manual if I could get an address on here

Old 03-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Don't think that you can get an address.Everytime you type one in,they post a link to some other site.Check out my site here.Look for one of the posts by "Jacob" and click on the PM button.That's my e-mail .That place is a ghost town,but you can e-mail me from there.

Sounds good on the grey/black wire.So I splice into the pink/orange for ground?

Nightrain

Last edited by Nightrain; 03-02-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:23 PM
trxus
Freshman User
yeah for a signal ground. the control will probably want a power ground too, just use chassis ground for that.