Computer Chips & Tuners  

Explain Chips to me. 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 03:42 PM
BigDawg54
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explain Chips to me. 5.4L

ok, i did several searches but found nothing that caught me eye. i am extremely nervous about adding a performance chip to my '03 5.4L.
-does it really work?
-what about warranty?
-Premium fuel?
-will the OEM chip readjust everyting when i put it back in?
-is it true that the new chip allows your engine to perform how it should....unrestricted?
-Emissions problems?
-does it ever S.N.A.F.U.? (Situation Normal, All Freaked Up)
-air intake and exhaust to compliment it right?

im sure its been covered before, but i want specifics for my truck. thanks for your pateince

-bigdawg

Old 02-15-2004, 03:51 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 02-15-2004, 04:21 PM
BigDawg54
Elder User
well i read my warrenty book and it basicly says that they pretty much wont honor a warrenty if the trucks been modified. why do they make all these parts if you legally cant put them on?? i'll have to talk to my service guys and see what they think. im pretty freindly with them so maybe they wont mind. any other advice? i guess i should stick with the diablo sport chip, keep it simple.

Old 02-15-2004, 06:22 PM
openclasspro
Senior User
check out sema organization- pretty much states- the mfg MUST PROVE that the part installed caused the problem-phil

Old 02-16-2004, 07:45 AM
khmorse
Senior User
Get the Superchips Micro-tuner 1715. It's a tuner, not a chip. You can adjust the program for different driving styles/needs, gears, tires, etc. If you have to take it into the shop, as recommended by the Superchips, you just reload the stock program. It literally takes just 10 mins like Superchips states.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:14 PM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
I was hesitant to modify my new truck too. You can see my gallery for some simple pictures. In short, I asked all the same questions. I'll do my best to answer them, I know Ken sent you to the FAQ - if it makes you feel better I bought my chip from him because of the mass of knowledge, support and experience; but I made the decision after asking a lot of people. If you buy, buy from him.

-does it really work?
** absolutely. changed the entire drivability for me. more throttle response, pulls stronger and more smooth across the entire rpm range. a couple more mpg from what i see so far too. after the fun factor increased, the mpg is not so much an issue but nice.
-what about warranty?
** I would just pop the chip out if it needed warranty service related to electronics.
-Premium fuel?
** yes, required. i used mid-grade anyway so it was not a big deal.
-will the OEM chip readjust everyting when i put it back in?
** the computer box has a port which is empty from the factory. the diablo chip plugs into it and allows for the reprogramming. removing the chip will put everything back to stock
-is it true that the new chip allows your engine to perform how it should....unrestricted?
** i don't know about unrestricted, but it is certainly "enhanced" in a lot of ways. I am impressed with the noticable pull up to 3000 rpm in the normal driving range and the strong pull from 3000 in the get out of my way range
-Emissions problems?
** we are an emissions state but I only have 5600 miles on it so far and I am told there is no effect on emissions
-does it ever S.N.A.F.U.? (Situation Normal, All Freaked Up)
** told it won't, has not done it to me so far
-air intake and exhaust to compliment it right?
** i am told they will assist in the enhancement, I have not done either yet

I would go for it knowing what I know now... it was the best upgrade I have done to any vehicle in a long time... especially for the money. Heck, I could have spent 4 grand on a supercharger

Old 02-17-2004, 06:25 AM
BigDawg54
Elder User
thanks a lot guys. i really appreciate your input, opinions and reasurance.

Old 02-18-2004, 03:42 PM
ChevySniper
Senior User
dang, I can't wait to get a chip...92gt5ohred..between you and openclasspro, you guys have convinced me.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:48 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice performance gains for sure, but having to use Premium fuel...Ouch!!! If you increase your MPG by 1.5 or 2, then the Premium just wipes out any benefit.

Why does the "diablo" upgrade call for Premium anyway??? Or is it more of a recommendation?

Old 02-18-2004, 11:02 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Its an absolute requirement and engine damage will occur if you run for an extended period of time without it (pitting on the pistons due to detonation). It requires it because the engine spark timing is advanced and the air/fuel ratio changed.

You'll tend to break even on fuel costs. Its a performance product, not a mileage product.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:53 AM
SMiller
Elder User
If the chip is burned right you will be very very happy!!! I love mine!

Old 02-19-2004, 06:26 AM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
I am not made of money but the overall drivability is so much nicer and the performance gains are very noticable.... such that I don't really feel bad about the premium fuel cost.

In the end, it is still a truck and I did not buy it for mpg. I think what I am spending per month is nearly the same, like Ken said, the mpg increase offsets the $ increase for the most part.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:06 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see the HP/MPG gains are nice and I understand that Premium fuel is needed with the Diablo, but I am looking for something that will increase my HP and MPG...keeping the regular fuel as an option.

Anybody think that is possible???

I have to say, just because it is a "truck" does not mean I shouldn't try and get the best fuel mileage I can. I have the 5.4L for a reason. If I wanted a gas guzzling engine...I would have opt for the V10. I'm trying to make an efficient engine MORE efficient thus resulting in better HP and MPG. I think it is possible...or should I say, "Hoping".

Old 02-19-2004, 11:28 PM
ChevySniper
Senior User
biz4two

I would suggest maybe a tonneu cover..I let my tailgate down and if I drive right, I get about 18 on the road...the only mod that I have (for now) is 3" pipe and MagnaFlow muffler..

good luck..

Old 02-20-2004, 01:36 PM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
I am not the expert; but I think for the chip (programming in general) to make a MPG gain you need the premium fuel. Some of the gains are done by optimizing air fuel mix and timing, those can be deadly to the engine if it is done wrong. Basically, you need fuel with a higher combustability (how about that for a word) to actually allow the other tweaks to work. I'd go for a tonneau or try to lose some weight someplace if the premium fuel is a deal breaker.

Quick Reply: Explain Chips to me. 5.4L