Sponsored by: DP Tuner

reset my computer = return to good mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 04:26 PM
feddoc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reset my computer = return to good mileage

I have owned 4 diesels in the past, all Fords but have never come across this problem.

The Navy moved me from one spot to another in California. Immediately after the move, I noticed my truck (2002 F350 4X4 6speed, 3.73 ) had a drop in fuel mileage to about 13-15 @ 75 mph.

I changed all filters, checked air pressure, switched fueling points, crawled underneath to look for something.....Nothing worked.

I read on another forum that by disconnecting the battery (and resetting the computer) my mileage would increase. Ha, I thought it had no chance of working.

But, immediately after I reconnected the batteries after about a 2 day wait, my mileage on the same roads at the same time of day and same speeds increased to just a bit above 17.

Does anyone know why?

thanks

Old 02-17-2004, 04:32 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
how far did you move? any difference in daily temps and elevation? not sure, but I'm willing to disconnect mine and rehook to see if it changes to better mileage.

...by the way, how long did you disconnect it?

Old 02-17-2004, 04:35 PM
feddoc
Senior User
I moved from China Lake to Lemoore, about a 4 hour drive. We did it at the end of November and I began noticing the mileage decrease in January. Not that it didn't happen before, as I don't drive the truck very much.

Elevation changes weren't much althought China Lake is a bit higher than Lemoore. Temps about the same.

Old 02-17-2004, 04:43 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
hmmmm...just wondering...I have heard of several guys moving to from a lower elevation to higher (or vice versa) and their mileage decreasing significantly. then they reset the computer and get it back.

any chance you moved north enought in california to get winterized fuel where you weren't getting it before? they would cause a change in mileage, but resetting the computer wouldnt' get it back. have you added or changed any componets (switched air filter systems, exhaust, chip) ...if the answer is no to all of those too, then I'm out of suggestions.....hang around though, I'm sure the rest of the gang will be around to chime in shortly. good luck figuring it out...but you can't complain about increase in mileage.

Old 02-17-2004, 05:09 PM
feddoc
Senior User
Nope,

Nothing else changed. At first I thought it might have been winterized fuel or maybe a goof in the exhuast backpressure valve or a suction air leak.....

Old 02-17-2004, 06:24 PM
fast freddie
Senior User
I disconnected the batteries on my truck 2 weeks ago. It hasn't used ANY fuel!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.