1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aux trans cooler/filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:15 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question aux trans cooler/filter

i am going to be putting an aux trans cooler on and have thought about an aux spin on type trans filter as well (figure while i have everything apart i could do it all at once)my questions are should i put it before or after the aux cooler, and by adding the filter will it lower the trans fluid pressure enough to cause any adverse effects,and should i put the filter on at all? thanks again in advance

Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
doesn't anyone have any input on this for me

Old 02-24-2004, 07:28 AM
GAV10
Senior User
I don't have any experience with the spin on type filters. I have only known one person to have have one on a SD, and he removed his after several months.

Ford does have a procedure to verify proper flow for the trans coolers. You must remove the return line from the cooler (s) where it enters back into the trans (rear line) and measure the amount of fluid pump in an exact amount of time. Example 750 CC's in 1 minute. This is not the exact number, but I can dig it up for you if needed. Ford even makes a kit with a calibrated container to check the flow. I can get the P/N for this when I get home tonight.

Mark

Old 02-24-2004, 10:36 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used the Permacool filters in the past.

They seem to do a good job at cleaning the fluid, it's hard to tell with a well maintained tranny in the firts place.

The only gripes I have are 1) It increases the number of potential leaks and tranny fluid always finds leaks and tranny fluid is really bad for rubber bushings. 2) It is a PITA to find a good mounting spot, I have mine under the washer fluid tank mounted on the plastic fenderwell but vibration worries me.

A tranny shop told me that the filter would remove any symptoms of pending problems with the tranny so it could give you a false sense of security and could lead to poor maintenance.

I would think if you change fluid fairl y often say 12K miles, the filter may have no benefit. If you go for the factory 50K miles it may help but could hide problems until it was too late. I recommend frequent checks of the fluid for color and smell and always check the pan when you change fluid.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 02-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Rainer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the Magnafine filter. You can get it at a Ford dealership. It has a filter and magnet that filters the fluid. Ford now puts them on all transmissions that come in for warranty repairs. I just replaced mine after 20k. I took it apart and found about a teaspoon of fine metal it had filtered out. Supposed to extend the service interval. Check out this web page http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

If you go to ford, just ask for the in-line trans filter. They will not know what you mean if you ask for a Magnafine filter. It comes with a Ford label but its a Magnafine. The first time you get one buy the kit and just the filter thereafter. I paid 30.00 for just the filter.

Mike