Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

'Lights on' chimes when lights are off

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 08:14 PM
mollyMountaineer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Lights on' chimes when lights are off

Anytime that my '97 mountaineer is off and the drivers door is open, the 'lights on' chime dings. Very annoying. Any ideas? The chimes shut off when the car is started.
Thanks in advance

Old 12-18-2004, 08:17 PM
dr jag
Freshman User
headlamp switch or gem module problem.

dr jag

Old 12-19-2004, 08:13 AM
K2JJB
Elder User
I know that this is going to sound silly, but are the keys still in the ingition when you are trying this? I can not recall what my Mountaineer does (and it's too cold for me to run out there right now ) but I am pretty sure that if I leave the keys in the ignition when I open the driver's side door it chimes at me to remind me to take them with me.

While not 100% about the Mountaineer I know that my Mazda most certainly does this.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:20 AM
mollyMountaineer
New User
I do not think the question about the keys is odd. I troubleshoot electronics for a living, first law- Check the power plug, second law- check the power switch, third law- check the fuse. Then troubleshooting starts in earnest. Yes, this is with the keys removed. It will ding if you leave the keys in as well.
I will check the headlamp switch. I had replaced the bulbs in the instrument cluster about 3 weeks before this started happening. Maybe the connector is loose? I do not know what the GEM module is. Could you please elaborate?
Thanks,
Paul